EPIC FAIL: I accidentally put the USB cable on the MFC plug, Axe II burning smell

It appears I may have joined the club. No issues with the axe, I didn't plug the cable in completely. Still in tone bliss but I do intend on getting an MFC soon, should I sent it in or would I be able to determine any issues by opening it up?

The club gets bigger.
Fractals repair prices are pretty fair and fast, so you should be good.
Also, Welcome to the club, I did this too in a darkened practice room...

I almost did that same thing twice. When you are reaching around the back of a deep rack in a dimly lit area it is too easy to plug into the wrong jack because they are right next to each other. When possible now I flip the rack on its side to make connections before putting it on the stand and don't power up until I am sure it is correct.

Would the Axe still function properly if you clipped the connector off of an old Ethernet cable and kept it plugged in to avoid this possible disaster?

Would the Axe still function properly if you clipped the connector off of an old Ethernet cable and kept it plugged in to avoid this possible disaster?

A Piece of tape will do more then good enough.
Clipping a connector off have a high risk of shortcutting the wires that remain in the connector.

Last edited:
Just get an Ethernet cable end without any contacts in it and plug that in. They are cheap and sell by the bag most likely or you may be able to get a single one at your local electronics store.

I just joined the club! Typical burning smell but Axe has been working fine for the last 5 hours.

Have any of you fellow club members who have not sent the unit in for repairs had any long term issues or are your Axe IIs working fine?

I just joined the club! Typical burning smell but Axe has been working fine for the last 5 hours.

Have any of you fellow club members who have not sent the unit in for repairs had any long term issues or are your Axe IIs working fine?

I think it just screws up the Ethernet port. I could be wrong. I didn't want to take a chance so I sent it back.

Doing this usually causes the MFC port to stop passing power. Otherwise, everything usually works fine.

Doing this usually causes the MFC port to stop passing power. Otherwise, everything usually works fine.

That's good to know. Any other folks here who don't use the MFC port and who didn't send off their unit for repairs?

Did this myself last fall everything worked but the mfc j 45 port , had to run my mfc through midi port till I could send it for repair ! cost around $80 + shipping both ways. Works great now!

FWIW, most of the time, it's just the power pin on the RJ-45 port that dies. The port can still be used as long as you use an external power supply for the MFC.

Tape = yes - It would be nice if FAS could source some of those RED injection molded plastic plugs for these ports, and have them inserted in the new units as this (dumb as it seems) has happened several times now and is a real threat to the units in general. We should know better, and obviously guys don't intend to nuke their prized gear. But it seems to happen every once and awhile without fail. I believe these are already being used by other electronics firms and guessing that they would be less then $0.10 - $0.25 each, maybe less in bulk from Chinese electrical component houses.
Maybe someone here with electronic part sourcing know how might know an internet link to some supplier that we could order them from if wanted??? Would be nice to have a solution other than taping off the port(s).

First thing I did when I got mine was crimp an RJ45 connector (new one, not cut from a cable) and plug it in the jack. Needs to be crimped because the contacts usually extend a bit from the plastic and could push the pins too far and bend them.

Good idea on the empty RJ45 connector. You can get those usually at any electronics oriented store...

I don't move my Axe, but would have to un/re-plug the usb cable in older versions of AE and stuff when the unit would freeze. I taped the port when I first read this or similar thread some time ago.

Have a USB cable always "embarked" in the rack and USB port..no need to search for a USB cable every time and no risk for misfits.

A Vafam rack panel brings both connections to the front for me so this doesn't happen. Also, it changes the USB connector shape, so it's even more unlikely, if not impossible.

Just spoke to G66 and they said that provided you're not using the port, you don't need to get the Axe II repaired.

I do not use an MFC, and after seeing previous reports about this, I put a piece of black duct tape over the MFC jack. In a dimly lit stage, when I'm making connections, I can't even tell the jack is there, much less head towards it with a cable. Good insurance against accidents such as yours.

Reactions: Ole
Back
Top Bottom