End of searching, finally!

ShadowK

I had the Axe-FX2 for just over a month now, at some point I must of had nearly every piece of guitar equipment you can lay your hands on from Laney to Mesa and I always will have a place in my heart for the tube's. Although for me as a musician and studio owner who only works in metal this has been life changing, I stopped driving myself insane searching for the "Sound" which is hard to explain, but I will try. You can have a dirty chunky sounding distortion that sounds really "Hi-Fi" and realistic, which before was near impossible. Some of the synth style cleans are amazing to the point of breathtaking, it gives me a creative pallet so I can mix it up and add dynamics to a song.

You have to try it to believe it and have a rough idea of what you are doing (Like every other piece of gear), I'm a typical I don't need a manual sort of chap so I downloaded some preset's I liked, took them to pieces and analysed how to get the best sound for me. I can see how easy it is to get lost and maybe even get frustrated, although once you have a formula cracked it's easy to make variations to suit your needs. So to summize:

Pro's:

• Great sounding
  • Very flexible
  • Easy to fit in a mix
  • Time saver

Con's:

• Partner might get jealous your not spending much time with them

I totally agree with you ShadowK, life changer when it comes to sound and studio. Life changer in general, for the better.

Pros:
Easy to fit in a mix

Agreed!

I think this is a benefit that, though not ignored, is overlooked when compared to others that the AxeFx offers.

When playing other rigs (digital, tube, or ss) with a big band, usually you're either too loud for everyone, or too quiet to be able to hear yourself- and it's aggravating for all.

With Axe Fx, everyone is happy, especially the sound guy (after you've convinced him that it's not like a POD).

Axe Fx has a way of cutting thru the mix without overwhelming it.

One other thing I noticed, how damn good the converters are.. I'm seriously thinking about making it my studio centre piece and hooking my lunchbox with API's into it :)

They are "flagship" converters run full-differential. Costs a LOT to do this. Most other modelers use consumer-grade converters with single-ended I/O.

I'm using a Metric Halo as point of reference which as you know aren't cheap, I'm so glad your willing to put the right effort in and not cut corners. It's an amazing product (From a self appointed gear snob / whore) and I recommended it to everyone I know, so all I can say is thanks again.

All things considered, I think it's a massive bargain.

Last edited:
ShadowK, wait until you get to Axe-FX-tival. There will be some right Axe-Hedz there who'll be more than willing to give you handy hints and tips on how to get the best out of The Valve (Industry) Killer!

Can you elaborate on this? Sounds interesting.

Yeah, well as far as I see it I have two inputs and two out's.. Then there is a digital I/O, so at the moment I have a Metric halo ULN-2 (I got rid of a MAC so I just use it over S/Pdif now) for an extra pre and I also have a lunchbox with one API 512c, a 527 and an API EQ linked up like a channel strip direct into the second input. So I have a setup for vocals and even if I fancy dual mic'ing another amp and blending I can do so.

Drums I use a TD12 so it's all recorded Midi and then reused into something like SSD 4.0 or Superior.

So you can get away with three preamps which would cover the basis for me. I think it should work in theory..

My search is over too. I used an ADA preamp back in the 80's and 90's and loved what it did and after it died I spent years looking for a sound again. I thought I had it with the Line 6 Pod, but realized I was wrong when I heard the Axe Effects II.

Rock on.

Back
Top Bottom