Emergency Replacement for a dead AxeFX

Rich G.

Experienced
This was mentioned as a side topic in another thread, but I believe it deserves it's own...

It's almost time to go on stage and your AxeFX dies! now what? You have under 10 minutes to set something up. You have to go to your bag of emergency items and pull something out that will carry you through the gig. What is your emergency replacement item??

Someone mentioned HERE that they use a Randall RG13. That seems like a viable solution. What else?...

ADA APP-1, Line 6 M13, ADA GCS-2.

Considering an iSP Stealth for power. The Theta pedal is pretty brutal too.

Last edited:
This was mentioned as a side topic in another thread, but I believe it deserves it's own...

It's almost time to go on stage and your AxeFX dies! now what? You have under 10 minutes to set something up. You have to go to your bag of emergency items and pull something out that will carry you through the gig. What is your emergency replacement item??

Someone mentioned HERE that they use a Randall RG13. That seems like a viable solution. What else?...

It would depend on what your needs and or exceptions are. Direct to PA and monitor relient or back line support?

I think a Line 6 HD would be a good candidate for the direct needs. For the back line I would look at ether the Black Star ID series ID60 112 or the Vox Valvetronix Pro VT80 112 combos. Both of those are not to expensive sound deasent and could get you through a gig if something were to go wrong.

Another vote for Zoom ms-50G. Fits into my already overfull gig bags, can go direct to mixing board. Has fender clean, marshall dirt and cab sims. Built 3 patches, can loop through them with one button. Hope I never have to use it.

I use a Roland GR-55 with the Axe, so my backup is already on the floor ready to go. I would have to grab a stereo DI from my bag to connect it to the XLRs already connected to the Axe, though.

I'm also considering carrying a spare power supply for Axe in my bag. I could swap that out in 10 minutes.

Tech 21 British Character Pedal.

Another +1. I use this at the end of a small pedal board. My bass player is currently using my pedalboard, so in the even of death, he goes without a compressor and I get my backup rig! :)

On the board it's: empress multidrive -> empress compressor -> empress phaser -> empress superdelay -> Tech21 British Character -> boss RV-5. It's all in a loop on an empress buffer+ with a TU-12H for tuning running off the buffer+. The output from the buffer+ goes to a Radial JDI DI box.

I use a Pearce preamp. If you can't afford another Axe Fx like I can't I would try to get another preamp that produces the type of sound you use the most. Even a Boss Gt-10 or something like that would do the trick. Or of course a good old amplifier!

Nothing. I suppose ask one of the other bands for an amp.

Was thinking about a backup rig on a pedal board, using one of those little EHX poweramps. But just for a bare minimum backup, I'd need a decent preamp pedal, volume pedal, tuner, and the EHX. I already have a PP2+, a delay, various boosts... but the bits I need to buy still add up to more than what I feel like spending at the moment. Plus, while I like the CL80s with the Axe, they're a bit hit 'n' miss with other amps IMO.

I use a Roland VG-88, just because I rely on the hex pickup. COSM blows compared to the Axe, but in a pinch....

Vox ToneLab SE. I have banks to use direct into the system (FRFR/FOH) or into an amp. Works great as a MIDI controller for the AFX as well; expression pedals control it no problem.

I've seen a few guys using it in years past, Pat Travers and Rik Emmett used it on live gigs for effects/pushing amps....

Back
Top Bottom