EBMM JP model or JEM77BK?

shotgunn

Fractal Fanatic
Ok guys my GAS is going wild since it is tax time. I have a few more things to sell and a big return coming. I will be able to pay a ton of debt off. I have my eyes on a jem77bk and a JP model. I know the usual stuff like only I know what I want. I'm just looking for opinions from you guys who are familiar with the two guitars. I can get the jem locally for $1800 mint condition. The JP I have narrowed down yet.

Thoughts? Just pick one based on the guitar specs you know not my tastes. Both will suite my tastes musically. I've already owned a jem but never a petrucci. I'm actually leaning toward the jem though. Old lI've dies hard.

JP is 97% the only guitar I have played for the last five years. Folk, rock, funk, metal, prog, jazz, whatever. It is an amazing, superb-quality instrument.

It is nice. I regret selling mine. Really versatile , great sound. I also love my Jem. It plays like butter, love it. Sound great for what it does, but not near as versitile as the jp IMO.

You really can't go wrong with either.

Yeah I played a JP once at GC. I said to myself 'if I were on stage next JP with this guitar I might have 1/2 of an ounce of confidence.' by that I mean it was probably the best feeling guitar I've ever played. I can add piezos to whichever guitar I get since I'm a piezo fanatic.

Thanx for the input!!!

What neck/feel do you prefer or does the EB have a wide neck too?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-31.714123,115.804123

They both feel awesome to me. The JP felt 'faster'. Man this is a tough decision. The jem has scalloped frets 21-24. I'll probably change the pickups in the jem. I'd keep the pickups in the JP. I'm a dimarzio dealer so no biggie either way. I really need to play a JP again. I only played one for a few minutes thru an Egnater Tweaker. I ended up buying the Tweaker. I'll call GC tomorrow to see of they have any I can test drive.

I wouldn't say either has a wide neck. The JP is a bit narrower I think. It's been 5 or 6 years since I've played a jem and over a year since the one time I played the JP.

I've got 4 Jems and had 2 JP6s. The Jem does have a wider neck and maybe a bit thicker too.

I don't like the JP6 neck or the pickups. The important thing for you is that you do like them so go for it. It is a finely made guitar.

JP is 97% the only guitar I have played for the last five years. Folk, rock, funk, metal, prog, jazz, whatever. It is an amazing, superb-quality instrument.

So what is the diff between the JP's (besides piezo or no piezo, finish and possibly pickups)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what is the diff between the JP's (besides piezo or no piezo, finish and possibly pickups)?

Oh boy, there's so many models out with a new one coming shortly... Different woods, chambered/non-chambered, toggle selector/blade selector, new design on the trem, several different body shapes, etc...

Whaddaya think of this one? I'd probably replace the pickups and definitely put piezos in it. Not a bad price either. The maple headstock looks gorgeous too!

End time: Feb 12, 2012 8:05:22 PM CST

iPhone/iPad URL:
2001 ERNIE BALL MUSIC MAN JP-6 AUTOGRAPHED BY JOHN PETRUCCI W OHSC EXC+

Browser URL:
2001 ERNIE BALL MUSIC MAN JP-6 AUTOGRAPHED BY JOHN PETRUCCI W OHSC EXC+

Download eBay for iPad

Sent from my iPad

Well that didn't work out too well...

Here is the item number. I wish there was a way to share from the eBay app to Tapatalk.

the jpx7 is my dream guitar. i'll have it one day, funnily enough the jpx seems to be the least popular of the JP models, it has chambering which I guess makes it less ideal for the chugga chugga metal. since you're a djent meedely meedely player, it might not be ideal for djent but you might love it for the meedely meedely bit

My signature may be a bit misleading. I'm not actually a djent player. I do play a lot of palm muting power chords with high gain. My style is more thrash, groove, sludge oriented. I'll take a look at the jpx.

how do the jpx play given they are bolt on? Ive never liked bolt ons. a) just seems cheaper, so expensive for a bolt b) more important, just not as smooth in the obvious place. Any JPX neck through? I like the sounds of the JPx12? really wide and thin, 20 inch radius?!

here it tis...The JPX12 features a combination of top appointments from the JPX, JPXI and BFR Petrucci signature instruments. Most notably, the JP12 neck has been streamlined to a symmetric, extra slim profile featuring a flatter 20" radius, medium jumbo stainless steel frets with a finished mahogany neck and an ebony fingerboard. Combined with a solid basswood body, mahogany tone block and maple top, the JP12 has become the ultimate rock machine. Similar to that of the JP BFR line and JPXI, controls include two three-way toggles perfectly wired for the Custom Dimarzio LiquiFire and Crunch Lab humbuckers, in addition to a redesigned Wide-Spread Pivot tremolo with a Music Man/Fishman piezo system bridge pickup.

The JP12 guitars will be available in 6 and 7-string versions, adorned with chrome hardware, mother of pearl inlays and a new Cherry Sugar finish.

here it tis...The JPX12 features a combination of top appointments from the JPX, JPXI and BFR Petrucci signature instruments. Most notably, the JP12 neck has been streamlined to a symmetric, extra slim profile featuring a flatter 20" radius, medium jumbo stainless steel frets with a finished mahogany neck and an ebony fingerboard. Combined with a solid basswood body, mahogany tone block and maple top, the JP12 has become the ultimate rock machine. Similar to that of the JP BFR line and JPXI, controls include two three-way toggles perfectly wired for the Custom Dimarzio LiquiFire and Crunch Lab humbuckers, in addition to a redesigned Wide-Spread Pivot tremolo with a Music Man/Fishman piezo system bridge pickup.

The JP12 guitars will be available in 6 and 7-string versions, adorned with chrome hardware, mother of pearl inlays and a new Cherry Sugar finish.

how do the jpx play given they are bolt on? Ive never liked bolt ons. a) just seems cheaper, so expensive for a bolt b) more important, just not as smooth in the obvious place. Any JPX neck through? I like the sounds of the JPx12? really wide and thin, 20 inch radius?!

i honestly think that bolt on vs straight through is overstated, i really dont think it makes as much difference as other more important factors, and i dont think either is inherently better. all the JPs are bolt on, in fact all musicmans are bolt on.

i also agree than the jpx12 sounds good, probably my second pick to the jpx

I did it. I pulled the trigger on a 2001 JP-6 (autographed too!!!) $1260 shipped. Near mint condition. I'll be paying once I get my tax return. Time to sell a couple more things as well.

OMG OMG OMG... I just bought the JP and now I can't stop thinking about buying the Jem. I think I'm gonna do it. I want them BOTH!!! I'm such a bad person!!!

Back
Top Bottom