Wish Enable USB-A port for powering / charging USB devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad Beattie

Experienced
A stab in the dark as I don't know what the port can handle power wise. So assuming it could be used in this manner. Enable it for the purpose of power/charging other devices.

Some things I might use it for:
1. iPad / iPhone charging
2. Charging my Carvin wireless transmitter/receiver
3. Powering my headphone DAC

This would just be more of a convenience item of course. I'm going to get away with having one power cable to the FM3 board. If I could plug a few small USB devices in and leach power from the USB port that would be handy.

I think that the most important function of this usb should be backup and restore the unit, this is the only thing I miss from the kemper.
You know.. everything can happen in tour, it's good to have a backup in usb format instead of computer.
I agree. This was just a short term wish to at least enable the power usage from it until they determine long term plan.

I think that the most important function of this usb should be backup and restore the unit, this is the only thing I miss from the kemper.
You know.. everything can happen in tour, it's good to have a backup in usb format instead of computer.

I think Fractal said their priority was making it a port to plug a Bluetooth/WiFi adapter into. That way, we'd both win: You could load backups via your phone AND it could power headphone amps, MIDI controllers and other relatively low-power accessories.

I'd love power for a light, or to charge my phone while it is showing me the timer for sets. Right now, that USB is just sitting there.

Ive asked tis before and I was told its a very easy possibility to turn the power on. I use my Kemper USB slot to power my MC8 midi controller and it keeps it a bit cleaner on stage . small potatoes I know.

It would also be nice to use the USB port for backups and for uploading system settings and presets. This way, you could quickly install your own setup on a third-party device and use it at festivals.

Any news on this topic? Would be nice to hear something from Fractal if this will come in the near future.
Because if not, i have to figure out how to power my one additional looper pedal ... or maybe to build this custom FASlink power adapter ..

That would be a very expensive USB charger! :D

I guess that it requires a circuit rewiring, so I would not hold the breath waiting for that.

Nope - no rewirring necessary - they already stated that this USB port can be enabled via a software update 👍
They planned to use this port with a custom wireless adapter - so, definitely possible. But no more news about that, also ..

Last edited:
Wifi/BT adapter support would be killer. Wireless firmware updates, wireless Axe-Edit, wireless Fracpad without needing MIDI adapters, wireless streaming of backing tracks to FM3. So many benefits and it would also help Fractal units compete with newer stuff like the NeuralDSP Quad Cortex which has built in Wifi and BT.

Ideally it would just support some standard wireless Wifi/BT USB adapter rather than a proprietary one. Just have a list of ones that work well. This would mean that a device being discontinued would not be a problem when you could just order another brand. I don't know if this has latency etc implications though.

I often share presets with my band buddy and not having the need to have a computer would be great (like the Quad Cortex share function)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom