dumb question - any "fix" for the loud pop you get when powering on/off?

These are some interesting observations.

Until recently, I'd always power on my monitor system (either FRFR or IEM) after I power up the FM9 (monitors being the last thing on, and the 1st thing off). As has been mentioned, this practice has always alleviated this problem for me. However, I accidentally discovered that when powering my FM9 either on or off with the monitor(s) still on, I get something I'd describe as a mild, understated click sound. Both on FM9 boot up and power off. Not a big loud pop (which I did get with my AX8), just a mild mannered, sort of wimpy click. This seems to be pretty consistent based on my recent observations.

There's a twist though. Just a day ago I was using the headphone jack on the FM9 to monitor through and when I went to power off my FM9 I did hear a very loud, violent pop from my headphones. Fortunately I wasn't wearing the headphones at the time, but that sucker was loud. I heard it half way across the room. So something is up with this. It seemed odd to me that my EV monitor just clicks, but the headphone jack does make a wiked pop when powering off. What also seems odd is we all seem to be having a variety of somewhat different experiences.
I haven't read all the reply's to the original thread so forgive me if this is redundant. Possibly try a nice quality power filter. Not necessary an entry level rackmount power supply, but one w/ a line filter. There's a lot of noise that can come from unfiltered power.
Possibly check to see if your wall outlet is properly grounded w/ a circuit tester. I understand that you're not getting a ground buzz, but you'd be amazed where electromagnetic interference might come from. It could be as simple as an LED light causing an issue.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I lived in an old Victorian house that had dirty power. All of my tube amps made horrible noise there even though there were grounded sockets. The problems went away when I got a Furman Voltage Regulator w/ line filtering.
I hope you can resolve your problem.

From Google:
Unintentional EMI sources include switch-mode power supplies (SMPS), digital devices, brushed DC motors, high-voltage ignition systems, and fluorescent lighting. SMPS is the most common unintentional EMI source; since they are now used almost exclusively in LED light bulbs, digital devices, and battery chargers for cell phones and laptops.

Intentional EMI sources are most commonly radio frequency transmitters, whose emissions we often refer to as radio frequency interference (RFI). This includes AM radio, FM radio, television, cell phones, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and many other fixed and mobile radio communication systems used by aviation, emergency services, police, and the military.

I think there's a setting for whether using the tuner mutes your signal or not. Not at my Axe to check.

All you folks suggesting this aren't thinking about FOH, are you... Maybe house mutes all channels during set changes, maybe not.

If FoH isn’t muting all inputs during setup/tear down the issue is FoH, not the player’s rig. If I need to disconnect at another time - like during soundcheck, or during a set - I let them know first if possible so they have a chance to mute.

If FoH isn’t muting all inputs during setup/tear down the issue is FoH, not the player’s rig. If I need to disconnect at another time - like during soundcheck, or during a set - I let them know first if possible so they have a chance to mute.
And if your unit locked up mid-song? What's the solution then?

Many times the "FOH" may also be the bartender or otherwise not available to man the mixer full time...

I think most people are smart enough to work with FOH when it's possible but it isn't always the case, so it would be nice to not require that.

And if your unit locked up mid-song? What's the solution then?

Many times the "FOH" may also be the bartender or otherwise not available to man the mixer full time...

I think most people are smart enough to work with FOH when it's possible but it isn't always the case, so it would be nice to not require that.

Yeah … if FoH is also the bartender then you’re in effect doing (at least) half your own sound. In that case I recommend a sub mixer or other device that will allow you to mute and change levels, including monitoring mix (because bartender isn’t likely watching for hand signals to adjust your monitor mix …).

So my memory wasn't quite correct.

The FM9 pops on power off. There's a small blip in power on, but nothing you'd likely notice if not paying attention.

The Axe Fx III pops on power on and not on power off.

I recorded some videos on my phone... I'll try to upload them and post links.

Edit:

Maybe this is XLR vs 1/4". I use Humbuster to my mixer on my Axe IIIs. Dead silent on power up and power down.

If you're in the live situation ask the FOH engineer to mute the channels you're using. After all, it's their gear taking the square waves, they should be happy to help.
If you're having this issue in your home studio try using a master monitor control of sorts so you can easily control your volume & mute when necessary. I'm using a Mackie Big Knob Studio. It works great for switching inputs to monitor, can select from multiple pairs of speakers, volume control, muting, etc........
that's not how it works in a small jazz club. Jazz clubs only recently started having house systems and can't afford an FOH engineer. The guy running the sound is a waiter or bartender doing it part time and typically at the beginning of the sets.

that's not how it works in a small jazz club. Jazz clubs only recently started having house systems and can't afford an FOH engineer. The guy running the sound is a waiter or bartender doing it part time and typically at the beginning of the sets.
I just go over to the board and mute me before turning off my gear. I've never had a club tell me I can't, they generally appreciate it, or don't care.

I just go over to the board and mute me before turning off my gear. I've never had a club tell me I can't, they generally appreciate it, or don't care.
i wouldn't even know which of the 36+ inputs is mine. I'm sure they don't want me messing with their sound board. And then, it's likely it'll be off the rest of the night. It'd be better to fix the issue at the source.

They really should be muting you or letting you do it when I did sound for an Irish band I wrote on all the channels with tape which instrument it was so I could quickly get to that fader
That’s also considerate of the customers in their establishment to

They really should be muting you or letting you do it when I did sound for an Irish band I wrote on all the channels with tape which instrument it was so I could quickly get to that fader
That’s also considerate of the customers in their establishment to
as i've said 4 or 5x, in a small jazz club there's not a full time sound guy.

as i've said 4 or 5x, in a small jazz club there's not a full time sound guy.
I know that’s why I said you have to be your own sound guy and know what channel you are on at the board
What if you had rampant feedback , wouldn’t you be more comfortable knowing
That you could just walk over and fix it

Gonna need to stick with the consensus and say that order of operations is the preferred way of mitigating audible pop from speakers. And that order of operations means first thing to power on is the effects board followed by FM9, with FRFRs or FOH powered on last. To avoid the same pop in reverse order when powering down, power off the FRFRs or FOH monitors first, followed by FM9, then effects board.

Realize that if you mistreat your gear often and long enough, you'll need to gig fundraisers for your replacement FRFR gear. Gear isn't cheap. Save your money if perhaps you feel otherwise.

i wouldn't even know which of the 36+ inputs is mine. I'm sure they don't want me messing with their sound board. And then, it's likely it'll be off the rest of the night. It'd be better to fix the issue at the source.
Why would you be turning off your FM9 except at the end of the night? Leave it on. The sound guy can mute everything right before you pack up.

Find the way your system works. If All fails,, mute/roll down volumes. No excuse for a pop when you figure out flow. I've been guilty.

Last edited:
this is XLR outputs on both the FOH and my studio inputs
At home I use Humbusters with zero thump on power up or down. At gigs, I use XLR also with no thump. Maybe it has to do with the state of the ground lift switch.

36 inputs and a waiter for a sound engineer?

If I am unsure the FOH has muted me, I'll pull my XLR out that is feeding FOH. Then power down my rig (using the proper order of operations that has been mentioned many times in this thread).

Back
Top Bottom