Engl Powerball structure vs Engl Screamer

Erik Hammero

Inspired
Does anybody know if the gain structure of Powerball is similar to the Engl Screamer structure or if they are totally different? Will the Powerball in the Axe get me to Screamer land with another IR?
I have played the Screamer in real life but not the Powerball so I don't know how different or similar they are.

I haven't played the screamer but have played the powerball, fireball, savage, and invader (I owned the first 3). Of all the ENGL amps, the powerball is the most compressed. I feel like the screamer was a more open sounding amp? What kind of tubes does the screamer have?

Played the "Iron ball" the other night through a Fryette Deliverance 2X12.
Damn!!! I'd love to be able to recreate what I was getting through that with the Axe.
I've never played a power ball so I don't know how different these models are from each other.
the Special edition high gain channels would be nice to have in the Axe too :)

dkenin said:
Of all the ENGL amps, the powerball is the most compressed.
I own a Powerball (the first version, not the II). I'm still using it, and yes, especially the Channel 2 compresses massively.

Yeah, the Screamer appear to be very open so I want to recreate that in the Axe.
So my guess then would be that the Engl sim in the Axe won't get me to Screamer land?

Yeah I, but with Axe you can do anything, but might want to pick a closer canvas to the Screamer

But its actually not a big deal. There is plenty of other amps to use. I just wondered if someone knew if they are similar or not.

All different animals. The powerball sim isn't even a good one to start for that sound. Maybe that new Comet 60 could be the right one to start from?

I used to own both amps, for me the powerball was a sterile amp, it felt stiff and unresponsive. The screamer was an awesome amp, plenty of dynamics and tone. It suited my taste much more (heavy rock, blues). I wouldn't go with the powerball if you are after a screamer tone. Having said that I'm not sure what you would use as the screamer certainly has its own thing going on. Maybe the BE or HBE, maybe a bogner or similar.

Back
Top Bottom