Dyna-cab, general consensus is that they're "better" than legacy?

how can you judge quality / accuracy of the group’d thought ? what are the conditions ?
I think you can like what you like and it doesn’t mean you have more or less accurate / quality thought.. is just your thought, that’s it.
We're getting light years from the initial point I made - do we have an objective / rigorous way to compare outputs of the DC IR creation process with other IR creation processes in an effort to see if the IR processes themselves have some sort of overall effect (ie DCs generally lack bass response ... )? - imo: No - not that I can see / I don't underatand how that could be determined - we don't even have definite info on what the DC mics are exactly or what the exact speaker models are on most of the DC selections - I expect this will be revealed further at some point - maybe with Cablab4.

I also wonder, when peeps try to make such comparisons, are they considering how the SIC values are set on the speaker page as differences there could have a big impact.

Last edited:
We're getting light years from the initial point - do we have an objective / rigorous way to compare outputs of the DC IR creation process with other IR creation processes? - imo: No - we don't even have definite info on what the DC mics are exactly or what the exact speaker models are on most of the DC selections - I expect this will be revealed further at some point - maybe with Cablab4.

I also wonder, when peeps try to make such comparisons, are they considering how the SIC values are set on the speaker page as differences there could have a big impact.
But🤷

I don’t get it. You have the dyna and the irs at home, why do you want more infos? You just have to choose what you prefer with your ears and tweaks 🤷, who cares of the process? You have these in the box, you choose what you like the most 🤷

But🤷

I don’t get it. You have the dyna and the irs at home, why do you want more infos? You just have to choose what you prefer with your ears and tweaks 🤷, who cares of the process? You have these in the box, you choose what you like the most 🤷
I totally agree - there's nothing wrong with using what one likes regardless - I think the point I've tried to make is misunderstood and/or is belng misinterpreted. I can't think of any other way to articulate it than what I've already expressed so no worries / carry on.

Last edited:
I end up using both. What I'll do is use a dynacab to find a placement I like, run parametric EQs after it, sometimes all 4. Then when I get a desired sound I'll run a pink noise synth block in front of the cab and use a tonematch block to capture the new EQ curve. Afterwards I'll load it up as a legacy cab and possibly adjust EQ even further repeating the same process or am happy with the way it is. They do not sound different at all to my ears. Sure the Ultrares may retain more information, but it's not enough for me to notice.

My method saves CPU power for other effects since dynacabs are more demanding and it frees up 4 potential EQ blocks to be utilized elsewhere.

The only downside is that you can't move the mic afterwards, but it's easy enough to recreate. Especially with a listed EQ block library saved. Such as Patchname_Cab_EQ_1, etc.

I've entirely switched over from OwnHammer IR:s (I used them exclusively sinceI liked them most) to DynaCabs. They just sound much better to me and doesn't need any or very little EQ. Sits in my mixes very well to my taste.

I've entirely switched over from OwnHammer IR:s (I used them exclusively sinceI liked them most) to DynaCabs. They just sound much better to me and doesn't need any or very little EQ. Sits in my mixes very well to my taste.
If you have a vanilla-ish DynaCab preset you'd be willing to share, I'd love to check it out.

(Yes I know songs, guitars, players, playback system, room, phase of the moon, etc are all different.)

Sorry, I just meant something kind of normal, not a weird fuzz thing that's cool because it's weird for instance.
Hehe, ok, I get it.

Well, I have a few parameters I use as a starting point for all my presets that works for my guitars and audio setup. Then I tweak it depending on what it sounds like. But I always start with:

Amp Block
  • Speaker page (smooths out the high end a bit)
    • Speaker Drive: 5
    • Speaker Compression: 5
  • Output EQ
    • EQ to taste to fit the mix. Usually just a few notches of db in the low mid. With Mesa Mark amps it's more drastic but set accordingly to my guitar and mix.
Cab Block
I use two channels in the cab block to give me a right and left side when recording. I record these separately. Mic setup wise I usually use the same combinations for the two channels but then I alter the character of the sound slightly by using different preamps so I get some more separation other than my playing.
  • Dynamic 1 (sometimes Dynamic 2 but 80-90% of the time it's Dynamic 1)
    • Mic placement between 2-4
  • Ribbon or Condenser
    • Mic placement between 4-6
    • -5 db
    • Distance around 0-15 cm depending on boominess
  • Preamp
    • Drive 5-9 (depending on type of preamp; I usually use Tube, Vintage, Modern and Transformer. I push it so it's just a few db until the meter turns red)
    • Saturation: 0-2
  • Align
    • Ribbon/Condenser
      • Offset by 10-15 mm (smooths out the high end a bit)
  • Room
    • 15%
Here's two snippets from demo songs I'm working on for a new album. One heavy riff song and one more pop oriented.
All tones are from the AXE FX III exclusively and these are the guitar being used:
  • Solar Guitars AB1.6 with DiMarzio CrunchLab in the bridge
    • Main rhythm is Mark IIC+ with Treble Shift on.
      • Mesa Slanted V30
    • Additional layering guitars on choruses are Rectifier 2CH with power settings to imitate Spongy feel (Sag 7 and Variac at 75%)
      • Mesa Slanted V30.
  • Solar Guitars A1.6 with DiMarzio D'Activator in the bridge
    • The solo on BoRosa Red is also Mark IIC+ with Treble Shift off and the Cry Baby Wah with a custom EQ-setting.
      • Mesa Slanted V30
  • Fender American Strat with Texas Specials (although with some fret buzz....).
    • The middle chordal arpeggiated guitar on BoRosa Red chorus and the intro solo to verse 2 is a VOX AC 30 with different settings to work as a rhythm and solo.
      • AC20 cab
  • Fender Player Jazz Bass with stock pickups
    • DI for clean
    • DI + Darkglass B7K in parallel for a bit more grit on choruses.
All using above settings in Amp and Cab Block except the bass preset has no Cab.

