Dune: Part Two

I think I’ve missed the boat, having not read the books.

Never too late to read them. I read them at least twice but that was over 40 years ago. I’m reading these posts and I can’t remember much. I saw the movie they did a long time ago and wasn’t impressed with that.

Last night I watched Lynch's Dune. It's been awhile. Trippy. One word: Pugs. They are everywhere in this movie. Spice.....will give you the zoomies.

I'm disappointed she's not in it because I wanted the scene that inspired the Fremen to name her "Saint Alia Of The Knife".
I heard that Alia will most likely feature more in the next film...
IMO the changes made vis-à-vis Alia allowed for a stronger second film and will make for a much stronger third.
I heard this as well...a good payoff in the third. Villeneuve has confirmed he's currently adapting Dune Messiah but i think we'll have to wait a while. I'd say it's a foregone conclusion to say it's gonna be green lit since Dune Part 2 is doing very well at the box office.

I heard this as well...a good payoff in the third. Villeneuve has confirmed he's currently adapting Dune Messiah but i think we'll have to wait a while. I'd say it's a foregone conclusion to say it's gonna be green lit since Dune Part 2 is doing very well at the box office.
He's making another Sfi Fi classic next I believe, Rendezous With Rama. Would not surprise me if Ring World was after that.

My problem though is while I loved Dune, I hated the sequels, but that may mean I'll like his version of Messiah a lot more than the book.

I saw this last night and am very disappointed.

Unfortunately my critiques would be very spoiler heavy.

The first half was good but I found the second half way too divergent from the source.

I found myself appreciating the Lynch movie and SyFy series more when exiting the theater. It's a pretty version though and I think it deserves Oscars for cinematography, fx, and sound. Those parts of the movie were really impressive.

I will be relieved once the movie comes and goes from the only theater in my area (single screen)! The reason being, I have been seeing the trailer for what seems like 18 months now EVERY time I go see a movie and I am quite sick of the trailer. Never read the books, but I did see the Lynch version and Part 1 of this current series. I enjoyed the Lynch version more as I felt it delivered more absurdities and Sting cracked me up. I will go see the Pt. II in part because it will be the only movie option available for 2-4 weeks where I live and my girl and I love going to the movies! We watched the Pt. I a couple of nights ago here at home because neither of us could remember anything about it (old people syndrome) so we are prepared for the story to pick back up from where it left off ;~))

Is anyone else also freaking excited to see this!? Early screenings are getting some rave reviews and Christopher Nolan offered high praise as well saying it’s The Empire Strikes Back of this new trilogy adaptation.
Yes, I've been anxiously awaiting it to come out and following the whole thing closely ever since the first part. I've read Dune several times, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune a few times each and I've read God Emperor of Dune. I never got around to reading Heretics or Chapterhouse, though. I'm a huge fan.
I tried to watch the original Dune movie a handful of times many years ago before I read the book and just couldn't stay awake through it, after reading the book it helped tremendously to be able to get into it better.
I like the new Villanueva movies better, though.
Without giving away any spoilers I will say I finally got to watch it last night and it was awesome though the ending makes me think after this he's going to stray further away from the source content with the next installment and I have to say I'm not very happy about that at the moment.

Edit - I should point out in regards to liking the new movies better there are things I liked about the David Lynch Dune better though as well, such as the more completeness of it but in order to do that the whole thing had to be narrated which takes away from it for me because after reading it I didn't need all that narration, I would've liked for the new ones to be more detailed like that but without narration and without straying away from the source material. Still, very very much enjoyed them so far.
I'll say again I'm kind of worried about the next one though. I wanted to see the trilogy as it was written dang it.

Last edited:
Just curious, did anyone read any of the books on Kindle ever? I have paperback copies I read first for Dune but by the time I went to read the sequels I had a Kindle and so I got all the rest of them on there and when i went to read them and I couldn't remember what something was I got tired of googling stuff and found this on Kindle and bought it too and referenced it many times.
1709857483246.png
I think the modern Kindles are like tablets now and you can probably just have an internet tab open on them but mine is an old school Kindle you can't do that and I was thankful for this when I needed it. My Kindle is so old it has a keyboard on it, still works fine for me though, no nightlight though is what it's missing for me.

Dune is my favorite book series of all time. I’ve read every book in the universe several times and I really enjoyed the first film. I feel the same way about Part 2. Amazing visual realization of the universe and solid character portrayal by everyone. Austin Butler is a stand-out as Feyd-Rautha and while Jessica and Chani both have significant differences to the novels, I liked the changes for the sake of the film adaptations.

The books are so dense in terms of plot and philosophy that there was/is no way to do them justice as films. It would take an extremely well funded series to completely replicate the first book, much less any of the sequels.

My biggest critique of Part 2 is that it felt rushed, even at 2hrs45min. And this is, as I stated, understandable given the ground they had to cover. That said, the film was a great interpretation and I’m really excited for Messiah. I think Villeneuve has done an admirable job on these first two films.

Back
Top Bottom