Easiest way to do this?

JeremiahEdward

Inspired
I'm thinking of picking up an AX8 along with an Eventide H9 so I can have a massive amount of extreme delays/reverbs (for post rock/shoegaze).

I am out of room on my pedalboard and would like to keep the H9 on a shelf in the rack with the power amp and run it in one of two ways:

1) Connected in the AX8 effects loop, or..
2) Connected with Midi at the end of the chain.

Would I just run the H9 in the AX8's effects loop and then assign a footswitch to turn the effects loop on/off when I want to "bypass" the H9? This will cut off the reverb/delay tails. OR, will the AX8 send midi commands to engage/disengage the H9 so that the tails ring out?

Last edited:
Would I just run the H9 in the AX8's effects loop and then assign a footswitch to turn the effects loop on/off when I want to "bypass" the H9? This will cut off the reverb/delay tails.

Tails will not be cut off when you set the bypass mode of the block to MUTE IN.

Either will work fine; the third option would be to put it in the FX loop and have the AX8 send Midi PC to the H9 so that you've got the option to place the H9 anywhere in your chain.

Excellent. Is there a way to set it up so the LED on the AX8 is illuminated when the h9 is engaged and off when the h9 is bypassed? Since it will be in the rack, I will have no way of knowing until I hit a chord. That could be a disaster in some instances. I'm not super proficient when it comes to midi so I don't really know it's limitations yet.

If you put it in the FX loop, you can assign the fx loop block to one of the footswitches. This will let you see the bypass status whenever you like. The AX8 sends one midi PC per scene, but won't tell you about the status of an external device.

Are you using Bluetooth control on the H9? If so, you could monitor the status of the H9 using their control app on your tablet or phone and use this to assure you don't have any disasters.

with a little thinking the AX-8 will run A reverb and multiple delays at one time. I would try the AX-8 by itself first and see how it works.

Great question and I'll be watching his thread. I have been thinking about using external delays and verbs as well.

Excellent. Is there a way to set it up so the LED on the AX8 is illuminated when the h9 is engaged and off when the h9 is bypassed? Since it will be in the rack, I will have no way of knowing until I hit a chord. That could be a disaster in some instances. I'm not super proficient when it comes to midi so I don't really know it's limitations yet.
If you use the trick with a volume block in front of the FX loop, you can assign the volume block to a pedal and then the corresponding LED will light up.

Back
Top Bottom