Dual Recto after latest update

jayjay347912

Inspired
Hey guys. I've posted in the past that the Dual Rectifier & Friedman , and Engl Fireball were the reasons I still have my Helix Lt. After Cliff's latest update...WOW. I can now say the Recto's ( I use Orange1 modern /red1 modern for a Metallica "Load" preset) have gone from not sounding as good as the Helix, to well above it. That "chunk", thickness, palm muted "plinkyness" and balls have dropped. Considerably. They seem tighter and a bit more articulate as well. Friedman's seem a bit more chewy and tighter also. Any body else revisit some of their Dual Rec presets and discover the same? I whipped out my black 80s tribute explorer saying "let me futz around with some Load tones" to playing for almost 2 hours. With my i.r it seems ripped right off the record. Great job by Cliff & Co! 👍

Hey guys. I've posted in the past that the Dual Rectifier & Friedman , and Engl Fireball were the reasons I still have my Helix Lt. After Cliff's latest update...WOW. I can now say the Recto's ( I use Orange1 modern /red1 modern for a Metallica "Load" preset) have gone from not sounding as good as the Helix, to well above it. That "chunk", thickness, palm muted "plinkyness" and balls have dropped. Considerably. They seem tighter and a bit more articulate as well. Friedman's seem a bit more chewy and tighter also. Any body else revisit some of their Dual Rec presets and discover the same? I whipped out my black 80s tribute explorer saying "let me futz around with some Load tones" to playing for almost 2 hours. With my i.r it seems ripped right off the record. Great job by Cliff & Co! 👍
Did you just load up the old presets or need to reset amp parameters for the new versions?

In my Recto 2CH Red Modern preset I noticed some new settings in the "Preamp" and "Power Tube + CF" section in the amp block when AB:ing my fairly new (1 month old) pre-FW 24.04 preset with the reseted amp block in FW24.04.

What I noticed is that in the "Preamp" section, the Preamp Bias is set a bit higher and in Power Tube + CF" the "Compression" and "Harmonics" have a slightly higher value as well. I n e v e r touch these values ever when making presets and/or tweaking the amp so that's where the difference is. And I clearly hear the difference. Sounds a bit smoother which I like!

Last edited:
The Orange Modern also have the same changes as the Red Modern, but have changes in the Speaker tab.

Both modes sounds, as I mentioned earlier, smoother but also juicier. Neat!

Helix Recto has always been good. Better than people give it credit for a lot of times. But FAS Rectos have always buried it by a large margin to my ears.

Sadly I don’t have Recorded a riff between both firmware and I can’t tell the difference after playing with it. Someone got a A/B?

What IRs are you using? I love the guitar sounds on load and reload

Did you just load up the old presets or need to reset amp parameters for the new versions?
I just loaded up old presets. Somewhere I read you can dis-select the amp and re-select to get it to "refresh" but after every update my axe-edit refreshes itself/ block strings & parameters automatically after the updates.

What IRs are you using? I love the guitar sounds on load and reload
It's by a Canadian dude I think. Look up "Bgalias golden i.r pack/ Metallica" they are free. I don't know how this guy did it, but these i.rs do 75% of the heavy lifting on my tallica presets. If you YouTube "rubberducktech and justice for all Helix" you can see how his Justice i.r from the pack holds up in an A/B comparison to a real Triaxis rig. That was the video that first sold me on high end modelers. He gets close. Like, REAL close lol thank me later (hopefully 😜)

It's by a Canadian dude I think. Look up "Bgalias golden i.r pack/ Metallica" they are free. I don't know how this guy did it, but these i.rs do 75% of the heavy lifting on my tallica presets. If you YouTube "rubberducktech and justice for all Helix" you can see how his Justice i.r from the pack holds up in an A/B comparison to a real Triaxis rig. That was the video that first sold me on high end modelers. He gets close. Like, REAL close lol thank me later (hopefully 😜)
yup, those ir’s are pure gold. my go to combination is 2 load/reload ir’s on right channel and 2 st. anger ir’s on left channel. sounds so huge and 3D. my live sound has never been better !

Here's mine. Everything at stock except Tone controls and Speaker settings. PEQ just for some final touches. One thing to note is I run my IR length at 256.

And they are OwnHammer 3rd party IR:s. One of the first Mesa IR:s they released which has two speakers in the same cab captured (called V70A and V70B) which is nice since you can use them for "left" and "right" tracks in songs. It gives a tonal coherence but still som separation which becomes a bit more important when tracking with Evertune guitars as they don't "boiiiing" on the strings so much compared to non-Ever tune guitars when you play (sometimes the the notes are too in tune which makes them sound like mono if your left and right guitar sound sounds too alike).
Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 22.11.04.png
Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 22.14.33.png
Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 22.11.18.png

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 22.11.37.png
Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 22.11.46.png
Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 22.11.51.png

Last edited:
As a recto users, thought it would be good to share some settings - here are some of mine - would love to see others.

For me, everything else is stock settings.

Here's mine. Everything at stock except Tone controls and Speaker settings. PEQ just for some final touches. One thing to note is I run my IR length at 256.

And they are OwnHammer 3rd party IR:s. One of the first Mesa IR:s they released which has two speakers in the same cab captured (called V70A and V70B) which is nice since you can use them for "left" and "right" tracks in songs. It gives a tonal coherence but still som separation which becomes a bit more important when tracking with Evertune guitars as they don't "boiiiing" on the strings so much compared to non-Ever tune guitars when you play (sometimes the the notes are too in tune which makes them sound like mono if your left and right guitar sound sounds too alike).

I appreciate you guys sharing! Want to make our lives easier to try yours and share our versions too by uploading the presets to save on changing settings :cool:

In my Recto 2CH Red Modern preset I noticed some new settings in the "Preamp" and "Power Tube + CF" section in the amp block when AB:ing my fairly new (1 month old) pre-FW 24.04 preset with the reseted amp block in FW24.04.

What I noticed is that in the "Preamp" section, the Preamp Bias is set a bit higher and in Power Tube + CF" the "Compression" and "Harmonics" have a slightly higher value as well. I n e v e r touch these values ever when making presets and/or tweaking the amp so that's where the difference is. And I clearly hear the difference. Sounds a bit smoother which I like!
Yes. And it's glorious 😍

Back
Top Bottom