DynaCab Package workflow/ How to install to FM9?

OP here:

I am glad this post didn't end up being a fighting ground for opposite sides; and I am glad Fractal now has altered the info on the webpage by adding:

"DynaCab Packs do not add new DynaCabs inside the Cab block. Instead, they are opened using Cab-Lab 4 to create and save custom mix IRs into "User Cab" slots on the hardware, offering enhanced flexibility and a wider range of sonic options compared to onboard Dynacabs."

Also; I love how the pack sounds, especially the MD421 and M160 mics have changed my work flow. I never doubted that they were gonna sound good. But yeah, the workflow... It's not great, whilst usable.

While making a preset, running FM9 edit and CabLab4, Such a PITA that they don't manage to pause the other one's communications while they are running at the same time for example. You need to press Pause on FM9edit to be able to go to CabLab, or it won't even let you do anything. and then remember to Pause CabLab to go back... yeah.

Also; You can't work with a Stereo cab block, and see how you can use 2 cabs in relation to each other by panning a bit etc, while in CabLab. But in FM9 dynacab, you can...

So being able to mix a R121 panned a bit to left to MD412 panned a bit to right for example is what I would want to be able to do. But CabLab only works in mono, and if I am gonna need to export them to be able to pan them, and then go back to cablab to tweak again...

OP here:

I am glad this post didn't end up being a fighting ground for opposite sides; and I am glad Fractal now has altered the info on the webpage by adding:

"DynaCab Packs do not add new DynaCabs inside the Cab block. Instead, they are opened using Cab-Lab 4 to create and save custom mix IRs into "User Cab" slots on the hardware, offering enhanced flexibility and a wider range of sonic options compared to onboard Dynacabs."

Also; I love how the pack sounds, especially the MD421 and M160 mics have changed my work flow. I never doubted that they were gonna sound good. But yeah, the workflow... It's not great, whilst usable.

While making a preset, running FM9 edit and CabLab4, Such a PITA that they don't manage to pause the other one's communications while they are running at the same time for example. You need to press Pause on FM9edit to be able to go to CabLab, or it won't even let you do anything. and then remember to Pause CabLab to go back... yeah.

Also; You can't work with a Stereo cab block, and see how you can use 2 cabs in relation to each other by panning a bit etc, while in CabLab. But in FM9 dynacab, you can...

So being able to mix a R121 panned a bit to left to MD412 panned a bit to right for example is what I would want to be able to do. But CabLab only works in mono, and if I am gonna need to export them to be able to pan them, and then go back to cablab to tweak again...
You could soccer the stereo concern by running the plugin on two tracks in your DAW which have been panned...

Not ideal, but an option that might work for you.

Also, I suspect that might remove the need to pause the editor... But I'm using ProTools so I haven't tested the plugin.

Well, just purchased a dynacab package.... only to have the same experience - and frustration - as the OP originally have.

Yes, I could have read a bit more.

But hey, it doesn't matter how many times you write "DynaCab Packs do not add new DynaCabs inside the Cab block.", IMO this is still a textbook example of counterintuitiveness (if such word exists at all ;)).

I love you guys, but this is definitely something to improve.

The sorta is that it thay SD Card specifically is limited to only certain things. Why? SD Cards are slow compared to inline storage - e.g. cards are fine for mp3s on your phone, but not for the operating system or latency sensitive user apps. I'm not sure what parts of Fractal OS would be fine on slower storage if any. I don't think it's the solution you are hoping for.
I think it is important to note that even the Two Notes Cab M has a limitation on how many of their DynIRs can be installed at a given time. The SD Storage doesn't increase that limit at all.

That’d break when sharing presets with someone else, or break for the individual when restoring backups after changing that setting.
This is also a very real and valid concern regarding adding any ability to swap out installed DynaCabs on the devices.

I would love to see the next iteration of devices adjusted to increase the available storage significantly to allow more future enhancements that require more storage to be implemented with fewer constraints. And to allow more DynaCabs to be installed. However, I'm still very happy with what we have today!

