EB Jr. > GCP > Axe setup help

TonyGring

Inspired
Dang it! Was hoping to do this on my own. I don't want to bork anything so I'm asking for help. My GCP is set up for virtual pedal board: bottom four buttons are patches, top eight buttons are IA's for chorus , trem , drive, etc. I have a TRS insert cable attached to the IN and OUT of the EB and into PEDAL 1 on the GCP. GCP manual says " Before using expression pedals, you need to enable them from the Pedal category of Setup mode" " After you select a preset and enter Edit mode, you can specify what each expression pedal will control by pressing Select ( w/ down arrow) untill you see the following display: PI. 064 CTL007." Well, what do they mean by " when you select a preset and enter edit mode" ? I have tried selecting patch 001, then holding down EDIT button and DEVICE 00 comes up. I then press the down arrow hoping to see the PI. 064 CTL007 but I get " INIT ", I press down arrow again and I get " SAVE TO 01 " By " select a preset" do they mean from the top two rows of buttons? I'm worried I'll disable one of my IA's now used for FX on/off. Do I have to have a free IA button that isn't assigned to the Axe to set up the EB Vol. ? I'm pretty confused and don't want to make a mess of things. I'd sure appreciate any help. Thanks so much!

Read the "Edit Preset" section of the manual again. Have you run through the setup mode? In setup mode you name the devices you will be controlling and assign them MIDI channels. I believe it says "DEVICE" because you didn't name the device you are controlling anything and "00" because it's sending PC "00". The next item "INIT" is the preset name it will save on exiting (you should rename it whatever you like). It says "INIT" because you haven't named it anything yet. Keep hitting the down arrow to step through the other parameters of the preset. If you don't see the P1 controller it's because you didn't properly set it up in the Setup mode.

stevieray, thanks so much! I'll read the " edit preset" in the manual again. I initially ran through the setup mode to configure the GCP to the " virtual pedalboard " I described. At that time, I did not have an insert cable or EB Vol pedal so I didn't proceed on to naming any more devices to be controlled. Also haven't bothered to name any patches on the GCP yet. Been more busy tweaking patches on Axe! I'll give this another go. My main concern is not changing the configuration of " virtual pedalboard" that the GCP is now in by trying to set up my Vol pedal with it. Hopefully that won't happen. Stupid question but, I'm assuming the GCP has to be connected to the Axe while setting up the Vol. pedal in the GCP or, can I do it with just the GCP alone? Will the Axe automaticly recognize the MIDI message sent from the GCP to change my patch volume? I do have a volume block in all my patches. Thanks for your help!

Quoting your own post here, "Before using expression pedals, you need to enable them from the Pedal category of Setup mode".

The only way to compromise 4 preset mode is to change that parameter in setup mode.

You don't have to have your GCPro connected to anything to program it. This stuff is dumber than you think it is. The best way to describe the MIDI "conversation" that is happening is the GCPro just talks, and it only says what you tell it to say (MIDI OUT). The Axe-Fx listens (MIDI IN) if it's tuned to the same station (MIDI CHANNEL) and reacts accordingly. There are two types of commands the GCPro is barking (PC and CC). It should be pretty easy to get the PC working. You'll know it is when your 4 preset switches on the GCPro recall presets on the Axe-Fx. The CC messages aren't much harder. They just send a value (0-127) for a given controller number. Each IA switch has a unique controller #, as do the pedal connections. You assign those controller #s in setup mode. The switches can only send two values (0 for off or 127 for on). The pedal can sweep all values between 0 and 127.

The Axe will automatically respond to PC messages on it's MIDI channel. The CC stuff you have to assign in the I/O > CTRL screen.

Back
Top Bottom