Dual Headrush 108s for home stereo rig over 112s?

Fat Dad

Inspired
As much as I'd love to have a couple CLRs or those neato Friedmans, as a non-gigging musician, I can't justify the cost. I currently have a Headrush FRFR-112 and it has served me well live and home. Now that I'm only playing at home, I want to put a couple FRFR up on stands on either side of my desk. I don't want to spend the coin on studio monitors either as I truly believe the FRFR is the right tool for the job for me. My dilemma is whether to add another 112 or ditch my current 112 for 2 108s. Since I have no experience with the 108, I don't know what I'd be losing or gaining apart from taking up less space. What's your suggestion?

Been discussed too much maybe?

I did a search and some research, but ultimately this isn’t a “which is better?” thread. Just looking for advice on which would be better for my situation.

Been discussed too much maybe?

I did a search and some research, but ultimately this isn’t a “which is better?” thread. Just looking for advice on which would be better for my situation.
I don't use mine to play guitar thru anymore but if this is a multipurpose setup also for listening to music, playing backing tracks, ect.... I'd for sure just add another 12.

Personally, I also had both and preferred the 108 (thought the 112 was too boomy for my taste...). So ended up using 2x 108s in stereo with an FM3 for some time. Thought it sounded great and definitely a more 'budget-friendly' option I would say.

Let them go in then end simply because I have many other options in my home studio and just couldn't justify holding on to them anymore, but if I had had the space I would have liked to keep them!

My 2-cents anyway...
Cheers,
J

Unless you have a pretty large space, mounted 1x12s near your desk is going to be quite boomy. If you want the best experience, I’d go 108s. If you want convenience and a quicker solution, just buy a second 12 and EQ them.

I have both. The 108 pair works a lot better than the 112 for guitar. I have a thread Flattening the headrush curve that tunes the 108s nicely with global parametric eq to have a similar response as my wharfdale flat(ish) studio monitors do.

I use the 112 for my kiddos E-drum set now

Hey there

For home purposes IMHO the 108 are loud enough. And using it in stereo pair sounds great. Dont know if the 112 would be toomuch, but can reflect on the very good sound of the 108 in stereo especially when you volume up and be in a space near 10 meters or so. Great soundwaves response from the monitors reflecting back through the guitarstrings.. let it ring and sing for a while .. aaaaaaand exhale ahhhhhh.

There is a thread to add flatcurves EQ for the 108. I use this EQ and it sounds good to my ears

In stereo you'll hear all those awesome delays floating around. 112 or 108, at home situations, its just a number IMHO

20210523_234545.jpg

I have had 2 108's for quite a while now. They are great. Here is why.
1. Cost
2. Weight
3. Size
4. Loud and clear.
Use the EQ curve that someone posted here and that really helps.
Check out this post for more good info.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/flattening-the-headrush-curve.175796/page-3 POST #59

I currently use the 108"s with the AX8, FM3, FM9 & AF3.

I bought my son a 112 Headrush.
We find it too big and heavy, wish we would have purchased another 108!

AX8_12.8.19.2.jpg

Last edited:
I really like my 108s for home and moderate volume use (e.g. personal monitoring). I found I couldn't use them in a situation where I had to approximate having a loud amp on stage, but for home you they are great.

Back
Top Bottom