Enzo Sutera - AxeFxII & Matrix GM50 - Maxon SD9 cloned!

Enzo Sutera

Inspired
A little jam with my 62 Tele thru the Axe powered with the Matrix GM50. Cab is 1x12" open back with an Eminence Tonespotter, miked with an SM57.

Double Verb (Twin) model set to light breakup and Maxon SD9 cloned using the Tube Drive model.

Settings for the Drive Block:
- Type: Tube Drive
- Drive: 4.50
- Level: 2.80
- Clip: 4558/Diode
- Slew: 4.77
- Bias: 0.300
- Bass: 3.0
- Treble: -3.0

here with the Strat

Last edited:
Great "in the room" sounding clip!

I wouldn't know if the Maxon is close, but I'm very thankful for your sharing of it 8) I will make it a "go to" for experimenting.

Would you still prefer a model in the Axe for it, or do you feel it's 97% there? :)

I forgot which unique characteristics it has, which are probably not there in the Tube Drive...
So I would guess a 91% match? ;)

Thx again!

Well.. I compared the model to the original one and the difference is very subtle. Only problem is that the Tube Drive parameters dont follow the SD9 knobs, for example if you increase/decrease the Drive parameter the sound will change in a different way than you would expect from an SD9.. so at the end you are stuck at one sample setting. I cloned the setting I use most of the time. Anyway the mids character of the SD9 is definitely there!
Would I take the model over the original? I sincerely dont mind.. when I go to play with my amps I take my pedalboard with the original on it. When I go with the Axe is nice to have it there ; )

Sounds great, i have a couple of tonespotters on the way should be here next couple of days....and my gm50 is also awaiting their arrival :)
dumb question with the twin model did you change many of the settings from stock, or do you have those you could share as well...?
looking forward to giving this setup a run!!!
awesome stuff !

Sounds great, i have a couple of tonespotters on the way should be here next couple of days....and my gm50 is also awaiting their arrival :)
dumb question with the twin model did you change many of the settings from stock, or do you have those you could share as well...?
looking forward to giving this setup a run!!!
awesome stuff !

in the Twin I used the 6.01 stock settings.. nothing fancy. Drive 4.00 - Bass 4.00 - Mid 10 - Treble 5.00 (Bright on, 100pF cap value) - Master 8.50
I´ve only raised the low speaker resonance frequency to 92Hz to suit my cab and added a little bit of depth (2.00). When I´m playing live with a 2x12 I return the Depth at 0 though.

The fast Chorus you ear at the beginning and at the very end is the CE-2 Type one: Voices 8 - Rate 3.3 - Depth 80% - Mix 30% - LFO changed to Sine.
It sounds close to the (famous?) TRI emulation I wrote years ago using the Quad Chorus Block, the latter sounds actually better but the Chorus Block saves me some CPU :)

The fast Chorus you ear at the beginning and at the very end is the CE-2 Type one: Voices 8 - Rate 3.3 - Depth 80% - Mix 30% - LFO changed to Sine.
It sounds close to the (famous?) TRI emulation I wrote years ago using the Quad Chorus Block, the latter sounds actually better but the Chorus Block saves me some CPU :)

Nice :) I gotta try that!

The CE-2 already has the LFO type set to Sine by default.

Love the Chorus sound. Reminds of Jeff Beck solo in Billy Cobham's Stratus.

yes you are right.. my mistake

I always loved this kind of fast chorus.. a slow one sounds too poppy to me

Do you mean the original recording? If so, that's Tommy Bolin, not Jeff Beck. But if you mean a cover Jeff Beck has done, my apologies.

yes you are right.. my mistake

I always loved this kind of fast chorus.. a slow one sounds too poppy to me

Enzo,

Love the way you play and love your tone too man!

BTW, your deep & fast chorus solo-tone reminds me of fusioners John Scofield & Mike Stern (pretty good company I'd say - LOL!)

Thanks for sharing your tone-shaping & effects knowledge with us too!

Bill

Back
Top Bottom