EMERGENCY!!! Calling all country pickers!!!

I could really use some help in narrowing down a list of which amps to use. I'd like to build 4 presets, each with two scenes (more or less boost on or off):

Dr.Z MAZ 38 Sr
Mesa Lonestar
Komet (Comet) 60
Two-Rock J35-1 or 2

Try running those into a 2x12 or 4x12 cab of your choice.

Check out the Brad Paisley Rig Rundown to sample some effects also. Brad Paisley is the man btw, I didn't even think country was interesting until I heard him.

Good luck mate, I am as interested as everyone else to hear how it went for you.

Checkout the internet for "Doug Seven", and download some of his free video stuff, should bring you very fast on track. I got all his free stuff and a few years ago even took 2-3 items of the stuff he sells and confirm you that it's the fastest possible introduction to country you can find.

For sound I suggest you take the double verb patch posted by iaresee; excellent and even better if you got some Tele guitar hanging on the wall.

Keep on rocking

I play it for a living, play in Nashville a few nights a week. Most of the modern stuff is cock rock with a cowboy hat. Don't stress, just twang up your rock licks and you'll be ok most of the time. Double stops are you're friend. You probably have a ton of stuff in your repertoire that works fine already.

As for times, I play an entire 4 hour set with 2 amps, the DC30 and the Dirty Shirley. The DC30 will cover SO MUCH ground, from twang to Petty to 90s style alt rock to pop....it's my fav amp in the box.

I play it for a living, play in Nashville a few nights a week. Most of the modern stuff is cock rock with a cowboy hat. Don't stress, just twang up your rock licks and you'll be ok most of the time. Double stops are you're friend. You probably have a ton of stuff in your repertoire that works fine already.

As for times, I play an entire 4 hour set with 2 amps, the DC30 and the Dirty Shirley. The DC30 will cover SO MUCH ground, from twang to Petty to 90s style alt rock to pop....it's my fav amp in the box.

Checked out your stuff man, sounds great!
Thanks for the DC30 tip. I had planned on giving it a closer look, now I definitely will.

A couple current country tunes my band covers that are in the flats and have guitars tuned down for the open chords...(uhg)
There's a "forumite" on here that has some great patches for chicken picken. He'll probably chime in. I think it's http://forum.fractalaudio.com/members/texasheartrush.html
He's posted a few vids on the forum. The guy is really good, and uses a great sounding "clean" patch. If it sounds right, it will inspire.
Just do a search on "country presets"..you'll see his posted video.

Take every pentatonic solo you know, and shift it down three frets. Seriously.

Ex: OLD> G-E-D-B-A-G-E-D-B-A-G-E (aka 'the box')

NEW> E-Db-B-Ab-F#-E ... etc.

I suggest to learn a few licks and get the 'feel' down of what you're doing.

But DON'T take your own style out of the equation...you got the job for a reason. And some of my favorite country is stuff that has quite a bit of RAWK in it, brings energy.

IMO.

You gotta learn how to make one word actually sound like two words, such as sheeeuuuuttt, dayuhm, dumbass... oh wait, that is two words. You gotta know the proper usage of y'all, all y'all and all y'all's. You also gotta know that when you play country songs backwards, you get your dog back, get your truck back, get your girl back, get out of jail, etc. It also helps if you wear tight jeans and stuff a potato in your pants. Just don't forget that the potato goes in the front or you might blow the gig.

Checked out your stuff man, sounds great!
Thanks for the DC30 tip. I had planned on giving it a closer look, now I definitely will.

i'll upload by basic DC30 template i build all my patches with later on. it has a user cab in it (i use the OH Vintage 1x12 Alnico Silver for just about everything clean to crunchy) so you'd just have to drop your cab of choice in there. (my preference from the stock cabs would be the Morgan AC20 cab)

But DON'T take your own style out of the equation...you got the job for a reason. And some of my favorite country is stuff that has quite a bit of RAWK in it, brings energy.

I agree with that...a popular local blues singer/harmonica player asked me to play in her blues band. I said I didn't really have a proper blues 'vocabulary' and was a rock player pretty much (grew up playing Rush, Deep Purple, Kiss, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc.). She said that's exactly why she was asking; she liked my rock-blues style and the 'fire' in my playing. While I did learn a ton of blues licks and increased my vocabulary, I just kind of 'do my thing' and plow thru it lol.

Update: got postponed :(
the extra time to find my comfort zone will help, but actually I'm really digging this so far!

Reading this inspired me to check out the Matchbox D-30 again; I've never really connected with it but man, with 17.04 and some Sorcerer 4x10 IR's from Cab Pack 6 it's crazy good; I'm sure to spend a lot more time with this one as it does seem to be able to cover a lot of ground...killer amp for sure.

Back
Top Bottom