Edge with 2 AxeFX's onstage at Apple now

Check out this excerpt from the "thank-yous" in the digital booklet for Songs of Innocence. Fractal Audio figures prominently among the equipment manufacturers.
It would be interesting to hear what went on in the studio with the Axe-FX. Anyone know?

U2 Songs of Innocence Thank Yous.jpg

Hummm... Im sorry but I just don't get all the fascination here... Most rich and talented guitar players most often choose the Axe FX because it sounds so good. Thats a normal reaction that applies to us as well. Thats not anything special... I bet he even puts his pants on by himself too, one leg at a time... ; )

Yes except when they're on he make platinum albums. ;)

Hummm... Im sorry but I just don't get all the fascination here... Most rich and talented guitar players most often choose the Axe FX because it sounds so good. Thats a normal reaction that applies to us as well. Thats not anything special... I bet he even puts his pants on by himself too, one leg at a time... ; )

I cant speak for everyone, but for me its validation that I have not pissed away $2500.

The fender will be for the big distorted sound, he uses it for the main riff on Vertigo as well, The Axes will be for cleans, shimmer and delay into an AC30 model I would imagine, maybe a cheeky drive model in front of the fender too.

Symbolic of how the Axe FX has changed the guitar world.

The Edge has some pretty coveted gear that's been with him for decades - SDD3000's, the #1 VOX (original 64' AC30TB if I'm not mistaken) and so on. Some of it historically used on every album and every live show. So it's obviously important to him. Google "Edge's stage set-up revealed" - so to say his rig is also extensive is an understatement.

Not that's he's giving all up of course, but against that backdrop, seeing Edge with a small Fractal based rig really is something. (imho)

While I love seeing them up there, not sure this is a full blown sea change.

The Axe II is such a great widget that an accomplished tone baron like The Edge can use this on a fly gig. The ease of setup is killer; small footprint, little compromise in tone (I'm not going to say that the Axe has the same tone and feel as his full rig, that would be for him to say,) but it sounded great to me.

Is it known whether this has actually replaced his tour rig (NOT one-off's like this)?

R

While I love seeing them up there, not sure this is a full blown sea change.
Is it known whether this has actually replaced his tour rig (NOT one-off's like this)?

The band as a whole and specifically Edge has talked about clearing the stage (sorry I don't have the links) of equipment for mobility and visibility so I would not be surprised if they use this opportunity to heavily consolidate gear. For a live show, aside from being particular (which they are), there's no reason why the majority of guitar (and effects related stuff) can't be replaced with AxeFXs. They really don't need any physical amps at all on stage or backstage. They are on in-ears. If it that all goes away, the extra time, money, energy, etc. also goes away.

It's true though that replicating sounds of the past is not easy even with the AxeFX - certainly great and different but sometimes not close enough to very familiar sounds. It may turn he still wants that authenticity live and will still bring all of the "real" gear. However, live, I don't feel this is at all necessary. So many of the unique sounds from the albums are done differently live EVEN WITH THE ORIGINAL GEAR that they may as well do it all with the AxeFX!

people still want to see gear on stage - it's why rush added washers, dryers and vending machines haha! the bass side looked to empty compared to the huge guitar and drum rigs.

so they totally could have had the bass and guitar rigs back stage, run long cables or DI's or whatever to get their signal to the amps etc. but it still has a look and feel. guitar feedback needs an amp too, but i think the look is a huge huge part too.

I cant speak for everyone, but for me its validation that I have not pissed away $2500.

So even if YOU personally didn't like the unit, and wanted to return it/sell it, you'd now keep it because a famous guitarist used it ??

By the same token, if you loved it, get great tones for it etc, you'd suddenly feel you wasted your money if a famous guitarist stopped using it or, and/or said he didn't like it ?

So even if YOU personally didn't like the unit, and wanted to return it/sell it, you'd now keep it because a famous guitarist used it ??

By the same token, if you loved it, get great tones for it etc, you'd suddenly feel you wasted your money if a famous guitarist stopped using it or, and/or said he didn't like it ?

At least he is honest...if it weren't for people hell bent on receiving overwhelming justification on forums and message boards, there wouldn't be any arguments.

I think what he mean't to say is that in his quest for the best rig, he bought the axe fx 2. A famous player like the Edge validates his choice, since the Edge can afford any rig, and have others carry it set it up for him.

My ears are what validate my choice and they do that every time I power up my XL. If the Edge uses the Axe too, then great, but it has zero effect on me. We are all different though so does it really matter if someone feels validated by some famous persons choice or not.

You know, its just one more card on your side when dealing with big effect rack fanatics as well as some sound guys who still don't know what the fractal is. Almost all guitarist know of the Edge's big rig and to say he's playing gigs with the Axe Fx is a nice card to pull. I hate having to justify my rig to these guys sometimes but its just part of life.

Not what I am saying at all. If I didn't like the sound or functionality I wouldn't keep it. It is just nice to know I am not alone. And the fact that people who play in front of millions of people use it as well is just that much more cool.

Back
Top Bottom