That being said, here is the benefit I personally got with CabLab 4 and DynaCab Packs. I try to faithfully recreate the sounds of a song I'm covering for worship. A lot of those songs us an AC-30 TB. However, I always find that Amp to be way too bright for my personal tastes. Even with humbuckers. Unless, of course, you crank the Gain so it saturates but then there is too much gain for the style of music and the sound I'm trying to recreate. I tried and struggled to dial in a good sound with the built-in Class-A 2x12 DynaCabs. There is a shrill spike in the 1-2k range at low Gain. I just don't find it pleasant at all. I tried to EQ it out but it sucked some of the life out of the Amp.

When the cab pack for that cab was released I used the additional mic types and positions to find a sound that allowed me to remove the EQ and revive the life in the sound and tame the shrill sound. (That spike is most apparent on the e string). I'm really happy with where I landed with it and I find the Amp much more enjoyable to use.

Yes, it is slightly inconvenient I have to: adjust my preset pause FM9-Edit, connect CabLab, position the mics and export an IR, disconnect CabLab, resume FM9-Edit, try the sounds of my preset with the new IR, rinse and repeat. However, the results made that little bit of effort worthwhile! If I dial in the sound correctly at home I've yet to find the need to adjust the mics on the Cab block when I plug into the house system.

Yes, it is slightly inconvenient I have to: adjust my preset pause FM9-Edit, connect CabLab, position the mics and export an IR, disconnect CabLab, resume FM9-Edit, try the sounds of my preset with the new IR, rinse and repeat. However, the results made that little bit of effort worthwhile! If I dial in the sound correctly at home I've yet to find the need to adjust the mics on the Cab block when I plug into the house system.

Still easier than auditioning cabs in the old days. Used to have to cart all your gear to 63 music stores to try out cabs. Uphill. Both ways. Expensively....

it is slightly inconvenient I have to: adjust my preset pause FM9-Edit, connect CabLab, position the mics and export an IR, disconnect CabLab, resume FM9-Edit, try the sounds of my preset with the new IR, rinse and repeat.
I'd recommend, when you're in CabLab, making multiple variations of the mic positions and write those to the FM9, THEN audition each of those. If one is spot-on, use it. If the sound you want is somewhere between, then make an additional IR that's in the middle. Once you're finished then continue on with the rest of the adjustments to the preset. Once you're finished delete the IRs you didn't like and save the CabLab session, maybe even compress it, and back it up somewhere.

Also, I start with the Amp and Cab only and get the core sound I want, then add and adjust the pre and post effects, much like I'd do with a tube amp.

I'd recommend, when you're in CabLab, making multiple variations of the mic positions and write those to the FM9, THEN audition each of those. If one is spot-on, use it. If the sound you want is somewhere between, then make an additional IR that's in the middle. Once you're finished then continue on with the rest of the adjustments to the preset. Once you're finished delete the IRs you didn't like and save the CabLab session, maybe even compress it, and back it up somewhere.

Also, I start with the Amp and Cab only and get the core sound I want, then add and adjust the pre and post effects, much like I'd do with a tube amp.
That is what I was attempting to do. I found after playing for some time in my initial couple of attempts that I didn't get that spike fully tamed. So, went back a third time and finally got it where I liked it. Though something weird happened on that third time where I disconnected CabLab and reconnected FM9-Edit and it sound all weird. I couldn't figure out why the IR sounded so different outside of CabLab 4. Then I fully quit CabLab and the IR sounded like it was supposed to. It was almost as though CabLab was still connected and affecting the cab block in some wierd way until I completely exited the app. I need to see if I can reproduce that behavior again to log a bug.

If anyone is curious of my settings and has the Class-A 2x12 Cab Pack here are my settings (I'd share the IR but probably would break licensing agreement if you don't own the DynaCab Pack).

Mic 1:
Type = Dynamic 57
Level = 0.0 dB
Angular = 0 deg
Center/Edge = 4.19 cm
Distance = 1.45 cm

Mic 2:
Type = Ribbon 160
Level = -2.7 dB
Angular = 134 deg
Center/Edge = 3.28 cm
Distance = 9.18 cm

I don't typically apply cuts here unless there is something specific that sticks out to me. Generally, I just set them on the Cab Preamp.

Back
Top Bottom