Dynacab Pack Purchasers - Looking for Feedback

Not much self control towards not collecting them, but so far they seem like a much better investment than the larger IR collections I've purchased and that I see many others have. I was dubious on the price up front, but they seem quite reasonable now that I understand the concept a bit better.

I have a ton of IR's before because I'm coming from a Helix and the Dyna-Cabs weren't out. I took a chance and purchased the first one. Then another and then another and I must admit that I like them better than my others and now I don't have to go though tons of IR's to get the sound I want. There are a couple that I wish were available but I'm sure eventually they will become available too.

Very good. I have been enjoying using custom mixes I created with them. Worth the purchase price for sure. I will enjoy them even more once I figure out what I'm doing wrong to use Live Audition mode, for now using Hardware mode and hitting 'send' every time I move the mic position to update what I'm hearing and nonetheless I'm still enjoying it lol. Very easy to get great usable tones from.
The microphone selections are awesome and the 360 mic placement helps find nice sweet spots.
I bought 5 packs and glad I bought all of them.

Last edited:
I bought the 1960s and love 'em. It's easy to get great tones out of them and also a lot of very diverse tones using the mic selections and the 360 degree placement. Definitely worth the price.

I bought a pack, the TV cab. Disclaimer my usb is screwed up which makes using cab lab enough of a pain that I gave up on it. I managed to mix some Ultrares IR’s though. They’re ok. I’m still using my regulars because they sound better to me. If my usb didn’t constantly drop out I am confident I could have come up with IR’s I could use. Much more variety on mics and placement. The 360 degrees does make a difference.

Still waiting for most of my faves to be released. The 2x10 Super cab is already pretty fab in the on-unit DynaCabs. Can't wait for the full monty in CabLab4. There's a few others of the 'usual suspects' I'm waiting on as well...

But how do you know? Some of those new mics are really cool.
I just love Greenback Cabs and if I could only have one cab, it would be a Greenback Marshall cab.
As Leon Todd shows in most of his videos, you can use a Greenback cab for nearly everything.

The 1960 TV Dyna Cab is just awesome and together with Cab Lab, it’s a real game changer!

But how do you know? Some of those new mics are really cool.
Because I know how it works from other products (mostly plugins) with similar functionality, as well as from micing real cabs.

360 degree speaker cone area just opens up more "now I need to figure out if this or that side sounds better" complication I don't really need. More mics is neat but I feel Fractal has picked a good selection for the mics already available in the Axe-Fx 3.

I'd probably be more interested if e.g room mics for Fullres IRs were a feature, but I think Cliff has said Fractal wasn't allowed to capture the studio space where these were recorded.

If exporting IRs for other devices was a feature, that would be a big selling point because the DynaCabs sound great so I'd love to use them easily in other products.

I bought the Freed Man pack but I kind of regret that purchase. I dont really use it much because every time I think yeah that sounds cool and then go try my favorite YA IRs they sound just a lot better to me and then I think "yeah and that cost me $50". I will try the YA DynaCab pack once that drops and only if it is a cab that I like. Maybe I am just bad at using cab lab but who knows.

I bought the Freed Man pack but I kind of regret that purchase. I dont really use it much because every time I think yeah that sounds cool and then go try my favorite YA IRs they sound just a lot better to me and then I think "yeah and that cost me $50". I will try the YA DynaCab pack once that drops and only if it is a cab that I like. Maybe I am just bad at using cab lab but who knows.
Yeah, I‘m a big fan of Justin York‘s IR‘s and I have used them exclusively.
But when I changed completely to Dyna Cabs I could Immediately dial in a similar tone, or a tone that I do like even more.
But yeah, also yesterday I compared the 1960 Dyna Cab pack with Justin‘s Greenback Cab and the KW25 cab pack. I love those IR‘s but it’s much easier for me to dial in my own sound.

I do also own the York Audio Fdman cab pack, it’s a great cab but I could never get rid of some kind of sizzle that I got from the IR‘s, now with the Dyna Cab, it’s much easier to dial out frequencies that you don’t like.

Thought about getting the 1960 TV pack as well, but it lacks some microphones I really like e.g. the e906 and the 421, and I have a fear of wasting another 30$ if I don't like it.

I'm dumb and thought the purchased cab packs were the same as the stock dyna cabs that came with the firmware update just different moels or whatever but you guys are saying it's a totally different interface? (the cab lab interface?) and has different/better microphones and mic'ing abilities? people implied you only use one mic/speaker/cab with it? i see 4 faders in that screenshot, can you not use 4 per amp like you can with the ones that came with the firmware update? as I am used to using 4 cab speakers/mic's per amp and 2 amps per preset so like 8 speakers/mics/cab's per preset scene (and sometimes more than that per preset with different scenes, some are mic'd close and others have different space between the different mic's so i get immediacy on the cab grill and room sound with far away mic's, etc.) trying to figure out if it would be worth it to me to get a purchased one, like what it would add to what i already do?

I'm dumb and thought the purchased cab packs were the same as the stock dyna cabs that came with the firmware update just different moels or whatever but you guys are saying it's a totally different interface? (the cab lab interface?) and has different/better microphones and mic'ing abilities? people implied you only use one mic/speaker/cab with it? i see 4 faders in that screenshot, can you not use 4 per amp like you can with the ones that came with the firmware update? as I am used to using 4 cab speakers/mic's per amp and 2 amps per preset so like 8 speakers/mics/cab's per preset scene (and sometimes more than that per preset with different scenes, some are mic'd close and others have different space between the different mic's so i get immediacy on the cab grill and room sound with far away mic's, etc.) trying to figure out if it would be worth it to me to get a purchased one, like what it would add to what i already do?
The DynaCabs in AxeEdit are meant to be used in place. The slots in CabLab are there for using more elaborate DynaCab packs to generate IRs representing a mix.

So, if you are running stereo, you might mixdown two IRs, and use them, not in the DynaCab slots, but in the regular cab slots.

Otherwise, you mix to your hearts content in CabLab down to IRs which can be further mixed in CabLab.

I will say that the extra mics and placement surprised me - I’ve found tones I couldn’t get out of the stock. I will buy more packs but the only one I wanted so far is the Vox. Waiting on a Matchless and 59 Bassman. 🙂
This. I would love to have a Marshall V30 cab pack like the York Audio one.

It's been pretty clear since 1st release that there are 4 slots - I have not seen anyone stating 1 mic/cab only. + it's free software, so anyone can take a peek.

I did grab CabLab thinking it could do something with the free DynaCabs I already had from the firmware but then it appeared they are only for purchased dyna cab packs so i can't actually do anything with it, correct?

I did grab CabLab thinking it could do something with the free DynaCabs I already had from the firmware but then it appeared they are only for purchased dyna cab packs so i can't actually do anything with it, correct?
Right, far as working with DynaCabs goes but it can mix any non-Dyna IRs too.

Back
Top Bottom