DynaCab Package workflow/ How to install to FM9?

Cem

Experienced
Edit: Very disappointed to have to run Cab Lab to be able to tweak “DynaCab”. I have a DynaCab block. Why the extra step and bottleneck in the workflow. Regret the purchase.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my FM9 to receive the recently released Freed Man 4x12 Dyna Cab Pack...

I purchased it, downloaded Cab Lab 4, activated the pack and installed it in Cab Lab, but how do I get it to show up in the DynaCab list?

I can export a UltraRes iR ofc, but I want to adjust the mic position/selection in the FM9 edit, not in Cab Lab. There is no information in the manual either?

What am I doing wrong/supposed to do?

P.S. If I need to run the Cab Lab 4 to be able to use it I will be pretty much mad tbh. Because that means I can't take the Freed Man 4x12 package to a gig...?!

Last edited:
You can’t.

You mix in CabLab and export the IR to the FM9, it works great
You gotta be kidding me.

Why is this not written with a BIG FONT in the purchase page then.

The only reason I purchased this was to extend my Dyna Cab library that I can control via FM9 edit myself. I don't wanna open another app to move the mic and then save it as an UltraRes iR. What is the point with that work flow.

This is false advertisement, and as a 12 year long fractal customer, i am pissed for the first time.

If I can't install the DynaCab packs that Fractal Audio releases into my Fractal Audio device as one of the factory Dynacab packs... Why is this even called DynaCab?!

This is just...

Right at the top of the page . . . "After you purchase a DynaCab pack in our store and your order is processed by our team, it becomes available automatically inside the Cab Pack Manager of Cab-Lab 4 when you enter your username and password from our store or the email address and order number."

Right at the top of the page . . . "After you purchase a DynaCab pack in our store and your order is processed by our team, it becomes available automatically inside the Cab Pack Manager of Cab-Lab 4 when you enter your username and password from our store or the email address and order number."

Well, yes. But this doesn't say that you can't actually use your DynaCab package inside your device with DynaCab support as DynaCab...

Basically now that I learn, you have to make your own UltraRes iRs from your new DynaCabs, and that is not written anywhere.

If I can move the Mic around on the DynaCabs that FAS includes in the Firmware updates, why can't I do the same for the Fractal Released extra packages?

I get that if a 3rd party one is only available as an UltraRes Import, but this is just in the way of work flow. I have moved on from UltraRes, I am only using DynaCab. Sick of choosing iRs etc.

I just wanted more mics to choose from, and this pack promised that. I got it the day of release, guess what... You need to export your iRs?!

And no, the whole reason I wanted to extend the DynaCab library was not to have to commit to a mic position and do small adjustments as I go.

I am not gonna use CabLab in addition to Fm9 edit while making presets. remember to pause the other one while going back to the other etc.

40$ down the drain I guess.

Well, yes. But this doesn't say that you can't actually use your DynaCab package inside your device with DynaCab support as DynaCab...

Basically now that I learn, you have to make your own UltraRes iRs from your new DynaCabs, and that is not written anywhere.
But that’s what CabLab is for . . . Just try it. It’s pretty easy to use and you will likely end up with some IRs that you really like.

But that’s what CabLab is for . . . Just try it. It’s pretty easy to use and you will likely end up with some IRs that you really like.
You are missing my point.

I am not saying it’s hard to use. I am not saying it’s a bad product either.

When I have a DynaCab block in my device, I should be able to import a DynaCab released by FAS?!!!

a small side note: I sold my axe fx 3 1.5 years ago and I was using an axe fx 2 in the mean while, 2 weeks ago I tried a friend’s fm3 with dynacab and I was sold, ordered an Fm9 right away,

So I jumped back to Use DynaCab…

And now there is a DynaCab release, that I pay 40$ for, released by the company that allows me to move the mic within the device, not a 3rd party extra. That I can’t import into my FM9? And it’s not written anywhere that I have to be running Cab Lab at all times to be able to tweak it?

The explanation suggests nothing other than one needs Cab Lab for download and activation.

I already have Fractool, Fractal-Bot
And Fm9 edit.

I don’t want another app in my workflow.

That is my point.

You are missing my point.

