EQ block allready set up dialing out over produced tones in your average PA FRFR monitor

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone as already worked on this......EQ block already set up dialing out over produced tones in your average PA FRFR monitor.

I have read time and time again about these unwanted frequencies but don't know where to start when trying to lower (or boost) them in a PEQ block.

I do know how to make a high low pass filter but shouldent there be some notching or boosting going on too?

Attachments

• PEQ_block.jpg
    PEQ_block.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 22
Since there is no such thing as an average PA FRFR monitor this would be a little pointless - each situation is different. Practise using your ears on any old speaker so that you can recognise the sound of each frequency band.

To put it another way:

If your ears aren't seasoned enough to hear what frequencies are being overemphasized, you'll need to run a spectrum analyzer on the speakers you're trying to fix, in the room you're trying to fix, because each situation will be different.

Cutting off the outer ends of the bandwith is often a good idea but with most of the profesional cab IRs there's no need to do it.
Using the 10bd EQ of the output section of the axe-fx to make small corrections on the outer range of the spectrum depending on the room is often a good idea.

Corretions in the mids to iron out weak frequencies of your audio systems is way more complicated.
Some gaps in the frequency chart are physical limitations, you can put more energy into the amplifier, but still those gaps won't disapear or the gaps gets filled but that adds distortion there. You can live with these gaps or get rid of such monitors.
To find the weaker frequencies by ear is hard. When you make measurements you need a mic with a flat response curve and make not just one take, you need to place that mic on different angles in front of the monitor and see what problens of the curve are always there from any direction, these are the ones to care about. Lot's of work!
My best bet: Don't correct too much, buy good stuff and play ot like it is.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom