Dune: Part Two

I'm vaguely excited.

I didn't really care for part 1, but that's at least partly because there wasn't much that actually happened in the whole movie. I'm also just not really a fan of Timothee Chalimet...he doesn't strike me like I picture Paul. And a couple other things. No spoilers, but I couldn't get over how much I hate one of the characters for what he or she does (much) later in the books.

FWIW, IMHO...
I really didn't like the Lynch movie (but neither did David Lynch).
The good adaptation was the scifi channel miniseries from 2000 (that Paul was way too old, but meh).
I've read most of the books, and I think they dropped off badly after the first one...I finally gave up at some point during Chapterhouse after accidentally reading a spoiler from even later...and just didn't want to bother anymore. I freaking hate the basic plot of the ending.

Is anyone else also freaking excited to see this!? Early screenings are getting some rave reviews and Christopher Nolan offered high praise as well saying it’s The Empire Strikes Back of this new trilogy adaptation.

Yes! In my view, part 1 was a big improvement over Lynch's movie, which attempted to squeeze too much into a limited period of time. While I enjoyed the Lynch movie, the new version does a better job of telling the story. The highlight of the Lynch move was, for me, the end credit music by Toto, which is wonderful.

We were talking about this this morning. I enjoy the Lynch version. I can't even remember watching the new one, but I know we did. Nothing about it stuck. I can't even remember the actors in it.

I'm disappointed with the no Alia news.

I'm just hoping the penultimate battle of the first book isn't turned into a video game like the Lynch movie did.

I saw the BluRay of the first movie today on sale for $12 so I scooped it...perfect timing as I wanted to rewatch it before going to the see the new one. Very cool...let the games begin...

I watched Dune: Part One last night (I've not seen it since the original release in the theaters) and I remember how fast I was drawn into the strange, unworldly, alien atmosphere, tone, and overall awe of the cinematic imagery.

The immense sets, vistas, spacecraft, and the sounds (ohhhh, the sounds in this movie; Guthrie Govan had a hand in creating some of the bent sounds in Dune) had me all-in right away. The sounds from that Sardaukar guy talking on the podium are just....creepy and cool...as was his appearance. I love movies that "unsettle" me and challenge my familiarity and comfort with bizzarre images, sounds, and 'vibe'.

I'm going to see Dune: Part Two on Wednesday....I can't wait. Denis Villeneuve is my favorite director for sure....Blade Runner 2049 was a masterpiece IMO and set him up to be able to realize his full artistic visions for Dune.

Never been a big Star Wars, Star Trek, LOTR, etc.. fan. Never even heard of Dune until the first movie. I rewatched dune 1 the other night and watched Dune 2 last night. Cool ass movie wow

I watched it opening night. It's good. Nowhere near the best movie I've seen, even recently. But, it's good.

Alia, Chani, and Jessica kind of got sidelined more than I thought they would have, and some of the things they changed, abridged, skipped, or did out of order....those changes didn't make any sense to me. None of them really bothered me all that much, but I don't think it has the impact that the book did. The few changes that do bother me are kinda subtle but have a big impact and at the very end (literally in the last 2 minutes), so I won't give away the spoilers by complaining about them.

If they do make another one, I'm excited to see Anya Taylor-Joy play out Alia's story. I was wondering who they could get to play that part, and I think she'll do a great job. I kinda think that Florence Pugh is wasted as Irulan....I don't think she's the right choice for the parts of the character I think are halfway important. But, whatever. She doesn't actually matter that much in the long run...I just think it was a waste of money to cast her.

FWIW, I'm not a huge Villeneuve fan. Sicario was great. Arrival was pretty cool, though I'm not quite sure why it got the praise it did. 2049 was....one of the best screensavers I've ever seen and had a really awesome soundtrack, but I didn't like it as a movie. At least form what I've seen, if you like one of the first BR cuts with the voice-over, you dislike 2049 and vice versa - which comes down to whether want it to be cyberpunk/noir or straight sci-fi. There was no noir in 2049, or at least no good noir, so I didn't think it was a good fit for what I think that story should be.

Dune 2 really is pretty good. But, other than production value and the quality of the visuals, I still think the scifi channel miniseries from 2000 is a better adaptation if you liked the book. Really, I think the "best" adaptation is to watch the animated section at the very beginning of the Lynch movie and then switch to the miniseries.

I wonder how far they're going to go with it. If they actually follow the books for long enough (they've already changed enough to make it kind of hard), I'd be interested to see what today's super-fans say by the time God Emperor comes out. Or if they actually make all of it. The books get weird.

My honest guess is that they're going to make one more movie that combines (and abridges) Dune Messiah and Children of Dune and then stop. But, I also don't think the rest of the books are actually good enough to bother making movies of. I'd be much more interested for them to go way back in time and tell the story of the Butlerian Jihad instead.

I'm disappointed with the no Alia news.

Alia is in it (Anya Taylor-Joy, uncredited), but only as one of Paul's visions. She doesn't get her awesome scene, though. They apparently decided to delay her birth until after the first book wotth of story closes for some reason.

I'm just hoping the penultimate battle of the first book isn't turned into a video game like the Lynch movie did.

It's not video-game-y. It's a weird combination of kind of epic and really short, at least compared to how it is in my head.

Back
Top Bottom