Dunlop Mini Volume Pedal

BME

I currently only have an Ernie Ball Jnr VP, which doesn't lend itself too well to the AX8 from what I've read, so looking to get a new expression pedal.

Pedalboard space is always an issue, so I've been looking at the Dunlop Mini Volume Pedal, which isn't available until next month here in the UK.

Assuming it's specs etc. are going to similar to the Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X) model (but in a smaller chassis), which has a 10 kΩ pot in expression mode, will the mini version work ok with the AX8?

i just spotted this the other day. can't find any specs on it so i don't know if the expression jack is TS or TRS. would like to know the actual dimensions and weight of it too. manual's not online either. might be best to wait for more info

EDIT: was able to confirm the expression jack is TRS with a polarity switch and minimum value setting. pot is a 10k so yes it should work well.

Last edited:
I got myself a Hotone Soul Press which is a Mini Wah/Volume/Expression all in one and it is fabulous! I get full sweep of the range and it works great! If you're looking for a compact controller, definitely worth a look IMO.

I got myself a Hotone Soul Press which is a Mini Wah/Volume/Expression all in one and it is fabulous! I get full sweep of the range and it works great! If you're looking for a compact controller, definitely worth a look IMO.

Interesting! A lot cheaper than the Dunlop too!

How's the sweep on it? Smooth enough?

Interesting! A lot cheaper than the Dunlop too!

How's the sweep on it? Smooth enough?
I've been using Morley optical, spring loaded wahs (Bad Horsie and Dragon Wah) for about 15 years and recently bought a Plutoneium Chi Wah Wah which is also optical and spring loaded so i had concerns as to how i was going to take to a regular wah and i have to say that the Soul Press feels very smooth and natural to me... I think anyone making the transition from a full size pedal may take a bit of getting used to but I love that it is so compact yet full featured...

I've been using Morley optical, spring loaded wahs (Bad Horsie and Dragon Wah) for about 15 years and recently bought a Plutoneium Chi Wah Wah which is also optical and spring loaded so i had concerns as to how i was going to take to a regular wah and i have to say that the Soul Press feels very smooth and natural to me... I think anyone making the transition from a full size pedal may take a bit of getting used to but I love that it is so compact yet full featured...

Sounds good.

I currently use an AMT wah which is of similar size to the Hotone and it's the best wah I've ever used, despite it's size. The sweep on it is excellent.

Will definitely check the Hotone out :)

Sounds good.

I currently use an AMT wah which is of similar size to the Hotone and it's the best wah I've ever used, despite it's size. The sweep on it is excellent.

Will definitely check the Hotone out :)
I just got the Hotone. It definitely feels a little weird compared to the mission EP-1 i was using but the size and convenience are great. If I can get used to it it I will keep it. Its just to small and light to not use.

FWIW... I use two DVP4 pedals as expression pedals, one for volume and one for wah/formant/whatever else I want to modify. They work great and fit just fine with the AX8 in my Mono Kontroller bag. Also, they don't eat up much real estate on the floor.

FWIW... I use two DVP4 pedals as expression pedals, one for volume and one for wah/formant/whatever else I want to modify. They work great and fit just fine with the AX8 in my Mono Kontroller bag. Also, they don't eat up much real estate on the floor.

Do you need a special cable for t he DVP4? What are the specs on the DVP4?

TRS cable as specified on page 18 of the owner's manual.

I bought two right angle TRS cables from Monoprice (short right angle TRS cables seem to be difficult to locate): a 1.5 ft (for the volume pedal, which connects to EXT1 and is closer to the AX8), and a 3 ft for the wah/whatever pedal, which connects to EXT2 and sits further to the right of the AX8. They seem to be of good quality and very well made.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150901&p_id=9439&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150901&p_id=9440&seq=1&format=2

I own one and it work well. Mine developed a squeak in very short order, so I need to lube it. For now it's delegated to my least important parameter (not wah or vol)

Just grabbed the DVP3 (X) as I just got my AX8 today and have a gig tomorrow. Only expression/volume GC had in stock.

Anyway, for volume functionality n do I just use a standard patch cable into the "Output" spot on the pedal and then into one of the loops?

Not really sure how to hook this up for volume OR expression/parameters

Just grabbed the DVP3 (X) as I just got my AX8 today and have a gig tomorrow. Only expression/volume GC had in stock.
Anyway, for volume functionality n do I just use a standard patch cable into the "Output" spot on the pedal and then into one of the loops?
Not really sure how to hook this up for volume OR expression/parameters

You need a TRS (stereo) cable to connect an expression pedal.

For a start you may use the global volume functionality of the AX8:

Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 08.34.07.png

For more options check chapter 8 Modifiers.

You need a TRS (stereo) cable to connect an expression pedal.

For a start you may use the global volume functionality of the AX8:

View attachment 36957

For more options check chapter 8 Modifiers.
Used the pedal at NYE service and it worked great. Only thing I noticed was using the Volume block after the amp block but BEFORE the cab block seemed a little "scratchy" and not smooth when doing swells with distorted tones. Do I need the volume block before the amp too?

Back
Top Bottom