DynaCab Package workflow/ How to install to FM9?

NOTE: These "Dyna-Cabs" are neither made for nor compatible with FAS hardware. They are intended for use only in CabLab 4, our free Dyna Cab editing software. From CabLab 4, you can generate IR's which you can then import into your FAS hardware.

This is what I would liked to have seen before I purchased them. When I purchased the original 4 cab packs via the Beta offering, I did not do enough research and made the assumption that a DynaCab could be used on my Axe, just like any other cab pack I would buy. I assumed CabLab 4 was simply something to do some extra adjustments to the cab packs, not their exclusive home. So my bad, I should have read more. But if the statement above had been at the top of the page where I was purchasing, I would NOT have bought them. I too have no interest in running more software and doing the export process, then when I need a change, go back to cab lab again, export again, import into hardware again. F that!

I love FAS and all the goodies we get served up for free, but I was not happy how this was developed and rolled out. Without integration of working with the Dyna Cab blocks on the hardware, I believe the naming is confusing and misleading. I have used the 4 Dyna Cab packs I purchased exactly 0 times due to this lack of integration.

NOTE: These "Dyna-Cabs" are neither made for nor compatible with FAS hardware. They are intended for use only in CabLab 4, our free Dyna Cab editing software. From CabLab 4, you can generate IR's which you can then import into your FAS hardware.

This is what I would liked to have seen before I purchased them. When I purchased the original 4 cab packs via the Beta offering, I did not do enough research and made the assumption that a DynaCab could be used on my Axe, just like any other cab pack I would buy. I assumed CabLab 4 was simply something to do some extra adjustments to the cab packs, not their exclusive home. So my bad, I should have read more. But if the statement above had been at the top of the page where I was purchasing, I would NOT have bought them. I too have no interest in running more software and doing the export process, then when I need a change, go back to cab lab again, export again, import into hardware again. F that!

I love FAS and all the goodies we get served up for free, but I was not happy how this was developed and rolled out. Without integration of working with the Dyna Cab blocks on the hardware, I believe the naming is confusing and misleading. I have used the 4 Dyna Cab packs I purchased exactly 0 times due to this lack of integration.

My point exactly.

If this text was up there, I wouldn't buy it.

Also, people mentioning mic position being limited in FM9, I am a recording engineer and that's how I make a living. The real issue if you are looking for one is the lack of angling the mic off-axis, but knowing how hard that it is to implement, I am not missing it. You would normally be on aligned to the center and move it from cone to the edge anyway, and move it in and out. Nothing is missing for real life purposes.

Last edited:
Has Fractal confirmed that there is no plan to add more Mics and DynaCabs to the unit itself? I bought the 2 4x12 dyna pacs which are great, would be a shame not to have the mics options for FM9 users that don’t use cablab.

Has Fractal confirmed that there is no plan to add more Mics and DynaCabs to the unit itself? I bought the 2 4x12 dyna pacs which are great, would be a shame not to have the mics options for FM9 users that don’t use cablab.
You never say never ,but I think the point is that the hardware does not have the ability to store 10 mics so FAS gave a few of the most popular and gave CabLab for free

It would be really cool if the hardware had 4 or 5 open selectable mic blocks and the user could pick from there
So the guy that always uses the 421 can load that up but with the same limitations
You can only load 2 dynamics
1 ribbon , 1 condenser at a time

I understand the frustration - but as a Axe III Turbo user, I love the cablab workflow which is really well done and an elegant solution to the finite space every hardware unit will have.

Disk drives are cheap, I’d happily buy a whole drive for Fractal Dynacabs

I understand the frustration - but as a Axe III Turbo user, I love the cablab workflow which is really well done and an elegant solution to the finite space every hardware unit will have.

Disk drives are cheap, I’d happily buy a whole drive for Fractal Dynacabs

Can't wait until SD card expansion slots become a standard on modelers. So much potential there for storage and retrieval of additional presets, Dynacabs, IRs, loops, etc... Not to speak of having an emergency backup on tap at all times.

I'm with you on not wanting to add more steps to my workflow, so I haven't bought any so far. TBH I'm also not sure I'll be able to do as well at mixing them as Fractal and York and others, so for now I'll let them handle it.

But I do like the flexibility DynaCabs give us in the box, so I might jump in at some point, we'll see.

But honestly, I think your anger at FAS because you didn't understand the product you bought is misplaced.
I agree in that my mixing capabilities are definitely not on par with Fractal et al. I purchased the 1960TV pack, and every IR I’ve exported sounds boomy to me, and I just can’t seem to dial it out.

