Dueling Morse Marshall Rigs

Dueling Morse Marshall Rigs

Here is my first foray into the nefarious Axe FX underworld. Thanks, Cliff :D I am now fully corrupted. I am quickly trying to program an Ultra unit to cover the guitar side of my sounds for the Hectic Watermelon Warped Tour gig – or other things were I doubt I will want to haul around my twin towers ego rig. In the process of building several parallel twin-amp rigs within the Axe FX, I have steadily begun to realize just how powerful Cliff’s machine is. Of course, it totally deals with all the Eclipse stuff, but I am really impressed with what a tweaker’s delight it is all throughout the amp modeling signal chain – from tone stack, to power amp, to speaker cabs to mic options. I’ve used or had every modeler or whatever since I first took a Zoom box with me to Desert Storm back in the day. Granted, I have had to tweak on the ultra for a few days to really feel comfortable, I now think I am there on quite a few rig simulations for most of my own music.

This first sample is to check that I have my classic Steve Morse type rhythm and lead sounds ready which I use on about three tunes. It uses one present that A/B’s with pedal 1 between a punchier medium gain JCM 800 and a slightly more saturated JCM 900. The rhythm is really dry and the lead always comes in with dual delay tempo mapped L and R with a quarter and dotted quarter. Pedal two adds a slightly modulated delay tot eh lead at 32 ms with no feedback, so it is more like a mild chorus. It also adds a little more delay. So, in summary this first preset I made is a rhythm/lead A/B with a B’ state. This is from my tune, “Steve’s Stunt Double” from my last album with Jerry Goodman, which really puts these types of tones through their paces as you are all over the guitar in all the flattering and unflattering tone zones. I’m curious to hear what you think.

AXE FX Clip:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/download ... id=6802703

TAB:

http://users.bandzoogle.com/hecticwater ... re_TAB.pdf

Uh oh, another monster in our midst. Seems the big boys are all showing up now.... :eek:

Welcome to the journey John!!! There goes the neighborhood.....

.... in a good way. Killer clip. Watch out folks, he's scary.

Things are going to get more & more fun around here if guys like this keep showing up. Woo hoo!!

Wholly Cow, Amazing John, completely friggin' amazing playing and sound. Thank you so much for the tab sheet, a rare and valuable jem, I can't wait to get started. You Sir, are a Scholar and a Gentleman!

Hey thanks for the warm welcome here guys. It is nice to be here helping represent what this amazing machine's capabilities. The next day, I'm still feeling like these are good classic old-school Marshall tones - which are tough to model, based on other modeler's inability to get them this close. It's a really hard tone to get for a bunch reasons, but the Axe FX has impressed me right out of the gate. If they sound this clear and punchy without a lot of unnecessary gain solo'ed like this, they will also probably both cut though and glue into a mix well.

Oh geez, John C is here...one of my favorite Hectic Watermelon tunes...Awesome playing and tones as usual dude

Man i got one of your vids from a school or some place you kick major ass :cool: :cool: :cool: .. you were using randall MTS in your rack it looked like sounded sick then to,,.

mojave said:
Man i got one of your vids from a school or some place you kick major ass :cool: :cool: :cool: .. you were using randall MTS in your rack it looked like sounded sick then to,,.

Thanks. Yeah, I have another rig with two Egnater heads. We have some youtube videos up at the www.hecticwatermelon.com website if you don't mind watching sweaty guys trying to make too many notes still sound groovy. :)

Weird... I can't listen to it. For some reason when I click the link it's recognizing it as a .m3u file, which is a playlist file for WinAmp... and it just downloads and does nothing... it's not loading the soundclick player. could you put a link to your soundclick page?

Hey John, I started working on the Tab last night, there's a whole bunch of fun stuff in there, it should only take me a couple of months, but well worth the effort. Thanks again for posting that.

Hey John,

so, as i´m probably the only german with a signed CD from you.....
nice to have you here - just wanted to post the HRI link here and still found you.

When you need next time a Rectifier in Berlin - just sent me the .syx file, i always will
have an AXE here for you.......(if you remember haha)....

wilfried

Back
Top Bottom