Early VH Tone ? Echo Plex or Reverb for Live FOH ?

This is good to note. If you're recording, throw the reverb on there. Using the reverb Pre-Delay setting is key. On my live EVH tone, I use some delay similar to the above info and a touch of reverb for a little bit of nod to the recordings, but you definitely don't want to use much of it as you won't cut thru, which would be very non-EVH like. As Blix said, it's not something that EVH did live (and he reportedly didn't like it too much on the recording). And you definitely don't want a heavy reverb with the dry left/wet right configuration for live use. Anyone on the right side of the stage would just hear distant guitar that's out of time. :tearsofjoy:
Got everything stereo so both left and right audience hears same tone

According to Ted Templeman the reverb was not panned to one side. It was in stereo. It just gets drowned out on the guitar side.
Could well be. If you listen to just the guitar side, there is somewhat of an echo, but I always thought that was the Echoplex that was punt in front of the amp and thus would come through on both sides.

How can I get that reverb plug in or your saying I can get it by adjusting a chamber verb already in axe 3 ?
The Sunset Sound reverb plugin is sold by IK Multimedia. Yes, you can get that sound with the Axe FX by using the chamber reverb, 100ms predelay, etc, the same settings you would have to program with the plugin.

The tone on VH-1 does not translate live very well. The isolated tracks are VERY bright with tons of reverb panned to the right. Ed didn't use reverb live.

The delay is easy. I use a mono tape, 335MS, feedback is 5%, mix is 1.2%. The mix has to be VERY low to work in front of a cranked superlead. For the amp, I use the 1959SLP with everything on 10. Look up Dweezil Zappa's Gift of Tone and grab his IR's. Eruption Cab Bright and Dark. I lower the bright cab -30db's. The IR's are not panned.

Here's a screen shot from each of my blocks...
You are a saint. Thank you

Really trying to nail that early VH 1 & 2 tone..more 2 for live gigging. I got the amp & cab tone down but the delay and or reverb is where I’m having trouble. It seems to my ears that he is using more reverb when I listen to the isolated guitar tracks on you tube ( like light up the sky, somebody get me a doctor)
I’m also aware of the echo plex anomaly ( can Axe do that ?). Any guidance on what he was predominantly using and if something already exists for the Axe 3 ???

Thank you in advance
Honestly there are tons of fantastic VH patches already made and out there for free. Andy Wood did one that was pretty amazing. I would not recreate the wheel IMO.

Honestly there are tons of fantastic VH patches already made and out there for free. Andy Wood did one that was pretty amazing. I would not recreate the wheel IMO.

@Bam5150

IMHO .... It doesn't get any better than this: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/van-halen-1-cygnus.174826/

Obviously this was pre "Dyna-Cabs" ..., but again IMHO the addition of Dyna-Cabs only makes it that much easier !

Depending on the day ( and my mood ) I use either the 1960TV w/a Dynamic ..., or the 5153 w/a Dynamic ! If it sounds a little thin, then I just add in the same cab w/a Ribbon and mix it to taste .... You can move the mic positions ..., but I usually leave them right on the Cap for the brightest / rudest tone !

Also, for the Echo Plex, there's a couple of ways to get there.

1.) use an IR player and load James Santiago's EP-3 tone match ....
2.) use two ( 2 ) PEQ blocks and load @Admin M@ 's PEQ blocks ....

Finally, my preference for the Ain't Talkin' bout Love delay is a Worn Tape block ( in series before the AMP ) .... I'm not sure where that came from, so I can't cite the original source ....

I've attached all the relevant blocks !

Have fun !

Attachments

• Echoplex TAPE.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Eddie - Worn Tape.blk
    1.1 KB · Views: 15
  • EP-PRE-1.blk
    473 bytes · Views: 14
  • EP-PRE-2.blk
    473 bytes · Views: 14
Last edited:
Also, for the Echo Plex, there's a couple of ways to get there.

1.) use an IR player and load James Santiago's EP-3 tone match ....
2.) use two ( 2 ) PEQ blocks and load @Admin M@ 's PEQ blocks ....
Note that these are really only to get the color of the Preamp from the Echoplex...

I’m pretty sure there’s a factory preset that does this. I’m no EVH connoisseur so maybe that factory preset isn’t 1:1 but ut sure sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom