Epic 80's Song that needs recognition

Gonna disagree here. Summertime Girls is an iconic song. I still resist the impulse to raise my hands in the air when I hear the intro. Most guitarists (if kind) call this song 'accessible'.

Yes, the other songs are better as guitar renditions, but the solo tone on STG is still pretty incredible.

Yeah, that and the way the drums are used make it a complete summertime anthem.
Fair enough. It's a good tune for sure. I preferred the slightly heavier side of the band before this album.

I think part of my "issue" is that this was the "bandwagon" song for them.

I was a fan way before this and I'm from the Bay Area so take that for what it is... ;)

I'm sure we've all experienced that when a favorite "underground" band suddenly becomes popular? I don't know what the psychology behind that is.

Small world story:

The singer in my 90s hair metal band dragged me to watch a cover gig in Walnut Creek CA near where we lived because a friend of his was playing guitar and singing.

He explained that all 4 guys had played in different projects but never all 4 together. It's a pick-up band... My hopes are not high.

We get there early and they start loading in.

The drummer looks familiar which is when my singer decided to tell me that, oh yeah, Leonard Haze is the drummer!

They setup and do a brief sound check.

Then they sit down at a table and come up with the set list for their first set!

They proceeded to tear up the small club (I mean, maybe 100 people could fit, max).

They took a break and did the same for 2 more sets.

One of the best cover gigs I've ever seen.

And Leonard was a beast! His sticks were like small tree trunks! RIP.

Over the years I've grown to really admire his drumming - it always fits the song!

I always thought the guitar parts in this were catchy even thought the vocals on the the verses tend to run pretty flat.

Fair enough. It's a good tune for sure. I preferred the slightly heavier side of the band before this album.

I think part of my "issue" is that this was the "bandwagon" song for them.

I was a fan way before this and I'm from the Bay Area so take that for what it is... ;)

I'm sure we've all experienced that when a favorite "underground" band suddenly becomes popular? I don't know what the psychology behind that is.
Same here. We both know "Summertime Girls" was a concession to the MTV dominance of the time.

Those earlier albums (Black Tiger being a fave of mine) have some of the best riffs, vocals,
songs, playing of the 80s. Period. :)

It's more for everyone else because of Canada taking over the thread. :p

Haha!! "The meek shall inherit the Earth." ;)

Pre-2020 it was easy to cross the border and go back and forth. One thing
that always blew me away (post 2000 or so) was ALL the great music you
could tune into on Canadian radio that I just would never hear in the States.

I feel like this thread is reminding us it was not always that way.

Back
Top Bottom