Dyna Cabs...why don't I get it?

I haven't been able to delve much into DC but I have to say that I like them a lot, I see more options than the traditional IR and this is just the tip of the iceberg.I also notice my tones cleaner and more authentic.

I don't think it's a problem not to like the current DC offerings, but that shouldn't be projected on the actual DC interface/GUI/technology used.
fact is that certain cabs/speakers/mics were used in the making and these may just not be to everyone's taste. maybe FAS's choice and taste in certain speakers just doesn't match that what someone else may be looking for in a certain cab/speaker (which has been the case for me many times when it comes to FAS produced IRs. be it factory or offered cab packs).

listen to four different V30s and you'll get four different sounds and most likely four different opinions on which sounds best. pretty sure if Ownhammer or York offered DC versions of their most popular libraries, everyone would be very happy.

it really all comes down to taste and of course "blinded" by the hype it leads some people to believe that the available DC speaker options must be the end to all tone chasing but that's simply not the reality...

I would like to update my position on Dyna Cab. Influenced by the discussion in this thread, I took a deeper dive into the Dyna Cab this week. Over the last few days, spending a few hours on it, I managed to set up very good sounds. I agree that Dyna Cabs are great. You can set literally everything on them, even better than on the previous "Legacy IR". Before, I missed the midrange, the bass. The sounds seemed to me a bit thin flat, as if they were missing something. If you dig into the subject a bit, you can change it. You lack midrange or bass, add it in the preamplifier, if you still don't have enough, change the cab, the microphone and the result will be sufficient. In some presets I was able to set the Dyna Cab better than the previous "Legacy IR", You just need to spend a lot of time setting the sound on a trial and error basis. Perhaps my ears have become accustomed to the new kind of sound. I think everyone learns it over time. It's worth spending some time on it because the results are amazing :)

"In my opinion, for DC the lead sounds are "thin", the bass is missing(?) - but the dynamics are very good, the clarity is also very correct."

I had the same feeling at first, but it is easy to push the IR to the direction you like with the EQ in the preamp of the cab block.

Last edited:
I empathize with your Dyna Cabs struggle. My tips based on my experience:

Give them more time. They require experimentation to find what works best for you.

Try varying mic placement, cab choices, and room simulation. These can greatly impact the overall tone.

Dyna Cabs may have a lower output level than regular IRs, so adjust your levels accordingly.

Seek out tutorials or user guides on Fractal Audio forums or YouTube for extra tips.

Remember, it's possible Dyna Cabs may not suit your personal preferences. If they still don't work after further exploration, it's perfectly okay to stick with what you prefer.

So I'm A-B testing all my bands presets with the traditional IRs I previously settled on against a new DynaCab creation. I haven't tried them live with the band yet, but testing in the room and by replacing previously recorded materials IR with my new DynaCabs, the results are quite impressive. I'm getting a better, more easily tweaked for the qualities I'm looking for sound in a fraction of the time it took me to select a traditional IR. I also find I'm doing a lot less "settling" during the IR selection process. Previously there was a lot of this happening, "Well, I guess this doesn't absolutely mangle the sound I'm after, I'll stick with this one, EQ the crap out of it with the cab block cuts, tone controls, and a PEQ block, then go tweak my amp block again to try and compensate for the shortcomings I'm left with in the cab block, and never touch it again because that was WAY too much work and I don't want to wreck my setlist!" That process took hours spread out over long periods of time.
Now, it works just like it would in the "real world". I select a cab based on the general vibe I'm after or use case, "Hey man, go grab that Mesa over there, its in the corner behind the Fender next to the Marshall, thanks."
Then I put some mics on the cab and adjust their placement to get the sound I want.
I might touch the preamp eq, but so far haven't found the need.
Done, whole thing took maybe 5 minutes (gotta set up a loop, listen for a second etc.), and the results are more to my liking as well!

For me, I think DynaCabs is solving the biggest workflow and sonic issue I've had with the platform. I'm a happy camper, please just don't give us 1000 DynaCabs to sift through, there's no need and defeats one of its huge points of existence, ease of use.

Didn’t do the update on my fm3 as it’s beta and that I’m on tour, but as I understand it, dyna cabs is like real time browsing through thousands of ir.
If you don’t like the way the cabs have been miced you will not like the present dynacabs.

Maybe this will change with dynacabs opened to other vendors.

Looks like AXE-FX III users, including me, were overhyped? Haven't seen such a discussion on the AXE-FX III forum.
Why should there be a discussion? Dynacabs works perfectly and sound awesome. I won't use anything other than Dynacabs from now on.
Not because it sounds that better, but I find my sound within seconds instead of scrolling through a list of hieroglyphics 🙂.
It's like the old days. Place the speakers and adjust the microphones, done.

Why should there be a discussion? Dynacabs works perfectly and sound awesome. I won't use anything other than Dynacabs from now on.
Not because it sounds that better, but I find my sound within seconds instead of scrolling through a list of hieroglyphics 🙂.
It's like the old days. Place the speakers and adjust the microphones, done.
I hope I'll get to where I feel that way :)

Update from this pilgrim, and my adventures with Dyna-Cabs. The magic to getting what you want out of DC may involve trying different preamps and/or EQ settings from the preamp page in the CAB block. I was able to get much improved results via DC compared to the (3rd party) legacy IRs I'm currently using. To the point that I could replicate what the legacy IRs were doing, and perhaps get them to sound even better. At least to me. Which is certainly a breakthrough moment for me.

I'm still doing my initial high & low cuts on the Cab page of the CAB block for now. Has anyone had any luck using the hi & low cut settings on the preamp page (filter section)? I felt like I was getting more immediate results using the Cab page. Curious to know what others have found.

I never could get on with ir's until I made my own. Now with Dyna-cab I can get a better sound than mine and all the others. You just have to get the right speaker and mic and the placement to where it sounds like what you want.

Sometimes with IR's I just want 5 killer ones that I don't need to touch and I would prefer that to hiding them in a pile of 5000.
Don't get me wrong we have way more than that now but I'm certain I am missing out on some I just haven't tried (or even seen yet.)

I came to this one that is not fizzy. For hi-gain leads and rhythm. Cuts through the mix like a cake
View attachment 124582
View attachment 124583

You can download the preset here (Change the CAB to channel B)

Thats cool and I probably missed a thread but it would be great if maybe we could have a thread under cabs/ ir that is just called User Dynas that could have all the screen shots of the various settings in there , for the guys that are not super comfortable with mic placement etc , then they could at least test things out for themselves with minimal tweaking

Back
Top Bottom