Dumb moments you've had with the Axe?

Well easy and not only for axe users…
But dark stage, pressing the wrong footswitch on the midi controller.
Changing preset not the scene, F*** shit up but the show must go on so a lil bit of Midi dance on stage and back on track 😅😅

Hmm. That sounds pretty brilliant and I now want to rework all 30 presets I use... It's not a big deal for the most part, but there's the occasional volume disparity, but this sounds like a brilliant way to do things moving forward. I guess the only time it wouldn't work is if, for instance, you want the mix to be MORE than 50% for wahtever block you're using. Thanks for the tip!

If you go to Setup > Other > Misc., scroll over to the "Practice" tab and make sure for the "Virtuoso" option, you change it to "ENABLED." I made this mistake at first, too.

For me, the dumbest thing I did was try to port my Axe Fx III kitchen sink preset to my FM3, get disappointed that it wasn't possible, and sell the FM3 after owning it for just a couple days. I later rectified that and now use smaller & more presets on my FM3 that I re-bought. But then the stupidy reared its head again. I couldn't get the FM3 to sound right, no matter what I did, comparing presets with how they sounded on the Axe Fx III and it just wasn't close. After hours and hours and many posts here, it turned out Output 1 was set to mono... THEN the presets sounded very similar between the Axe III and the FM3; thank gods because I was about to return it or sell it again lol!
I think that "Virtuoso" option comes with Turbo version only and while playing you need to have long beard and biceps like Vin Diezel. I should have waited for that model before buying the original Axe FX3. My mistake.

I played a preset that I thought had a perfect tone for months. Then one day I heard something that sounded bad in it. I realized that I had a second amp block bypassed with it set to let the signal Thru. Changed bypass to mute to remove the direct sound.

Sometimes I let the signal through just to hear how wrong I can be about thinking that a tone is perfect.

Forgetting to turn Input 1 Source back to Analog after reamping and then wondering why I'm not getting any input from my guitar. I've done that way too many times to count.

and, if you're anything like me you still do it. no matter how many times i've double-checked output control knob, cable connections, guitar volume knob, etc., it's always shortly after i convince myself it can't be me and start cursing fractal, anybody nearby and the world for my dumb luck that i realize, again, the input 1 source is still set for re-amping. and, i just switched it after recording a few minutes ago! i'll never learn. :rolleyes:

PtMpYU.gif

Drummer starts up, you hit that opening chord, and...nothing. Check my knobs...all turned up. Check the Axe...getting signal. Check the preset...it's the right one. What the fudge????

Oh yeah, this is the patch where I've got the expression pedal assigned to volume. Rock that sucker forward. Try to look cool when you do it, like you meant it to happen that way. Four bars in, and you can finally join the band. By the third song, the red has finally drained out of your face.

Wondering what the hell is going on, panicking because there is no sound out the Axe Fx and realising I haven't switch my wireless on.

My dumbest moment with the III was not getting it sooner! lol! Oh, and thinking I was in big trouble cause I had no output. Seems the headphone jack and input1 don’t work the same. Haha!

(AX8) Plugging cable for FRFR into External 1 that should have gone into FX Send. WTF!!! No volume. Turning knobs up and down, checking cables, etc. and then 15 minutes later smacking myself.

After spending an hour every evening for a week tweaking a preset then saving it each time, I have 15 presets with the same name and have no clue where I started or what was changed in each one. Maybe time stamp presets when they are saved? :p

I'm not sure why, but with the latest firmware update the normal clean preamp model I use (tube pre) for my acoustic guitar was changed to a Hiwatt model and I played for about ten minutes before wondering why my tone was so tinny sounding.

After spending an hour every evening for a week tweaking a preset then saving it each time, I have 15 presets with the same name and have no clue where I started or what was changed in each one. Maybe time stamp presets when they are saved? :p
That's actually a great idea for a wish list item.

Worst screwup: I rehearsed for a few weeks with a new band using purchased AX8 presets. Everything went great using OUT1. First gig, plugged OUT2 into the house direct boxes and got the worst sound imaginable.

I’m sure you can guess how that happened, but I didn’t figure it out until the morning after.

Luckily a band mate saved the day by sending my monitor out to FOH.

Setting an external SPDF clock, and then forgetting to turn on the Scarlett 6i6 that was providing clock signal. On maybe 6 occasions before I learnt not to be an idiot. ;) And numerous times, forgetting which output I had set up for which particular job and turning the wrong knob.

Also, saving presets without remembering I had some changes in bypassed effects that I'd rather forget, and scenes that I had unwittingly (or actually, more correctly, witlessly) made changes to that I really did not want to keep. And then next time I go to that preset, I'm thinking, "Oh Axe FX III, WTF are you playing at?" And then I remember, it was me. 🤣

Liam

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom