Dumble ODS

Thomas Larsson

Experienced
Am I the only one that believes that the tonestack on a dumble overdrive special is supposed to be pre distortion.
It is post as default and easy to change . Am I missing something ?

There are four gain stages in the Dumble ODS. The tone stack is in between the stages one and two which are both pre-distortion. OD stages 3 and four are the main OD stages. On the HRM model, there's an additional tone stack at the very end of the chain, just before the output.

Per the manual:
TONE LOCATION – This control lets you change the location of the tone stack. “PRE” places the tone stack at the input to the preamp, “POST” places the stack between the preamp and power amp. “MID” places it between the last two triode stages, and “END” places it after the power amp (which is physically impossible with a real amplifier). This parameter defaults to an appropriate value whenever you change the amp TYPE, but it can then be changed as desired.

Personally, I'd play with it and see what sounds best to you. I am not sure how many stages are modeled in the Axe. But assuming the input stage is your "analogue" stage, then PRE would be closest to the actual Dumble. But I don't know how it sounds, my rig is on stage ready for a show. You'll have to experiment and decide what you like best.

Yeah ! i've tried pre and it sounds pretty good. I was just curius if there was a fake tonestack allready in the preamp.
I've seen schematics of two different modells like you said. One of them had two tonestacks.

Per the manual:
TONE LOCATION – This control lets you change the location of the tone stack. “PRE” places the tone stack at the input to the preamp, “POST” places the stack between the preamp and power amp. “MID” places it between the last two triode stages, and “END” places it after the power amp (which is physically impossible with a real amplifier). This parameter defaults to an appropriate value whenever you change the amp TYPE, but it can then be changed as desired.

Personally, I'd play with it and see what sounds best to you. I am not sure how many stages are modeled in the Axe. But assuming the input stage is your "analogue" stage, then PRE would be closest to the actual Dumble. But I don't know how it sounds, my rig is on stage ready for a show. You'll have to experiment and decide what you like best.

The one with two tone stack is the HRM. It is a modification HAD did called Hot Rubber Monkey. There's no way to really implement this as part of the ODS amp in the Axe FX. But from my own experience, the tweaks you get from this tone stack (which is internal and not meant to be tweaked every day) do not affect too much the distortion character and can easily be emulated with the post EQ and other parameters such as those found in the advanced parameter tab.

What I wished is for the three switches (Deep Rock/Jazz and Mid boost) to be implemented in the model. These have a VERY deep impact on the tone of the amp.

But I've gotten very good tones out of the model with the early firmwares. I have to dive again into this model since the later FW releases as the tone has drastically changed. For the better on most amps, and possibly too for the ODS, but I have not found the sweet spot yet.

Reactions: jon
I have a Brown Note D'Lite and my favorite setting with overdrive is the PAB (preamp boost) switch which bypasses the tone stack. Is it possible to bypass the tone stack on the Axe?

I have a Brown Note D'Lite and my favorite setting with overdrive is the PAB (preamp boost) switch which bypasses the tone stack. Is it possible to bypass the tone stack on the Axe?

I have a D´Lite too. This is an awesome amp. I did a lot of mods to it and can´t wait to match it with the new amp match feature.

Just Guessing, but by turning up all the tone controls to 10 would normally simulate bypassing the tone stack (with the exception that obviously there are still pots in the signal).

Well try something: Twiddle the knobs on the tone controls and see if they're really all bypassed. As far as I know, the Boost on a Dumble does not bypass the tone stack, it only disconnects the treble from the bass. Maybe the design of the D'lite is different. But to answer the question, no, there's no tone stack bypass switch that I'm aware of.

To bypass tone-stack, put it at the end. Then tweak to taste, you will not affect preamp or poweramp distortion.

Well try something: Twiddle the knobs on the tone controls and see if they're really all bypassed. As far as I know, the Boost on a Dumble does not bypass the tone stack, it only disconnects the treble from the bass. Maybe the design of the D'lite is different. But to answer the question, no, there's no tone stack bypass switch that I'm aware of.

Just checked the layout and the D'Lite PAB switch also disconnects the treble from the bass.

One common boost on boggies and dumble (and clones )is to dissconect (or add a 33k ohm resistor to) the mid potentiometers ground side. This is not actually a bypass but sounds like one. The controlls wont work much and the low mid gets boosted (since most tonstacks have a dip somewhere in the low mid section).

However , I think that the tonestack should be placed pre distortion to shape the distortion.

So last night during a lull, I called up my old Dumble patch which sounded a bit like crap after several updates without re-tweak. I dived a bit in there and reset a few parameters, increased the input trim, turned the bright cap on, changed the bright cap from 100 to 120, moved the tone stack to PRE, increased the Hi Res slightly, lowered the LowRes frequency a touch and cranked the drive to about 8. Yummy. Played with it all night and had me a boat load of fun.
Thanks Thomas for reminding me of the Dumble Goodness!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom