Dyna-cab, general consensus is that they're "better" than legacy?

I'd say it doesn't need to be movable in the same way. Just being able to blend it in.
...ideally, with a separate send for each individual Mic/Cab, so you could have more room on a more distant mic, and less on the closer one.

This should be trivial to code and not add much to the CPU usage (hint)...!!!

i didn't like dynacabs at first. I'd been accustomed to just scrolling through legacy cabs until I hit one that fit. I think part of it is that the default mic placement with DCs doesn't tend to be the sound I'm looking for.

What I've found since digging into the dynacabs more is that the "last 5%" that is often so elusive when dialing in tones, is very often a matter of adjusting the mic placement. At least to me. I find the DC that has the overall character and sound qualities I want, and then move the mic until it's perfect. I've just adapted to the fact that I shouldn't judge the DC based on what it sounds like when I first pull it up. There is no default mic position that's going to work for everyone.

i didn't like dynacabs at first. I'd been accustomed to just scrolling through legacy cabs until I hit one that fit. I think part of it is that the default mic placement with DCs doesn't tend to be the sound I'm looking for.

What I've found since digging into the dynacabs more is that the "last 5%" that is often so elusive when dialing in tones, is very often a matter of adjusting the mic placement. At least to me. I find the DC that has the overall character and sound qualities I want, and then move the mic until it's perfect. I've just adapted to the fact that I shouldn't judge the DC based on what it sounds like when I first pull it up. There is no default mic position that's going to work for everyone.
+1 - to start, I I feel I really need to shove that dot around agressively on one single mic in mono with no fx running to get a base sound - then add in a 2ndary mic, then room / hi-low cut / air ..., then make stereo if I need that.

I'd like to see a graphic EQ style display with the nodes of the IR on it. I know there are thousands, but it would be interesting to have access to the resonances and curve directly.

So I updated my fm3 yesterday and gave a try to the dynacabs.

Honestly, really convincing for my taste. It's easy to tweak, dynacabs are really clear and alive. And yes for some it's on the bright side but as always the tone we want can be achieved in many different ways.

So made a 1959Slp press form scratch with the tweaks I like. I've tweaked a single 1960 TV (Ribbon), just added some preamp to it (FET II) and that's it.
To me it sounds really convincing. don't even need reverb anymore.

Here's a short sample, yes it can be perfected but making this preset took me about 15 minutes.
Guitar is the my old warmoth mahogany telecaster, Dimarzio DP411 neck and JB bridge (think I'm gonna try a less hotter pickup though)

Last edited:
So I updated my fm3 yesterday and gave a try to the dynacabs.

Honestly, really convincing for my taste. It's easy to tweak, dynacabs are really clear and alive. And yes for some it's on the bright side but as always the tone we want can be achieved in many different ways.

So made a 1959Slp press form scratch with the tweaks I like. I've tweaked a single 1960 TV (Ribbon), just added some preamp to it (FET II) and that's it.
To me it sounds really convincing. don't even need reverb anymore.

Here's a short sample, yes it can be perfected but making this preset took me about 15 minutes.
Guitar is the my old warmoth mahogany telecaster, Dimarzio DP411 neck and JB bridge (think I'm gonna try a less hotter pickup though)

Sounds great!

I have 3-4 legacy IR's that I just can't beat with the Dyna Cabs. I try but I've not gotten the DynaCabs to work with my particular sounds.

Isn't it just as simple as that the Dyna Cabs are unengineered (/ uneq-ed / raw) captures, where as most other IR's are engineered before release?
With the exception of any factory IR containing the word "MIX", or a small number of the 3rd party IRs, the factory cabs are raw, single mic IRs. Most of the mixes are 2-3 single mic IRs blended together.

With DynaCabs, you get all of the same great tones, but instead of having five positions "A through E" or whatever, you have a continuous spectrum. Too bright? Move it! Too dark? Move it!

I could put up sound clips between single-shot IRs and DynaCab Ics and no one would be able to tell the difference sonically (or even by deeply analyzing the IR data.) The difference is that DynaCabs are EASIER to adjust.

There's innovation in our DynaCab feature too. What seems simple on the surface was actually the result of a LOT of work.

Last edited:
I think that's kinda the point some folks are making. So instead of baking the mic'd cab sound yourself, you rely on 3rd party IR makers who do all the hard work for you.
The only thing is every mix is unique, so if one sweats the details in this regard, being able to precisely dial in the tone for the mix at hand with mic selection and placement vs EQ alone typically gives a better result, just as it has since guitar cab mic'ing became a thing back in the day.

That said, DC's are still missing a lot of the typical cab/speaker/mic options at this point in time, so the only way to get those is via legacy.

I think that's kinda the point some folks are making. So instead of baking the mic'd cab sound yourself, you rely on 3rd party IR makers who do all the hard work for you.
I agree, and relying on an IR that was likely made using someone else's guitar, playing technique, and taste is still pretty hit or miss, in my opinion, at least for me.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, if you're having trouble getting the sound you want with the DynaCabs, there's a good chance you'd have trouble getting it with a real mic.
I had. But playing with a combination with mic distance, mic placement, pushing the preamp in the cab block and speaker drive/compression in the amp block really did the trick for me. Especially the preamp and speaker drive/compression gives the sound something extra.

For the last week, I've gone back to, in some instances, using Legend IR's (Factory, YA, OH) on some of my Presets. I am now learning to use them both to reach whatever I am going after. Whatever works I guess. Dynacab is still a really cool addition to Fractal.

Taking a Marshall type amp with a "legacy" IR mic'd with a single 57 has not let me down live yet. Low cut at 100ish, maybe 120. That's all.
Maybe for recording one might need a 121 but I've never needed more low end than what a 57 and some proximity could do. YMMV.
In a live environment, I have never been able to tell a difference between a 57 IR or a 57+121 IR.
For reference I play hard rock, classic rock, 80's hair, glam, 90's and 2000's alternative, some country and current radio pop in a 3 piece w/singer (4 total).

I don’t think one is necessarily better than the other. Just different options. Dyna is more intuitive to me, but I have some legacy IRs I like as well.

Consensus? Google some of the crazy things that MOST people believe in and you will have a new "appreciation" of consensus.

For me, Dynacab mode is a great feature and I hope they build it out with more mics, off axis angle ,user dynacabs and whatever else they dream up.

Back
Top Bottom