Encoder issues

kabong

Inspired
Is anyone else experiencing erratic behavior with the encoder knob? The one on my Ultra tends to jump around when you are editing parameters or selecting patches. As you turn it, maintaining the same turn speed,it may jump multiple numbers at a time. Considering I have had it less than a year, it shouldn't be acting that way unless it's the nature of the beast or it's faulty. :roll:

This has been brought up before but man am I struggling with the same exact issue right now. I hate my encoder. Sometimes I have to scroll back and forth 5-6 times before I can select the correct preset. It is driving me crazy!

Ringleader said:
This has been brought up before but man am I struggling with the same exact issue right now. I hate my encoder. Sometimes I have to scroll back and forth 5-6 times before I can select the correct preset. It is driving me crazy!

That pretty much describes it in a nutshell. I have had problems like that in the past with my old Rocktron ProGaps, and I ended up replacing the encoders. Thing is, this is way too new for that.

Hey Guys! Just received a reply from support "The encoder algorithm features "acceleration". As you continue to turn the encoder it will start to go faster and skip values." That doesn't address my problem though. What I am referring to is when you're dialing in a specific parameter and turning the encoder at a slow constant rate, it still tends to jump values. Is anyone else having those kind of problems?

I was aware that the encoder skipped large values when spinning fast as well, my issue is trying to go from patch 5 to 6 for example. No matter how slow I go the thing will go from 5 to 7 or 5 to 11 or whatever. I swear there are amps in the axe that I haven't even experimented with yet because I simply can't land on them. :lol:

Hey kabong,

Had the same issue with mine. I also noticed that it would skip backwards even when moving it slowly one click at a time forwards. I contacted G66 here in Europe, and they replaced the encoder! Issue resolved.

Cheers,
Darren

Spartacus said:
Hey kabong,

Had the same issue with mine. I also noticed that it would skip backwards even when moving it slowly one click at a time forwards. I contacted G66 here in Europe, and they replaced the encoder! Issue resolved.

Cheers,
Darren

That's what I'm wondering..... is the encoder defective or is it just tempermental :?: :?: :?: :?:

I deal with mechanical rotary encoders at work and have seen them last for years as well as lasting only a couple of days before failure. Optical encoders are superior but the cost is no doubt a factor.

This here is the same issue I was having at first.

Ringleader said:

Then it got worse. After the replacement part it works like a dream. It used to wreck my head when naming a new preset.

But check your unit by moving it slowly one click at a time - moving from preset to preset. If its jumping around it will prob need a new encoder.

I started to see this sporadic "jumping" knob ever since 9.xx. It's only happend three times to me... It was jumping from preset to preset during practice (even though I'm using the fcb1010 for patch changing)... Very sporadic.

You can try using Caig Detoxit on it. That has helped others that have had this problem.
Radio Shack is now selling it.

Mine has started to act erratically just since upgrading to 9.02, but the issue is a bit different from the one the OP is experiencing. Mine will stick on a patch or parameter, with the value not changing, for up to 5-6 clicks of the encoder. If I keep turning it, eventually the value begins to change. I'm inclined to think it's a software/firmware issue rather than hardware, since it worked fine prior to 9.02.

javajunkie said:
You can try using Caig Detoxit on it. That has helped others that have had this problem.
Radio Shack is now selling it.

I've still got a couple cans around here. I was just curious how many others were experiencing this same problem. I will open it up and try that first. If not, I'll just have to replace the encoder. it's not a big problem yet, but it does need to be addressed.

Ringleader said:

I am having this same problem as well. :(

It is driving me crazy as well. :lol:

Ringleader said:
I would try the deoxit but I can't get the knob off. Should I just be able to pull it off or not?

The plastic cap on the top face of the encoder pops off (The flat surface on the front)

javajunkie said:
The plastic cap on the top face of the encoder pops off (The flat surface on the front)
I was a pullin but she wasn't a comin! wait :oops:

Just wanted to make sure before I really manhandled it. :p

Ringleader said:
javajunkie said:
I was a pullin but she wasn't a comin! wait :oops:

Just wanted to make sure before I really manhandled it. :p

Not the whole thing! just the top. You need a thin screwdriver to click it off. It is like cap on the encoder.

Back
Top Bottom