EPIC FAIL: I accidentally put the USB cable on the MFC plug, Axe II burning smell

Meaning just replace that one part or the whole motherboard for this port to work again?
Patiently and anxiously waiting to hear back from support. I sent them an email a couple days ago.

EDIT: Just heard back from Fractal and I am sending it back in tomorrow for them to look at.
I hope I didn't jack it up too much... I want to use the MFC101, and then sell a bunch of gear forever!

Last edited:
Hopefully just that part, but could have screwed the board itself depending on whether the port has its own pcb or not i guess. Hope it doesnt cost much.

I shipped the unit back yesterday and they said it would get to Fractal on the 3rd.
If it costs too much I will just not repair it I guess and just use 3rd party foot controllers via MIDI.

Here is hoping the damage was not too bad!

OK so I would be Number 4 to do this...
I cracked it open and there are (2) L73 and L74 (Diodes or Capacitors, I'm guessing ???) all burnt up.
I removed them cause they were hanging by the Foil Runs...
Everything seems to be working OK and I use a Behringer FCB1010 for Control cause the MFC just doesn't suit my preference...
So I just hope it doesn't effect anything else...
Burnt Circuit Board can sometimes exhibit Conductive Properties so I am thinking of Scraping it away...
Figured I pretty much already voided my Warranty............
Yep Tape is going over my MFC port.

I would like to also join this list of broken hearts! How lucky am i?
count me in guys- i'm no 5 !
In my studio yesterday -did a quick redit before a gig- running round like a crazy man...put my macs USB jack in the back without looking (of course i know where it goes !!!)
hey...whats that burning smell ???
Upside- i use a liquidfoot
Had i had read this thread beforehand i would have had the port taped up.
THIS THREAD SHOULD NOW BE MADE A STICKY TO WARN OTHERS
JJ

And I would be number six. Hooked the Axe back up after a gig and immediately turned it off as soon as I noticed the burning smell. Didn't realize what had happened until I looked around back again and noticed I had it plugged in the wrong port. Don't use an MFC so I guess I won't be getting it repaired right away. Real bummer though.

I have no idea how to fit a USB cable into an ethernet jack...pictures?

note-to-self.jpg

look upon it this way
frying your ethernet connection is an upgrade....
my fractal now actually smells like a fully cranked 200 watt marshall major in meltdown mode
-it doesnt get more real than that!

You'd think there wold be some kind of "Murphy proof" jack that would make it impossible to do this. I'll bet someone has figured this out.

I think you can still do the same with that?
But hopefully it will remind you better for what it really is.

Has anyone tried to make a patchbay for the connections of the Axe Fx? I have this on my pedalboard for standard guitar cables and it's super handy and safe for your connections.

Back
Top Bottom