Echoplex tape delay sound using the Fractal Axe-fx?

I love the old tube tape Echoplex units. The way the delay repeats degrade, thin out and get all nasty and dirty and grungy as they decay.

There are some digital products out on the market like the Line6 DL4 and the new Eventide Timefactor that have emulations of these older tape echo units like the Echoplex.

How do we get these awesome tape echo sounds from the Fractal?

I don't hear them in any of the presets and in my tweaking I have not been able to get een close to the sound of the emulation on my Line6 DL4.

Anyone have some magic parameter tweaks or setups to get the great tape echo sounds or do we need to get the designer of the Fractal to start working on some emulations for future software updates.

I think Tape Echo sounds are very necessary for a unit of this calibre don't you?

Kristine Livingston said:
How do we get these awesome tape echo sounds from the Fractal?

We start by checking out the preset named Dirty Capstan. Then we slap Andy with a fish.

This post sounds so substantially similar to something that I have seen here before. Deja-vu for anyone else?

Could be pure coincidence, or a ghost of chat boards past.

The responses should be interesting.

For a simple tape delay use these settings from the WIKI:
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... Tape_delay
But increase the roll off to 18db/oct

For a more adventurous tape delay use the technique described here:
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... Delay_loop

In parallel, try starting w/ a tape drive to a delay a mix of 100%, feedback all the way down, the rest as above. Place a feedback send after the delay and a return in a row adjacent and one before the drive block. connect it to the drive block. Feedback mix should be a 100% and use the level to control how much feedback you can get. Be careful, the feedback can run out of control, just like a real tape delay.

That was one of Matmans creations. He posted the preset. It should be on Axechange when it is resurrected.

Yes, you can hook it up to an expression pedal.
But you have to limit the delay time quite drastically (AFAIR to max. 600ms or so) to be able to work with it...

javajunkie said:
That was one of Matmans creations. He posted the preset. It should be on Axechange when it is resurrected.

That sounds really sweet! Is it using any more than the delay block for the delay sound, or is it using a feedback loop with tape distortion too?

tonygtr said:
javajunkie said:

That sounds really sweet! Is it using any more than the delay block for the delay sound, or is it using a feedback loop with tape distortion too?

Feedback loop, but I don't think it is using the tape delay. Some additional filtering I believe.

merlin17 said:
Yes, you can hook it up to an expression pedal.
But you have to limit the delay time quite drastically (AFAIR to max. 600ms or so) to be able to work with it...

Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom