Epic 70’s songs and bands

I saw this tour. This is a condensed version of a 40-minute song that's symphonic in scope and thematic development. If you care about such things, it's well worth hearing the whole song sometime.

You are so blessed to have to have seen Thick as a Brick live!. It is truly a musical masterpiece.

I only saw Tull once at the Municipal Theater in KC, Mo in 1980 for the "A" tour. As always with Tull the music/performance was stellar. "Thick as a Brick", "Songs from the Wood" and "A" are probably the most progressive albums they made in my opinion. I believe the compositions on "Thick as a Brick" are some of the best symphonic prog ever written to this day.

The best part of seeing "A" was Eddie Jobson on keys/violin. I was already crazy for UK with Holdsworth, Jobson, Bruford and Wetton but never got to see them live. So seeing Eddie with JT was the next best thing. I found the videos below which is exactly as I remember it. They all had the same jumpsuits on from the album cover. Ian Anderson, as always, is a consummate showman - so much energy and expression.

Apologies since technically it is 1980, but it is still 70s by it's DNA.

I managed to finagle my way into a roadie gig when they played a local auditorium in 2001. Got to see the whole show from the sound booth. :cool:
That had to really be cool I know you had to really be digging that gig. That sounds like the Brownsville station concert I got to work in the mid 70’s pretty cool stuff. :)

I was lucky enough to be called to work the Rolling Stones "Steel Wheels" tour in 1989 (for the local show only)! A friend called me up, said I would get $200 bucks, I said F Yeah! Drove to the venue, got back stage, was told to NOT look the band in the eye if I encountered them. Nothing to do prior to show except stand around back stage waiting for instructions. During show, they sent me out front and I watched the show from the side of the stage (but right at the front). After show, was asked to help fold up a giant tarp. They then said, OK, you can go now! Gave me $200 in cash and that was that. I did get to see the band walk by about 10 ft away, but they were not looking in our direction so I did not have to avert my eyes!!

I was lucky enough to be called to work the Rolling Stones "Steel Wheels" tour in 1989 (for the local show only)! A friend called me up, said I would get $200 bucks, I said F Yeah! Drove to the venue, got back stage, was told to NOT look the band in the eye if I encountered them. Nothing to do prior to show except stand around back stage waiting for instructions. During show, they sent me out front and I watched the show from the side of the stage (but right at the front). After show, was asked to help fold up a giant tarp. They then said, OK, you can go now! Gave me $200 in cash and that was that. I did get to see the band walk by about 10 ft away, but they were not looking in our direction so I did not have to avert my eyes!!
If you look Keith Richards in the eye he steals your life force to extend his. That's why he's still here and also why they told you not to look. They don't want to be responsible for you shriveling up and turning to dust in the wings.
:cool:

Oh now that’s cool as heck! @MoondogWily that’s a great memory.
If you look Keith Richards in the eye he steals your life force to extend his. That's why he's still here and also why they told you not to look. They don't want to be responsible for you shriveling up and turning to dust in the wings.
:cool:
Like Medusa just turn you into stone. Lol that’s pretty funny @Rex Rox

Oh now that’s cool as heck! @MoondogWily that’s a great memory.
I've met a fair share of rock stars! Lou Reed, Mick Ronson, Ian Hunter, Prince, Spencer Davis, Jorma and Jack from Hot Tuna, Adrian Belew, Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger, etc. Great memories indeed but the multiple Prince encounters I have had are the most memorable for me!

I've met a fair share of rock stars! Lou Reed, Mick Ronson, Ian Hunter, Prince, Spencer Davis, Jorma and Jack from Hot Tuna, Adrian Belew, Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger, etc. Great memories indeed but the multiple Prince encounters I have had are the most memorable for me!
Oh that’s sounds awesome moondog wily. That does sound like good memories I’m thinkin… very cool

Well this is weird I have tried to look at these songs but now I can’t get in. I see this appears to also be on all other attachments.

I can’t get it to work don’t know if this is a problem or something new that has been implemented?

Any Help?

James Gang Bang! Love this one they were great with Joe Walsh before Tommy, but this one has Tommy Freakin' Bolin! 'nuff said.

(link is YT playlist with all tracks)

Tommy's solo albums Private Eyes and Teaser are certainly epic too.

(links are YT playlists with all tracks)

And finally this post should also feature Bolin's contribution on Billy Cobham's Spectrum with Jan Hammer on keys and Leland Sklar and Ron Carter on bass. Talk about a Jazz/Fusion supergroup!

Fun fact: The music was recorded live in the studio mostly in single takes, which resulted in permanently capturing Tommy Bolin breaking his high E string while soloing on "Taurian Matador" (at ~1:46 into the track) and he continued playing.

Last edited:
I saw this tour. This is a condensed version of a 40-minute song that's symphonic in scope and thematic development. If you care about such things, it's well worth hearing the whole song sometime.

I saw this tour and saw the Minstrel and Warchild tours as well. At that time, there was probably no better live band. I also saw Tull's 50th anniversary show a few years back and it was one of the most depressing shows I've ever seen. For all of Ian's brilliance, there is no voice left and no power in the band anymore. If you are looking to relive it these days, Martin Barre's band is worth checking out!

James Gang Bang! Love this one they were great with Joe Walsh before Tommy, but this one has Tommy Freakin' Bolin! 'nuff said.

Tommy's solo albums Private Eyes and Teaser are certainly epic too.

(links are YT playlists with all tracks)

And finally this post should also feature Bolin's contribution on Billy Cobham's Spectrum with Jan Hammer on keys and Leland Sklar and Ron Carter on bass. Talk about a Jazz/Fusion supergroup!

Fun fact: The music was recorded live in the studio mostly in single takes, which resulted in permanently capturing Tommy Bolin breaking his high E string while soloing on "Taurian Matador" (at ~1:46 into the track) and he continued playing.

Good stuff used to have all of this on Reel to Reel Tapes love it, now it’s all been digitized. I keep a disk of these tunes on the boat man I have loved this stuff since it came out. Great post.

Cobo - although I gotta admit "Cabo" sounds cooler, like maybe Sammy would be there with some margaritas.

Saw my first concert at Cobo Arena - Anthrax, Helloween, and Exodus!
That’s a good catch I just saw that I spelled Cobo wrong. I’ll have to blame it on my fingers doing other than what I’m thinking. Lol
Covid brain fog still kicking since Feb

Back
Top Bottom