Ducker Control Help

Anthony David

Experienced
Can someone please explain to me how to use the ducking parameters in the delay and reverb blocks? I just don't understand them and can't get any cool sounds with them. Help would be awesome.

From the manual:

Ducking causes the “wet” level to be lowered automatically when the level of your playing goes above a set threshold. Then, when you play more quietly or pause, the effect volume increases so that the echoes fill the spaces.

DUCKER ATTEN – Attenuation sets the amount by which the effect volume will duck (decrease). A setting of 20 dB, for example, will decrease the echoes by 20 dB when the input level is above the threshold. Set to 0.0 to defeat the ducker.

DUCKER THRSHLD – Sets the trigger level of the ducker. If the input signal exceeds this value, the delayed signal will be reduced by the amount set with the ATTENUATION control.

DUCKER REL TIME – Sets how long it takes for the delay signal to return to normal when the input goes below the threshold. A short value here causes the ducked echoes to return to full volume the moment you stop playing. Longer times cause the levels to swell back more gradually

I look at ducking simply as reducing clutter. For example, with delay, set the attenuation at 10db, threshold at -30 to -40. When you play a fast run of notes at full picking, each note does not get the delay (which can make it sound cluttered). But when you stop playing or play really softly, you get the delay effect which is pleasing and not stepping on anything. Same goes for reverb. It just cleans things up while you're playing. I prefer to keep it subtle which is why I keep the attenuation between 5-10 db. Just experiment with it.

It normally less about getting cool sounds and more about clarity while playign. You can reduce your delay and reverb level while playing then when you stop the delay and/or reverb can increase. This way you can have delays and reverb be prominent in quiet section but subdued in louder sections. There are also creative uses but mainly it is just to get those effects out of the way while you are playing.

Good question i was just about to post this as well. Ive experimented with it but didnt understand it really. What are some good settings to begin with were ill "hear" the difference. I see InsideOut posted a few setting is this good to start with?..thanks

Pick a long tailed reverb or delay sound and set the mix at like 50%+ so it's very wet. It will make the effects of the ducking much more obvious until you understand what it's doing. It's like an automatic volume control for the wet part of the delay or reverb that turns it down when you are playing and turns it back up when you stop. It sort of gets the delay or reverb out of the way of the dry signal so it comes through more clearly. If you set the ducker attenuation to max, the delay or reverb will disappear completely whenever the incoming signal goes higher than the threshold setting. As soon as the incoming signal drops back below the threshold setting, The delay or reverb will fade back in over the amount of time set by the release parameter.

Back
Top Bottom