Electro-Voice PXM-12MP report

Logically though, turning treble down on your monitoring means you'll end up sending a brighter signal to FOH or a recording. Is that what you want to do?

Ideally monitoring is neutral, with the same tonal balance as whatever you consider your target system. There's a bit of a hall of mirrors thing going on. What do you trust?
That's only logical if you're having the same issue with FOH and recorded sounds. Neither of those was mentioned and I don't think they're implied from his post. What if the EVs seem a little bright but FOH and recording sound fine? What if recording sounds fine and FOH is a little dark...or vice versa?

What was mentioned are Adams A7Xs which I've heard people say translate pretty well to FOH tones. A few folks in here have mentioned that the EVs can get a little bright and, at least initially, that's been my experience as well.

In terms of trust, I wouldn't blindly trust anything to translate well to FOH. Seems to me you have to tweak for that on the spot or leave it to the sound engineer.

Edit: Also my initial testing was done in direct comparison with a 2002 Mesa 4x12. I've had to take a few days away from the setup and won't be comparing the EVs to anything when I fire it back up. Thus it's entirely possible I won't feel the need to tweak anything next time. We'll see.

So we tried EV´s yesterday and they slays !
Output mode in fractal set to +4db, EV´s set to 0db and out1 knob on fractal set to 2-ish o´clock gave me ca. 120db while strumming and 125db while heavy palm muting in drop C. this was the treshold for EV´s.
With out knob set just a hair higher, the limiter starts to kicks in, so I´ve found that 125db of constant pressure is what they can handle.
It keeps exactly with my ceriatone molecular 50w and 4x12 mesa recto cab.
What is very surprising is that with EV´s. I could get even fatter sound than with 4x12 cab, but tighter at the same time.
I´m flabbergasted !

Here’s short clip from that yesterday jammin’ where we tested the EV’s.
monitors were pointing to the drummer and not the iphone, so it may sound like there’s blanket or not enough treble, but it had plenty of those frequencies.
Also, this was just improvization, we played now together for 2nd time, so don’t judge the synchronization between us :)
My mesa on the left side is just jealous 😅🤷‍♂️

Here’s short clip from that yesterday jammin’ where we tested the EV’s.
monitors were pointing to the drummer and not the iphone, so it may sound like there’s blanket or not enough treble, but it had plenty of those frequencies.
Also, this was just improvization, we played now together for 2nd time, so don’t judge the synchronization between us :)
My mesa on the left side is just jealous 😅🤷‍♂️

Never mind that....love the Satch Marshall! Man...I miss that amp!

Anyone using a single sub with the PXMs? I know they can pair well with a pair of subs but I'm thinking about a single sub since it's for home use.

And no, I don't want it for the FM9. I'm thinking about it for my synth stuff. :)

Anyone using a single sub with the PXMs? I know they can pair well with a pair of subs but I'm thinking about a single sub since it's for home use.

And no, I don't want it for the FM9. I'm thinking about it for my synth stuff. :)
I have a cheap Harbinger 112 sub that works ok with track stuff strictly in door use, for the money it does a fair job of filling out the bottom end of the PXM! If your looking to rattle the fillings out of your teeth I would look elsewhere.

I’m using an EV ELX200-12SP with a pair of PXMs in a pretty large room at home. I play guitar, bass and backing tracks through them. It sounds great.

I’m using an EV ELX200-12SP with a pair of PXMs in a pretty large room at home. I play guitar, bass and backing tracks through them. It sounds great.
That's exactly what I was looking at. How do you have the ELX connected? I was thinking I could run the through jacks on each of the PXMs to inputs 1 and 2 on the sub?

I’m running:
Mixer -> Sub -> PXMs.
Do you have stereo going into and out of the mixer? If so are you sending left and right signals out of the mixer to inputs 1 and 2 on the sub? Then output 1 to the left PXM and output 2 to the right PXM?

I don't use a mixer, so I'm considering sending the signals something like:

FM9 output 2L > PXM1 input 1
FM9 output 2R > PXM2 input 1
Synth output L > PXM1 input 2
Synth output R > PXM2 input 2

PXM1 mix out > sub input 1
PXM2 mix out > sub input 2

I think that should work.

Back
Top Bottom