I’m using a good FRFR speaker (Cubo Ex), and the factory Dynacabs sound fine through it

I agree in that my mixing capabilities are definitely not on par with Fractal et al. I purchased the 1960TV pack, and every IR I’ve exported sounds boomy to me, and I just can’t seem to dial it out.

I’m using a good FRFR speaker (Cubo Ex), and the factory Dynacabs sound fine through it
What I would suggest is looking at vids of some Dyna Cabs that have tones you like to see where they are placing mics
Burgs , Rosh Roslin , Cooper Carter , LT all have good starting off points and you can tweak from there

Can't wait until SD card expansion slots become a standard on modelers. So much potential there for storage and retrieval of additional presets, Dynacabs, IRs, loops, etc... Not to speak of having an emergency backup on tap at all times.
Yes and sorta. Yes more storage would be welcome I agree.

The sorta is that it thay SD Card specifically is limited to only certain things. Why? SD Cards are slow compared to inline storage - e.g. cards are fine for mp3s on your phone, but not for the operating system or latency sensitive user apps. I'm not sure what parts of Fractal OS would be fine on slower storage if any. I don't think it's the solution you are hoping for.

The sorta is that it thay SD Card specifically is limited to only certain things. Why? SD Cards are slow compared to inline storage - e.g. cards are fine for mp3s on your phone, but not for the operating system or latency sensitive user apps. I'm not sure what parts of Fractal OS would be fine on slower storage if any. I don't think it's the solution you are hoping for.
I'd think it's be very useful for transferring data into or out of your Fractal, not for reading from it in real time.

Once dynacabs can be unlocked in the cab block with a purchase, I’ll buy them. I already have Wall of Sound with over 200 dynacabs. I have no good reason to repeat that workflow because frankly it’s a PITA for me. If WOS didn’t already exist, maybe I’d try this but I’m already heavily invested in that platform and I stay away from it unless I really need to use it.

I'd think it's be very useful for transferring data into or out of your Fractal, not for reading from it in real time.

^^^ This! @FPFL I am aware of the challenges that real-time operation could pose with using SD cards. Not looking to read dynamically from the SD card, at least not now, or quite possibly ever. I guess that would depend on how fast SD card tech got. It could however be incredibly useful however for, per my post, "storage and retrieval". Could easily see it being accessed during preset creation and editing as well as backup and restore operations. Also, for example, to select from additional Dynacabs that don't consume the available storage capacity available on the FM9, have an additional 1000 presets, more setlists, store loops, or to have your entire IR library on tap to select from. It would provide plenty of additional storage space that could be used to swap data in and out of, that could then be used dynamically on the FM9, not the SD card.

Last edited:
I don't think I'm alone in saying that like many things in Fractal universe, I have read up on stuff before taking a plunge whether that's a preset change, buying some sort of FRFR, or even using DynaCabs to begin with.

One of the first things I learned when reading the thread here and the web store link to the 3rd party DC packs was that using them required CabLab 4. Right there it was intuitive to me that I wouldn't get the same level of on-the-unit adjustment as with the native DCs on my FM9. And I've never even used CabLab before.

Sorry to say OP, I think this is a case of pulling the trigger before doing enough research - which we can all be guilty of when we're excited about something. I do see under the "Important Information" on the product page there is some clear language that may have been added after a few people expressed buyer's remorse.

Hopefully you can still get some utility out of this though, if the point was to tweak and get great tone, why not try out some mixes over several gigs and then end up with some sounds you really like, that you wouldn't have had before?

It would be really cool if the hardware had 4 or 5 open selectable mic blocks and the user could pick from there
So the guy that always uses the 421 can load that up but with the same limitations
That’d break when sharing presets with someone else, or break for the individual when restoring backups after changing that setting.

Agreed.

Removable and fragile storage isn’t a good solution for a device that is expected to work reliably. People will complain that the modeler didn’t warn them when they deleted or renamed a file using their computer and then reinserted the chip and a preset doesn’t work. Then, if the modeler does warn them, they will complain when the modeler has to rescan the chip at power-up to see if every preset has the necessary IRs and then load them into memory so switching speed is maintained.

I do see under the "Important Information" on the product page there is some clear language that may have been added after a few people expressed buyer's remorse.
At least this part seems new (the whole thing, but I bolded the most relevant bit):

• DynaCab Packs do not add new DynaCabs inside the Cab block. Instead, they are opened using Cab-Lab 4 to create and save custom mix IRs into "User Cab" slots on the hardware, offering enhanced flexibility and a wider range of sonic options compared to onboard Dynacabs.

Back
Top Bottom