Electro-Harmonix Magnum 44 & Mooer Baby Bomb (pedal sized power amp)

Hello all!!

I have a Cravin TS100 tube power to power up the Axe Fx XL+, but the TS100 is just too damn heavy.
So I was looking for something lighter, and I happened to find out there is a pedal sized power amp!

Has anyone of you guys ever used either electro-harmonix magnum44 or Mooer Baby Bomb before???
How do they pair up with Axe Fx???
Are they flat power amp? One of my friends told me that matrix gt1000fx and mooer baby bomb doesn't sound much different!~! which is amazing in comparison of the prices and the size!!!
What do u guys think???
Any comment would be appreciated!~
Thank you all ^^

I carry the Magnum 44 in the trunk of my car as an emergency backup.
It ain't that bad but it's surely not in the same league as Matrix etc.
It can get loud but clean headroom is limited. Also, you gotta be careful of a ground loop with this thing.

I don't know the Mooer.

If you want something portable (not rack), consider the Power Stage 170 (Seymour Duncan).
It's gotten a lot of attention recently. Sounds great, small, doesn't generate a lot of heat.

If you want tubes, try Fryette's wonderful Power Station.

I had a Magnum 44 once. It wasn't anywhere near my Matrix I eventually got, but it was okay for a quick back up option when the venue PA was rubbish.

It did however, completely die on me one day when I turned it up past halfway. It's now a very good paperweight.

I carry the Magnum 44 in the trunk of my car as an emergency backup.
It ain't that bad but it's surely not in the same league as Matrix etc.
It can get loud but clean headroom is limited. Also, you gotta be careful of a ground loop with this thing.

I don't know the Mooer.

If you want something portable (not rack), consider the Power Stage 170 (Seymour Duncan).
It's gotten a lot of attention recently. Sounds great, small, doesn't generate a lot of heat.

If you want tubes, try Fryette's wonderful Power Station.
Is Magnum 44 transparent? or does it color any tone at all? Yes I'd looked at the powerstage 170, but I rather not spend $399 on power amp.........at this point.

I had weird issues with my Magnum 44's in a previous rig. I used two in a stereo setup and one of them would become choppy, like a tremelo stutter effect. In which case the only way to stop it was by disconnecting the power supply. Ye olde hard reset as it were. And both of them would act up alternately. I had the dream of using two pedal boards, one with my FX and a preamp pedal, the other with the Magnum 44's. And no more heavy amps to haul around. But with the 44's prone to acting up I switched back to using a classing racked poweramp, a Marshall 8008, which became the precursor to my current Matrix.

A used 8008 can be had fairly cheaply by the way. Although it doesn't like cab sim that much. I had to disable cab sim on all my presets when using the 8008. Which was ironic when I got the Matrix, as all my 8008 modded presets now sounded like pants again as the Matrix LOVES cab sims.

I just bought Mooer Baby Bomb 30 today, It sounds amazing!!! for only $99 it's the best sounding power amp for Aze fx. And it is very portable too. Y'all should check it out!!!

There is some kind of sonic "stiffness" in the Magnum 44, but it's still great backup thingy you can always grab and put in your pocket for gigging / rehearsing. It has two modes - one clearly boosting highs. It is loud, generates some noise, but not something that would scare me off.

I have had 2 Magnums. The first was my amp for my AXE-FX until it died. It had the same choppy Tremelo sound as described above. I bought another used but was given the wrong power supply (it was EHX but not enough current) and on first gig it also stopped. I have replaced the power supply and use it as a back up now.

How does the Mooer compare in volume and flatness to the Magnum? Seems like a cheap small backup option to my Matrix. The SD Poweratage is quite $$ as a backup.

I have had 2 Magnums. The first was my amp for my AXE-FX until it died. It had the same choppy Tremelo sound as described above. I bought another used but was given the wrong power supply (it was EHX but not enough current) and on first gig it also stopped. I have replaced the power supply and use it as a back up now.

How does the Mooer compare in volume and flatness to the Magnum? Seems like a cheap small backup option to my Matrix. The SD Poweratage is quite $$ as a backup.
Have never used a Magnum so I cannot compare mooer with magnum but I am really satisfied with mooer baby bomb!!!

Back
Top Bottom