Edit: Search Over, Winner- Mono 365 Case

Alrightythen!

The 365 got here and my search is over. All the room I need and then some, and it isn't much bigger than the Producer briefcase style. By way of comparison, the 365 is not as wide as the Producer, by about the thickness of one of the Producer end pockets. It is taller, as you'd expect, by about a third. Again, for comparison, the Producer is wider than the 365 is tall. Size in this case is no issue. Think more square on the 365, more rectangle on the Producer. Either are easy to carry by the sturdy, comfortable handle.

Fit: Here are a couple of photos of things I quickly stuffed inside:

Photo 1: Everything in and closed up. No bulges or oddities.

Photo 2: The end of the AX8 and a large computer (more on that in a sec). Also note the upper front pocket has a cable storage strap that holds lots of cable, and the lower pocket...

Photo 3: ... that has two wireless transmitters and some cables, where another pocket inside has room for more. I put the full size 8.5x11 manual in there to show how wide it is. There's lots of room left where the transmitters are.

Photo 4: That is the AX8 and a MSI GT70 Dominator 17" laptop. There is actually room to put a Mission expression pedal beside the AX8 if I were pressed for space. I used the MSI as an example because it is twice the thickness of a Macbook, so you could see the room. There are actually two pockets on the laptop side, so you could carry a Macbook and an iPad if you wanted, or two MBPs, with plenty of room.

I didn't take pictures of it, but my Shure GTXD wireless power supply and receiver are in one side pocket, and my Mission EP-1 in the other (lots of room left above it for other do-dads).

The case has all the normal Mono appointments, and isn't cumbersome at all to carry in briefcase fashion. Of course, it also works as a backpack for longer hauls or when you don't have a spare hand. And the backpack mode has pads to keep your back cushioned and breathing, just like a good hiking pack would. Loaded up it is completely manageable, and I really like that I have room to put the few more things that inevitably pop up.

I decided to keep the Producer bag too, I am going to use it for my computer gear that travels with my StudioLive boards to keep it all safe and clean. Been a good December around the old music room!

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, Rick. It's always good to see real-life results.

And now for the kicker: are those side pockets big enough to hold an EV-1? I love mine, but its size (3" x 4-1/2" x 11-1/2") can turn an otherwise-good case into a nonstarter.

Thanks for updating us. The 365 looks like a winner. I prefer the look of thre wider format of the Kontroller/Producer but this has side pockets that are perfect for pedals. I may got this route when I get my AX8. That may be a while so I have plenty of time to think about it.

That reminds me, I need to send back my Producer...

Thanks for the review, Rick. It's always good to see real-life results.

And now for the kicker: are those side pockets big enough to hold an EV-1? I love mine, but its size (3" x 4-1/2" x 11-1/2") can turn an otherwise-good case into a nonstarter.
I'm not sure. The biggest pedal I have along that shape is an Ernie Ball volume pedal. This is the standard sized one with the string and spring inside. It's about 4"W x 11"L x 2.75H counting the rubber feet. It does fit, but I don't think you could go much bigger. The EV-1 might fit, but my guess is that it would be too tight for the pockets. If you're not carrying a big computer, one would probably fit on one end of the AX8 in the main compartment. Man, I thought the Ernie Ball volume pedal was big!

The Kontroller bag Joe Rodgers is using had room for a couple of pedals. In this link he has the AX8 and two EV-1 pedals in the case. Carrying case?

Last edited:
I would not recommend Flyby for AX8. I have a Flyby and can barely zip it up with an MFC-101 in the unpadded section. The MFC is almost the same size as AX8 but slightly shorter.

dang, i usually backpack my guitar(s) and have been rolling the ax8/fx8 and cables in a rolling soft luggage. all the cables and ax8 can feel a bit heavy after a 1/4 - 1/2 mile walk from the car to the gigs, but i do carry backup cables with me. hmm....

Any concerns with the lack of a zipper to close the compartment of the 365?

Good catch. I just assumed you could zip the main compartment closed. If you can't, that's a deal killer for me. I need something that won't spill small items when it gets flipped over.