I am not saying it’s hard to use. I am not saying it’s a bad product either.

When I have a DynaCab block in my device, I should be able to import a DynaCab released by FAS?!!!

a small side note: I sold my axe fx 3 1.5 years ago and I was using an axe fx 2 in the mean while, 2 weeks ago I tried a friend’s fm3 with dynacab and I was sold, ordered an Fm9 right away,

So I jumped back to Use DynaCab…

And now there is a DynaCab release, that I pay 40$ for, released by the company that allows me to move the mic within the device, not a 3rd party extra. That I can’t import into my FM9? And it’s not written anywhere that I have to be running Cab Lab at all times to be able to tweak it?

The explanation suggests nothing other than one needs Cab Lab for download and activation.

I already have Fractool, Fractal-Bot
And Fm9 edit.

I don’t want another app in my workflow.

That is my point.
I'm with you on not wanting to add more steps to my workflow, so I haven't bought any so far. TBH I'm also not sure I'll be able to do as well at mixing them as Fractal and York and others, so for now I'll let them handle it.

But I do like the flexibility DynaCabs give us in the box, so I might jump in at some point, we'll see.

But honestly, I think your anger at FAS because you didn't understand the product you bought is misplaced.

I'm with you on not wanting to add more steps to my workflow, so I haven't bought any so far. TBH I'm also not sure I'll be able to do as well at mixing them as Fractal and York and others, so for now I'll let them handle it.

But I do like the flexibility DynaCabs give us in the box, so I might jump in at some point, we'll see.
I mean, don’t need to mix 2 things.

You can’t even use them in fm9/axe fx3 whatever, without using Cablab.

I just wanted to use the Friedman Gb with a Md421 and move the mic. That’s why I bought it.

I can do it with the factory friedman and the limited (and to me not very useful) choices of mics, but I can’t do it with an extra package that FAS themselves releases.

demotivating to say the least.

But honestly, I think your anger at FAS because you didn't understand the product you bought is misplaced.

I didn’t understand? Or is it so vaguely explained? Read this page, that I did before purchasing: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/dynacab-pack-4x12-freed-man/

And again, it’s called DynaCab pack, I got my fm9 on Friday. Just started diving into dynacabs, love them. Get an email saying more DynaCabs are now available…

It’s a given, if they were to release a Cygnus Amp Pack extra you wouldn’t expect to be running it through a Amp Lab to be able to adjust the drive knob on the amp. And if they expect you to, they better write it there before anything else.

I love fractal. Had every single product they released at some point since 2011. But this is not cool.

It has been discussed on the board that the cab packs cannot be imported into the devices themselves, but must be used with the CabLab4. A great deal of time and work went into the free software, and the results are mixable into UltraRes IRs that can be imported into the unit. There are instructions available on how to use the software with your unit in order to easily do any mic position adjustments and/or settings adjustments in the various other parameters such as low and high pass filtering, etc.

The 'teaser' DynaCabs included with the firmware are only capable of adjusting mic position along one line from center to edge. The much larger DynaCab packs give you the entire surface of the speaker - from center to edge along any radius line on the surface of the speaker, but, sadly, are far beyond the hardware's capability for storing on the unit itself.

You mention wanting to take the Cab Pack to your gig. Do you plan to take time, between songs (or even between sets), to adjust mic positioning on your Cab block? Just trying to understand your use-case, and why you are upset. You can easily set up a handful of different mixes from the pack, and import those, and switch between them easily via the user cabs section, and you'll still have all the cab block adjustments (low/high pass, preamp, tone, phase alignment, etc.) to poke at if your sound needs adjusting.

At most, if it were my gig, I'd tweak an output EQ and call it 'good enough' to get through, and maybe take down some notes to take home about what was wrong with my sound at that gig.

It’s a given, if they were to release a Cygnus Amp Pack extra you wouldn’t expect to be running it through a Amp Lab to be able to adjust the drive knob on the amp. And if they expect you to, they better write it there before anything else.

