Enhancer block sound, without the enhancer block?

JWDubois

Inspired
I've never paid any attention to the enhancer block, but I messed around with it some today. I liked what it does to the tone in the "classic" setting, it seems to decongest the lows and made the tone pop nicely.

But I'd like to keep the guitar in mono. I tried using enhancer with the "modern" setting in front of the cab block to collapse it to mono, but it just didn't sound the same.

I've been playing with the various filter types ever since I got the III, but I've yet to find a filter that sounds like the enhancer does. I thought the allpass or comb filters might get in the ballpark, but I had no luck finding a good setting. Any ideas?

That artifact is usually considered undesirable :). The modern mode uses a very different technique to achieve a stereo spread, so that won't sound like the classic mode when collapsed to mono. Try a short delay or a phaser if a comb filter isn't doing it for you.

Classic mode is a basic Haas delay. It simply delays the left channel anywhere from 0 up to 20 ms. Collapsing to mono destroys the effect and causes phase cancellation, which like GlennO said is typically undesirable.

If you want a mono version of it (phase issues and all), use the mono digital delay at 50% mix, zero feedback, and set the time somewhere between 1 and 20 ms. To figure out a specific depth setting from the enhancer block, divide the depth setting by 5 to get the delay time in milliseconds. So for example, if the Classic mode depth is set to 35%, divide that by 5 to get 7 ms for the actual delay time on the left channel.

Classic mode is a basic Haas delay. It simply delays the left channel anywhere from 0 up to 20 ms. Collapsing to mono destroys the effect and causes phase cancellation, which like GlennO said is typically undesirable.

If you want a mono version of it (phase issues and all), use the mono digital delay at 50% mix, zero feedback, and set the time somewhere between 1 and 20 ms. To figure out a specific depth setting from the enhancer block, divide the depth setting by 5 to get the delay time in milliseconds. So for example, if the Classic mode depth is set to 35%, divide that by 5 to get 7 ms for the actual delay time on the left channel.

I think I was unclear. I'm not looking to build a mono enhancer block.

I just want to try and find a filter block setting that clears up the low end and enhances the high end the same way that the classic enhancer does. For some reason the comb filtering I'm hearing from the classic enhancer is hitting me just right. It doesn't sound phasey to me, it just sounds good.

Over the last year I've tried lots of combinations of low cuts, low shelfs, low peaking, and notch filters that didn't clear up the low end like that enhancer seems to. I was hoping to get close with the comb filter type, but nothing I tried (by random twiddling) got me anywhere close.

I think I was unclear. I'm not looking to build a mono enhancer block.

I just want to try and find a filter block setting that clears up the low end and enhances the high end the same way that the classic enhancer does. For some reason the comb filtering I'm hearing from the classic enhancer is hitting me just right. It doesn't sound phasey to me, it just sounds good.

Over the last year I've tried lots of combinations of low cuts, low shelfs, low peaking, and notch filters that didn't clear up the low end like that enhancer seems to. I was hoping to get close with the comb filter type, but nothing I tried (by random twiddling) got me anywhere close.
Try the Comb Filter type in the Filter block.

I did, but I couldn't get it to sound like the enhancer with my random twiddling. Any tips on what settings to use?
Mr. Fender posted instructions above on how to exactly duplicate it with a delay, but I don't understand what you're asking for. If you want mono output from the classic mode enhancer, just set the pan controls to the center.

When I want a sound like that, I use the Van Halen "Balance" tone trick. Phaser block after the amp and cab set to Detune mode. voice 1 set to -6 ct full panned left, voice 2 set to +6 ct full panned right. Mix to taste.

This makes your guitar sound huge, even when collapsed to mono. It's basically something like a chorus effect that doesn't oscillate.

Mr. Fender posted instructions above on how to exactly duplicate it with a delay, but I don't understand what you're asking for. If you want mono output from the classic mode enhancer, just set the pan controls to the center.

Here's a patch with 6 scenes that allows direct comparison between:

1) Dry (amp and cab untweaked, I chose a bassy mid-high gain combination for this test)
2) Classic enhancer 50%, panned 100% L/R
3) Classic enhancer 50%, panned center
4) Mono delay 10ms, panned center
5) Comb filter 10ms 30% mix
6) Tilt eq

I did my best to level the scenes referenced to the dry scene. I don't want to set any expectations. Tell me what you think. Of course, you need to be monitoring in stereo.

Attachments

• Enhancer test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Sorry, I still don't understand what you're asking. Are you asking does scene 3 sound mono? I would say yes.

P.S. Did you mean to turn up the feedback in scene 4?

Back
Top Bottom