Dune: Part Two

Is anyone else also freaking excited to see this!? Early screenings are getting some rave reviews and Christopher Nolan offered high praise as well saying it’s The Empire Strikes Back of this new trilogy adaptation.
I hadn’t seen the announcement, but I watched the first season several times, and am looking forward to seeing how far they take it and how they do.

I'm gonna toss in my contrarian take. We were so excited about the first movie that we ran out to the theater for the first time in years (yeah, I'm pretty sure it had been years). What a disappointment. They took a complex and fascinating novel and turned it into a fairly boring 'part one of a trilogy'. Everything was right visually, but a lot of the subtlety was lost. About the only thing I can say for it was that they didn't Hollywood-ize it to the usual degree.

We'll probably catch the sequels when they're available on used BluRay.

I'm gonna toss in my contrarian take. We were so excited about the first movie that we ran out to the theater for the first time in years (yeah, I'm pretty sure it had been years). What a disappointment. They took a complex and fascinating novel and turned it into a fairly boring 'part one of a trilogy'. Everything was right visually, but a lot of the subtlety was lost. About the only thing I can say for it was that they didn't Hollywood-ize it to the usual degree.

We'll probably catch the sequels when they're available on used BluRay.
I’m usually a very easy audience, but having read the novel(s) numerous times, the film treatment did feel shallow. I have to agree with you.
Nevertheless, I’ll be watching part 2 as soon as able. The visuals are stunning and the actors are great.

I can't imagine the challenge of adapting such a rich text like the original books and distilling it down for the big screen. I'm glad at least its someone like Denis Villeneuve who reveres the genre and is passionate about doing it justice to the best of his ability and not fudged up by say Disney. Ideally, I'd love if they did a run longing series in the style of Game of Thrones to really flesh it all out.

I’m excited, but I’m a Dune fanatic. For all its flaws I still will get sucked into the David Lynch version when I come across it. It’s really not practical to expect a movie (even multi parts) to fulfill your internal vision when having read the book. The book is probably as uniquely interpretive as the Bible.

it took guts to make the first movie less dramatic so the setup for part 2 would have more payoff, and this movie will have a lot of payoff I'd wager.

the visuals alone in the first movie were SO GOOD they quashed any complaints I'd have had. I mean seriously, the movie was stunning to watch even with the sound off in the background.

Everything was right visually, but a lot of the subtlety was lost.
I can't imagine the challenge of adapting such a rich text like the original books and distilling it down for the big screen. I'm glad at least its someone like Denis Villeneuve who reveres the genre and is passionate about doing it justice to the best of his ability and not fudged up by say Disney. Ideally, I'd love if they did a run longing series in the style of Game of Thrones to really flesh it all out.
I agree with both of these, it has to be a huge challenge to adapt stories with so many layers. I'd have loved to see even a season or two long adaptation, maybe including the next book or two... along the lines of the mini-series from 2000-ish but much longer and more detailed. The first movie did leave me a bit flat, but I thought it was still well done given the time constraints.

From what I've heard, the only thing that I won't like is they totally wimped out on Alia. Spoiler...
She's not born in the film, and Paul talks to her telepathy in the womb.

Very excited! Loved the first (and even the old 80's one).

i will kill him david lynch GIF

Back
Top Bottom