Easy way to use Headphones?

mets1969

Inspired
Hi Guys::

My setup is basic. I have the Ultra going into a power Amp out to passive speakers. I would like to use headphones. What is the best way to do this?

thanks

You could use the unbalanced or balanced outs (output 1) & run them into a small mixer using
the mixer's headphone out.

On the Vetta I used a $3 Y-cord from Radio Shack to join the line-level L/R "FX send" signals into a female stereo jack, then plugged in headphones into that. You don't need a headphone amp unless you want it unneccesarily loud or want to plug in multiple pairs of headphones. I hope that helps.

Frankly I find everyone's responses to this strange and overkillish. Maybe they've never tried my method.

jerotas said:
Frankly I find everyone's responses to this strange and overkillish. Maybe they've never tried my method.

There's more than one way to skin a cat :cool:

I do most of my work in a studio - that was the first thing I thought of.

> Frankly I find everyone's responses to this strange and overkillish.
> Maybe they've never tried my method.

The results will vary drastically with your method. You are driving a very low impedance load with a higher impedance source. Not all line outs (balanced or unbalanced) are created equally.

The easiest method is a little headphone amp or small mixer as already mentioned above. If you don't want to spend any money, then you may already have a home stereo receiver/stereo preamp which typically have a headphone out around the house.

mets1969,
Also don't forget that if you are currently not using cab sims then you will definitely need to if you go to headphones.

- John

JKos said:
> Frankly I find everyone's responses to this strange and overkillish.
> Maybe they've never tried my method.

The results will vary drastically with your method. You are driving a very low impedance load with a higher impedance source. Not all line outs (balanced or unbalanced) are created equally.

The easiest method is a little headphone amp or small mixer as already mentioned above. If you don't want to spend any money, then you may already have a home stereo receiver/stereo preamp which typically have a headphone out around the house.

mets1969,
Also don't forget that if you are currently not using cab sims then you will definitely need to if you go to headphones.

- John

That has been my experience.

Good points everyone.
Headphone amp - a good thing to have anyway so you can't go wrong. I have not tried my Y-cord method with the Axe-Fx and it may well not work as well as with the Vetta. Your total expense will be like $5 though, so it's worth a shot to see if it works (in case you're out of funds from buying other things). Y-cords are also a useful thing to have around so you needn't return it if it doesn't work well.

Agreed the Sony 7506's are very good and comfortable.
I prefer the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's. They are a little more ($140). Better bass response.

And yes, you will have to use cab sims, at least for distorted patches. Clean patches...not necessarily. I used to use only the G-Force to get a very U2-ish patch (line out) and it has no cab sims.

Using my 13 year old trusty small Mackie mixer headphone out jack with Sennheiser HD600 cans.
Works great.

I just used what I already had. I can use my Mbox2 with the headphones. Power the USB port an joila. No Pc needed.

Back
Top Bottom