I'm going with my 20 year old Tundra predecessor to this case*; It once served as fantastic protection for medium format film camera gear, will be great to re-purpose it. It can be sat on, submerged: no moisture, no dust, no worries. Carries as a suitcase, fits in the overhead or under an airline seat. Cabling, expression pedal, bandanas, glitter platforms**, etc. can go in a shoulder carry bag. Also, I'm thinking I'll want to cut down a yoga mat to put under the AX8. ;)

* http://www.uwkinetics.com/products/518-ultracase
** kidding

Last edited:
Looking at this video, the 365 looks HUGE. Any idea if the AX8 would fit in the Flyby? Any concerns with the lack of a zipper to close the compartment of the 365?

No, the AX8 couldn't fall out if you turned it upside down and shook it. Same for laptops. The front pocket and side pockets are zippered. The cables in the top front are latched in by a heavy strap. Standing next to the Producer, the 365 does look huge, but it isn't at all difficult to carry in one hand loaded. I like that the size gives room for other things. If I really had to make it the most compact, I'd stuff it into the Producer bag. As you know, a tight fit, but it can be done. I'm sold on the 365 for now, works perfectly for what I want to do with it.

Update, first gig with the 365. Short and sweet: It works. Easy to carry, everything where I needed it, easy to load back up at the end of the night. Winner.

I also picked up a Mono Dual Guitar case, used but in near new shape. It also worked well, super easy to carry two guitars and all the straps, trem bars, string,cords, etc. Nice! I have become a Mono fan, great stuff.

Update, first gig with the 365. Short and sweet: It works. Easy to carry, everything where I needed it, easy to load back up at the end of the night. Winner.

I also picked up a Mono Dual Guitar case, used but in near new shape. It also worked well, super easy to carry two guitars and all the straps, trem bars, string,cords, etc. Nice! I have become a Mono fan, great stuff.

Yea, Mono products are great - I've used a Mono Dual Guitar gig bag for a some years, heavy use and still looks almost new and has protected my guitars perfectly - highly recommended

Yeah, Mono is quite good stuff! I have the Mono M80 'tour' sized bag for my Helix (fits pedaltrain Pt2 sized stuff). Has to be the nicest, lightest case I have ever laid hands on. Puts the bags they ship with Pedaltrain boards to shame. I am actually looking at replacing my PT 'pro' bag for that pedalboard (which is mad heavy, lots of pedals, switcher, Mondo power supply, etc.) with the next size up Mono M80, I think they just called it Pro for simplicity (Mono Pro fits Pedaltrain Pro..)

This is new ground for me too, but if it doesn't do the trick my next option is this from Pelican Cases:
1337879207000_866303.jpg

It will fit the AX8 and maybe a pedal in the foam and everything else in the upper compartments. The foam comes flat and you remove small squares of it to fit to your requirements as they have done in the pics for camera equipment. Carry on legal too. $208 from B&H Photo.
I have one of these and it is pretty much everything it claims to be.

@jonah

Dimensions of the AX8: 16.1” x 4.0” x 10.3” (410mm x 101mm x 262mm)

Listed pocket Dimensions from Thomann site: (inner): separated into two compartments - each 400 x 240 x 50 mm (separated by thick padding)

Looks like it wouldn't fit based on those figures. I think the pocket would not accommodate the height from back of unit to top of controls.

@jonah

Dimensions of the AX8: 16.1” x 4.0” x 10.3” (410mm x 101mm x 262mm)

Listed pocket Dimensions from Thomann site: (inner): separated into two compartments - each 400 x 240 x 50 mm (separated by thick padding)

Looks like it wouldn't fit based on those figures. I think the pocket would not accommodate the height from back of unit to top of controls.
I actually bought a used one from a friend. The middle divider is soft padded, so I could squeeze the AX into it. I, however, removed the middle part and now it fits like a glove! The bag is cheap, well built, has lots of pockets and fits two expression pedals in the front pocket!
IMG_4605.jpg

Back
Top Bottom