Ah, but that's apples and oranges. Nobody out there is releasing 3rd party Cygnus Amp Packs, nor is Fractal doing so. There's tons of precedent for both Fractal and others with cab packs that can be imported into the devices. The devices were set up with a decent amount of space for storing new things that were not yet conceived as of the point of designing the hardware. These new DynaCab packs simply won't fit. If you look at the size of the file you get when you download the thing, it's IMMENSE, as it contains probably thousands of IR shots to support each mic (of which there is a VASTLY IMPROVED selection in the pack vs. the hardware teaser DynaCabs). The new cab packs are like filet mignon vs. the firmware teaser's Freddy's steakburger. And - before DynaCabs came to Fractal - all we had was McD's, Burger King, In & Out, and Whataburger.

I feel bad for you that you're not as happy with these as most folks seem to be....

Last edited:
I’m not angry at Fractal over it, but you can count me as another who didn’t buy these because I’d like to have them in the hardware.

It is indeed confusing. When I first saw these new “DynaCab” releases, I immediately associated that with the DynaCabs in the hardware, because that’s the only place the name existed before. I think any reasonably intelligent person would assume the same. It took me a bunch of reading and searching to understand how they are meant to be used and to confirm that you can’t load them on the hardware except as individual, exported IRs.

Maybe I'm an anal techie, but the first thing I did when I saw the new CabLab and DynaCab packs to go with it, was try to understand how the whole system and workflow was going to work.

New Paradigm = Don't Assume I Know Squat Until I Do

I was disappointed when I verified that we can't adjust the CabLab DynaCabs in the box, but so be it, fussing won't change that. Fractal is juggling a bunch of different constraints here, and I trust Cliff to optimize well.

Maybe someday I'll decide to explore the fruits of that extra step. But for now, there's so much other exploring to do that doesn't need it, I'm good.

The DynaCabs product page linked above says:

DynaCab™ technology transforms the experience of finding your tone. Instead of cycling through countless IRs, the visual, intuitive Cab-Lab 4 interface allows you to select your desired speaker cab and mic, then easily adjust the position and distance until you achieve your desired tone.

And also:

• DynaCab Packs require Cab-Lab 4, our free IR mixer and tools application/plugin.
  • Cab-Lab 4 can connect directly to Axe-Fx III, FM9, and FM3, and can export files for Axe-Fx II and AX8.
  • Cab-Lab 4 allows "Software Live Mode" monitoring via any compatible audio interface.

It is indeed confusing. When I first saw these new “DynaCab” releases, I immediately associated that with the DynaCabs in the hardware, because that’s the only place the name existed before. I think any reasonably intelligent person would assume the same. It took me a bunch of reading and searching to understand how they are meant to be used and to confirm that you can’t load them on the hardware except as individual, exported IRs.

This.

The DynaCabs product page linked above says:

And also:
The confusion is in using the same name for a computer-only product as an existing technology that, until recently, was on-board the hardware. I think it's natural to expect that "DynaCab packages" are something you can add to your hardware, where all the rest of the DynaCabs were.

Maybe they should've given it a different name -- e.g. "DynaCab Native" or something. When I first saw new DynaCabs were available, I was interested and ready to purchase. After I spent 30 minutes confirming that they can't be installed on the hardware like the existing DynaCabs, I lost interest. I already have a gazillion PC-based IR plugins & mixing packages, and 20 gazillion 3rd party IRs.

I’m not angry at Fractal over it, but you can count me as another who didn’t buy these because I’d like to have them in the hardware.

On the one hand, I'm impressed that FAS found a way to deliver new DynaCabs without changing anything in the Axe-FX firmware. On the other hand, I'm kinda disappointed they didn't change anything in the Axe-FX firmware to make the workflow smoother.

It's a bit of the same old shortcoming of IR's in the way every IR you might ever use is expected to be in the hardware, where it's a pain to manage. Ideally, your DynaCab library would be stored on your computer where it's easy to manage and where there's no limit on how many DynaCabs you can have, and they would be automatically loaded into the hardware as needed, either when selecting from a DynaCab browser or when importing a preset. That way the limited storage in the hardware could be efficiently used instead of holding your entire library, thus allowing you to easily expand your library of DynaCabs.

To be fair, I don't think any modelers have figured out how to do this yet, but the first one that does will have an advantage.

Back
Top Bottom