The DynaCabs 'effin rocks!

Last edited:
Hehe, ok, I get it.

Well, I have a few parameters I use as a starting point for all my presets that works for my guitars and audio setup. Then I tweak it depending on what it sounds like. But I always start with:

Amp Block
  • Speaker page (smooths out the high end a bit)
    • Speaker Drive: 5
    • Speaker Compression: 5
  • Output EQ
    • EQ to taste to fit the mix. Usually just a few notches of db in the low mid. With Mesa Mark amps it's more drastic but set accordingly to my guitar and mix.
Cab Block
I use two channels in the cab block to give me a right and left side when recording. I record these separately. Mic setup wise I usually use the same combinations for the two channels but then I alter the character of the sound slightly by using different preamps so I get some more separation other than my playing.
  • Dynamic 1 (sometimes Dynamic 2 but 80-90% of the time it's Dynamic 1)
    • Mic placement between 2-4
  • Ribbon or Condenser
    • Mic placement between 4-6
    • -5 db
    • Distance around 0-15 cm depending on boominess
  • Preamp
    • Drive 5-9 (depending on type of preamp; I usually use Tube, Vintage, Modern and Transformer)
    • Saturation: 0-2
  • Align
    • Ribbon/Condenser
      • Offset by 10-15 mm (smooths out the high end a bit)
  • Room
    • 15%
Here's two snippets from demo songs I'm working on for a new album. One heavy riff song and one more pop oriented.
All tones are from the AXE FX III exclusively and these are the guitar being used:
  • Solar Guitars AB1.6 with DiMarzio CrunchLab in the bridge
    • Main rhythm is Mark IIC+ with Treble Shift on.
      • Mesa Slanted V30
    • Additional layering guitars on choruses are Rectifier 2CH with power settings to imitate Spongy feel (Sag 7 and Variac at 75%)
      • Mesa Slanted V30.
  • Solar Guitars A1.6 with DiMarzio D'Activator in the bridge
    • The solo on BoRosa Red is also Mark IIC+ with Treble Shift off.
      • Mesa Slanted V30
  • Fender American Strat with Texas Specials (although with some fret buzz....).
    • The middle chordal arpeggiated guitar on BoRosa Red chorus and the intro solo to verse 2 is a VOX AC 30 with different settings to work as a rhythm and solo.
      • AC20 cab
  • Fender Player Jazz Bass with stock pickups
    • DI for clean
    • DI + Darkglass B7K in parallel for a bit more grit on choruses.
All using above settings in Amp and Cab Block.

The DynaCabs 'effin rocks!

Great info and demos!
thanks a lot for sharing

I haven't had a chance to really mess around with the dyna cabs yet but then I'm also already very content with a good stable of IR's. It's a nice feature and more options are always welcomed but honestly, I think I work best when I focus on what I already like and use, otherwise I just get side tracked and distracted with the endless searching. When I first got the AXE III I was overwhelmed but eventually settled in on roughly 16 killer sounding amp models (crunch to high gain stuff) and a dozen cabs/IR's that all seem to work well together in various combo's, that's more than enough to hold me for years to come and I no longer spend hours on end scrolling, tweaking, etc. I do get why some love digging in deep though, it's addictive actually...which is why I find a few things that speak to me and then stay focused on making music (cursed with a short attention span lol)

I'm sure I'll get curious someday and examine the DC's closer or more likely, I'll just end up hearing a great sample of one somewhere and it'll convince me I need it lol.

If cab lab 4 comes out with dyna-cab style UltraRes length that can be exported to an IR I'm going to be so stoked. (Overloud SuperCabinet supports 185ms for example).

I LOVE the current dyna-cabs for mid-gain amps (Matchless and other AC 30 style amps) but tend go for ultrares on more distorted amps.

i've achieved 212 "nirvana" with the Dyna-cab (vs. small spkr IR's), with the DC blk my "go to".
However i'm still working on finding the right combination for 412's (vs my 3rd party IR's).
the quest - and fun - continues!

To me dynacabs aren’t « better », they sound different. They are more bright and trebly globally. I still use the legacy irs more than dynacabs. For metal music, I prefer the legacy ones, they sound bigger and fuller to me. After a lot of time I’ve found some cool combinations with dynacabs and I like them too now. Sometimes I play with the dyna, sometimes with legacy… yes « different » sound. Depends the song you play. Both are useable
I quote this.
I've done several tests with the DynaCabs, and for the first time in many years, I have the feeling of having a fake sound. I won't beat around the bush: to me, they are horrible, and I still prefer using my personal IRs.
As "My name is mud" used to say, the DynaCabs are brighter and generally lacking in bass.
I personally love clear and bright sounds, but these are "too much" for me.
This is my personal opinion.
I believe there's no "better" or "worse," just what we prefer. And I prefer IRs.

Back
Top Bottom