Effortless pinch harmonics?

Gas Hed

Anybody had success setting up the right effects to get effortless pinch harmonics? This is a bit of a holy grail to me as I can't get where I want with my pedal board. I'm hoping the FX8 can get me there.

Pinch harmonics are possible with an acoustic or unplugged electric guitar. I personally think it's all about technique first. There is really no "pinch harmonic effect" because it's a function of the physicality of the string. Treble and gain help bring it out, but it has to be there in the first place.

Anybody had success setting up the right effects to get effortless pinch harmonics? This is a bit of a holy grail to me as I can't get where I want with my pedal board. I'm hoping the FX8 can get me there.

Hey buddy,

I don't have an FX8 (I'm an AX8 user), but it's all about the gain (and getting the technique right to start with, of course!). The harmonics are always there (as Chris says), but it's dirt that will make them pop out easier. Plus, there will be a sweet spot on your guitar where you'll just pluck them out easier. A great way to experiment is to play an open string and then lightly touch the string at various points between the end of the neck and the bridge to make a harmonic pop out. You'll find they are there, in different intervals, and some will pop out easier than others. This'll give you an idea of where will work best for you, and then just practice hitting that spot and getting your pinch technique right and you'll be sqealing like a pig in no time!!

Good luck!

Last edited:
All of the above are great points.

For me, a lot of it is picking technique. A certain way the string rolls off the pick and hits my thumb.

I'm realizing I didn't make myself clear. I have no problems performing pinch harmonics. It is a big part of my style. It is more a question of what effects make them pop and sustain. For instance, when I play through my amp's dirty channel they sound ok. When I went and played an EVH 5150 III head at G.C., they rang and sustained until I got home.

Guitar speaker interaction makes it sustain, this takes volume or close proximity to the speaker. guitar pick ups make a big difference in the reaction also.

I'm realizing I didn't make myself clear. I have no problems performing pinch harmonics. It is a big part of my style. It is more a question of what effects make them pop and sustain. For instance, when I play through my amp's dirty channel they sound ok. When I went and played an EVH 5150 III head at G.C., they rang and sustained until I got home.
As has already been mentioned and you already know, gain is the biggest contributor for loud, sustained pinch harmonics. You're needing gain saturation and your amp appears to be close but doesn't quite have enough gain. Adding an overdrive or distortion pedal will push it over the top and there are plenty of great drives in the FX8. Using one of the pedal compressors in the FX8 will also increase the sustain.

Back
Top Bottom