EBMM Majesty owners/ guitar tech

Heavyplayer

Experienced
About 2 weeks ago I purchased a new EBMM Majesy. Love damn near everything about this guitar EXCEPT...can't keep it in tune! I ended up exchanging it for another, and was trying the new exchange today, and what do you know, same problem. I've set-up many guitars with no issues, but this one here has me stumped! First thing I did noticed is the B string wasn't pulled all the way through the string routing hole, it was hung up on the outer part. So after correcting that problem I started adjusting the tremolo.

When I first stated playing this guitar I easily got it in tune and it stayed, even with the string not pulled through all the way. The issue started when I put the tremolo bar on. The moment I pushed down almost all the way on the bar and let it come back up it was out of tune. I didn't hear anything sounding like it was binding. I've heard guitars make that funky noise where you hear it going out.

Sometimes the A and D would go flat, while the B and high E would go sharp. It's all over the place. If I use the tremolo bar and press down and release again it goes out of tune, but doing bends brings some strings back or close to in tune again. Or I could pull the tremolo up fast to get it back in tune.

Now, after some adjustments it's the total opposite. I can push the tremolo down and it stays in tune. Bend the strings and it goes out of tune. Push down on the tremolo it goes back in tune. My question is for other owners. Did you have this same problem and if so what did you do about it? Is the tremolo really that bad on this? I find it hard to believe. Any guitar techs have any idea what is causing this issue? Any help is much appreciated.

Did you adjust the bridge posts under tension? If so you may have scarred the knife edges or posts. Could also be binding at the nut or the strings are not properly streched.

I have three Schecters with the Erine compensated nuts. I’ve replaced them multiple times and they still won’t stay in tune. Guitars just hang on the wall now.

I'm sure the B string wasn't stretched properly. working on that yet.
All strings should be properly stretched or you're doomed...

If it stays in tune except when bending and returns to pitch after a small bar use then most likely it's the strings moving over the saddle and not returning "true".

For my 2 Charvel DK-24 guitars with non-locking trems I've upgraded to Wilkinson locking saddles which helped a lot.

Ever since I started using Nut Sauce at both the nut slots and on the saddles at string changes, mine stay in tune. I wouldn't touch any of the slots with a file until you try some type of lube. Some have recommended using regular old Vasoline.

Interesting. I also cannot get my Majesty to stay in tune for the life of me. Unfortunately, my guitar room is subject to temperature extremes in both directions, so I figured it was just more sensitive than my other guitars that still mostly stay in tune. I took it for a professional setup, which I hoped would solve it, but like you, one (dramatic) divebomb is all it takes to throw it out of whack. Guitar is amazing in all other respects.

As a life-long Floyd Rose user, I was VERY skeptical of not having a locking nut. That being said, my Majesty stays in tune beautifully throughout a full rehearsal or gig. As everyone has pointed out it's either
1. The strings aren't fully stretched
2. There there is binding up in either the nut or the trem.

Interesting. I also cannot get my Majesty to stay in tune for the life of me. Unfortunately, my guitar room is subject to temperature extremes in both directions, so I figured it was just more sensitive than my other guitars that still mostly stay in tune. I took it for a professional setup, which I hoped would solve it, but like you, one (dramatic) divebomb is all it takes to throw it out of whack. Guitar is amazing in all other respects.
This is what worries and pisses me off. I normally set-up my own guitars but I let the tech do it. A guitar this badass and has tuning stability issues?! Have you tried "nut sauce" on the nuts and saddles? I've been reading a lot about that. Hate to call it a wrap with this guitar.

As a life-long Floyd Rose user, I was VERY skeptical of not having a locking nut. That being said, my Majesty stays in tune beautifully throughout a full rehearsal or gig. As everyone has pointed out it's either
My next step is getting some nut sauce and putting a bit behind the strings in the nut, as well as on the tremolo knives and will try a bit on the saddles. If this doesn't do it .....

I hate taking it in because it seems so hard to find a competent tech. This was professionally set-up yet I'm still having issues. I mean how can a tech not see the ball of the string sticking out of the trem.

This is what worries and pisses me off. I normally set-up my own guitars but I let the tech do it. A guitar this badass and has tuning stability issues?! Have you tried "nut sauce" on the nuts and saddles? I've been reading a lot about that. Hate to call it a wrap with this guitar.
I have not tried that but will do so based on the recommendations here. Thanks.

Yeah, I was a lifetime Floyd Rose user too and them I bought a Music Man LIII and I never looked back. Now I have three LIII‘s and everyone stays perfectly in tune.

Nut Sauce or some other lubricant is the way to go. And check if there are maybe any issues with the B string nut slot.

Most definitely my experience has been if you plan on doing any real use of a trem Nut Sauce is just part of the setup. It eliminates that final aspect of binding. It doesn’t take much. Having said that making sure strings are totally stretched before messing with any components is super important. I block the trem while getting all the tidbits like relief, action, etc. straight and constantly retuning in between each change, then slowly bring the claw and spring to equilibrium.

Most definitely my experience has been if you plan on doing any real use of a trem Nut Sauce is just part of the setup. It eliminates that final aspect of binding. It doesn’t take much. Having said that making sure strings are totally stretched before messing with any components is super important. I block the trem while getting all the tidbits like relief, action, etc. straight and constantly retuning in between each change, then slowly bring the claw and spring to equilibrium.
Solid advice thanks! I believe I've zoned in on the issue is the B string as it seems pretty stable tuning wise with that being the exception. The action, neck relief, intonation (will double check B string again) and tremolo all feel and looked correct, to my preference. When I get home today I will lube up the nut more and go from there. Any other suggestions is welcomed.

Yeah, I was a lifetime Floyd Rose user too and them I bought a Music Man LIII and I never looked back. Now I have three LIII‘s and everyone stays perfectly in tune.

Nut Sauce or some other lubricant is the way to go. And check if there are maybe any issues with the B string nut slot.
Yeah everything leads to the B string and being it wasn't seated properly but was set-up as is. I just have to figure out how much of an issue that one string is going to cause me.

Honestly I think there is something with the nut lubing at ebmm, because just the 20th anniversary majesty was complained about everywhere and it was always the nut.
I have a 2018 monarchy and it's stableAF

Honestly I think there is something with the nut lubing at ebmm, because just the 20th anniversary majesty was complained about everywhere and it was always the nut.
I have a 2018 monarchy and it's stableAF
Just to be clear I don’t think manufactures use any type of lube from the factory. There could have been a bunch of guitars that made it out with a poorly filed nut. Lube is more of a “helper” to eliminate issues and wear from use. It’s hard to completely fix a poorly filed nut and string binding. I also use some lube on the knife edge and any possible areas of binding on the bridge pieces.

Back
Top Bottom