Eb tuning is such a pain in the...

Actually it's just "For Whom The Bell Tolls" that's out of tune, the rest of the album is standard. "Bells" must have been a single, or recorded at a different studio, or God forbid! sped up...

Is Riffstation an app too? Mac compatible? auto correct says computable, how apt...;)

Oh ok, can it be used with a Mac, i.e., Garageband app.?

Riffstation works on Mac or PC. Fender just bought the company and they were giving it away free I saw a couple of months ago. As long as your computer has decent speakers it will work along with your practice amp. It's a very useful program (as probably are the other ones referenced here, but I haven't tried those.)

Riffstation works on Mac or PC. Fender just bought the company and they were giving it away free I saw a couple of months ago. As long as your computer has decent speakers it will work along with your practice amp. It's a very useful program (as probably are the other ones referenced here, but I haven't tried those.)

Is there a way to get Riff Station to use your iTunes library or what is your process for convertIng from the iTunes format?

Tune all guitars to Eb, use capo on first fret for songs in E. Play guitar with no need for retuning songs.

Not bad but then all your dots are off, and you don't wanna agitate the dots ;). Besides, electric guitarists don't use no stinkin capos... :D

Hmm. I was under the impression the whole album had been sped up.

Layla was sped up and Pantera have their own strange tuning and programs like Riffstation make it so I don't have to mess with tuning my guitar just to play along to the song. And it does look like they have a Mac version.

Hmm, RTL might have been sped up, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Ha I bet they tuned to Eb and sped it up til they hit E! I once learned Pantera's Walk, geez what a pain in the arse. It was like a roller coaster, tuning in and out and in and out like it had a tape warble.

Layla...? Really?

Love your avatar btw ;)

Is there a way to get Riff Station to use your iTunes library or what is your process for convertIng from the iTunes format?

I stay way clear of anything iTunes, and anything Apple, but I can confirm that Riffstation will play mpeg4 files and pitch changing, tempo adjustment etc etc all work fine

I have used Riff station on both Mac and PC and am currently using it on PC. I am not great at organizing files -- personal flaw -- but I just drag iTunes songs out of the iTunes folder and put them in a directory of songs I am learning. Riff Station plays them with no conversion.

dpeterson, thanks for mentioning that app "Best Practice" I installed it after checking it was virus free.

I used to use an app called Amazing Slow Downer but it was buggy.

Arnie999, I have that exact guitar GM4TA, the TT2 transposes like this:
-5, -4, -2 [0] +2, +3 or B C D [E] F# G
I also have the ZT3 TT3 transposes like this:
-2, -1 [0] +1, +2 or D Eb [E] F F#

For a while I used the ZT3 all the time but eventually the cheap metal that Gibson Steinberger used on the TT3 started to wear out. For going between tunings that guitar can't be beat (except the whole stripping Transtrem arm issue.

These days I use the Whammy DT for simplicity (Transtrems require too much re-calibration IMHO) I could use the AFII's pitch block but I save on CPU usage plus changing presets is a breeze with the Whammy DT setting the tuning.

Around a decade ago I retuned all my music collection A to Z using ASD Amazing Slow Downer, then one day I'm listening to retuned classics and snapped/went back to the listening to the original CD tracks.

One thing that drove me nuts was Van Halen, Pantera songs, tunings all over the road, Ratt was another. I seen many guitarist with Floyd Rose guitar going nuts tuning a floating trem all the time to play along to music. ;)

The bass player and other guitarist (he plays acoustic only) are both tuned in Eb, but the majority of our songs are in E. The other guitarist uses a capo when needed (which is most of the time) and the bass player just adjusts up or down the neck, often forgoing open strings. I hate using a capo on electrics since they almost always muck my tuning up, so I bring one Eb guitar to gigs along with the others, the rest of which are all in E. I bring 5 guitars to gigs, and have gotten real fast at switching guitars on stage. (I can swap guitars faster than my bandmate can change his capo.)

Almost a 5-year old thread. Gotta laugh because the answers to this OP would probably all be different now. We'd all probably say, "just throw in a pitch block at -1," but this must've been in it's infancy in the Axe-Fx back in 2018? (although Moke mentions it in his comment). Frankly, I have a couple guitars dedicated to Eb tuning, and I'm not even sure I need them anymore because of the pitch block. Re-thinking my strategy... Can anyone think of a reason to hang onto Eb tunings?

Almost a 5-year old thread. Gotta laugh because the answers to this OP would probably all be different now. We'd all probably say, "just throw in a pitch block at -1," but this must've been in it's infancy in the Axe-Fx back in 2018? (although Moke mentions it in his comment). Frankly, I have a couple guitars dedicated to Eb tuning, and I'm not even sure I need them anymore because of the pitch block. Re-thinking my strategy... Can anyone think of a reason to hang onto Eb tunings?
Just to keep the guitar! IDK I have done a few Eb tunings using the pitch block and I can still tell the difference with the latency and slight warble in the notes. Splitting hairs for the convenience for shure but it's still there. For a gig it's definitely much quicker but in a room by yourself I would rather have a different guitar for that tuning.

LOL!!!!! OP here. I've got a EVH Frankie replica that fills the Eb needs (and my old RG550). There's something about Eb and slinky strings (9's). It is a different style of playing. You gotta get the intonation right when playing and it's the only way I can pull of anything close to Eddie's style.

I can't believe it's been 5 years. I've played more guitar in this 5 year period than I did my whole life thanks to Fractal.

Back
Top Bottom