Dual Amp Strat Sound

stratamania

Fractal Fanatic
I was a little inspired by Tyler Grund's SRV preset that he used for Voodoo Chile, particularly the dual amp approach.

So I have been playing around with this preset today, using Tyler's patch purely as a starting point and I don't think any of it is now the same. This has different amps and a separate drive block in front of each amp.

The dual amps used are AC30 and Plexi. X/Y settings give variants on the amps.

On the drive blocks are X and Y settings to experiment with also. Each amp then uses a different stock cab.

Some settings just tweaked here and there. The vibe I was going for was a classic rock, bluesy type of tone to use with a Stratocaster. I was not going for an Yngwie sound at all with this patch, but was more thinking of a late sixties / seventies type vibe that would be generic and respond to the fingers, the volume and tone controls. Try it with some Hendrix or Mk II Deep Purple type stuff which is what I had in the back of my mind for the patch.

For those interested in such details, the guitar used was a Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster, with Di Marzio pickups as fitted by Fender, rather than the latest ones now shipping with Seymour Duncan YJMs. Unlike others on the forum who use quite heavy strings on Stratocaster's I use very light strings 8 - 48 on the bottom is what I was using when making the patch but sometimes 8 - 38. The heavier bottom strings I use on the Yngwie strat as it is always tuned to E b.

I also tried it out on another Strat with Seymour Duncan Quarterpounders, and it worked ok for me on that guitar too.

Hope the patch is useful to anyone out there that wants to give it a try.

Attachments

• DualAmpStrat.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 210
I like it! It sounds much better with my single coil guitars than it does with my humbucker ;oaded ones.
I don't know anything about the AC30 (I'll have to look into it)

It actually gave me an idea to try this for myself and I ended up combining 2 amps last night and getting really close to
what my old JSX lead channel sounded like. If I can get away from the wife and kids long enough today I'll post a clip and the patch

Thanks Simeon, glad you liked it. I think my next one may be an Engl, and Marsha BE combination. But this one I have been digging a lot.

Kmanick thanks for the feedback, good to hear on the JSX.

Definitely it was done for single coils, the Yngwie ones I made the patch for are a lot lower output than often folks think. No one on this forum of course :)

i don't use dual amps much - usually when i need to crossfade between two completely different sounds (think verse/chorus and solo in Kayleigh by Marillion) or i want to mimic a dual channel amp (being doing this in my Genesis tribute band), but i can imagine there is a wealth of potential tones available. i can see the sense in mixing two amps that have very different characteristics....either tonally very different (Engl and Marsha, as you suggest)....or perhaps with very different gain structures (clean and dirty can sound great). i also use two amps for The Boys Are Back in Town, to emulate the sound of two guitarists - the plexi normal and the brit 800 - and it's an incredibly wide sound (i have them panned left and right), partly due to the different attack characteristics of each amp.
keep experimenting and please post your interesting discoveries!

Simeon, Anything I discover that is of any use I will post. By the way speaking of Marillion tracks I saw Fish, playing last Friday, Shepherds Bush followed by Glenn Hughes. I went to see GH being a long time fan but I really liked the Fish, performance too.

funnily enough, we did a gig at a holiday camp (of all places) on friday and there was a comedian on before us who said he used to be in Trapeze with glenn hughes back in the early seventies. i guess it was true! i felt a bit sorry for him actually, cos he bombed and came off early! perhaps it was his purple suit...ahhh...how the mighty have fallen...

Wonder who it was, Trapeze had quite a few line ups after GH joined Deep Purple.

Last time I played in a holiday camp was on a borrowed Les Paul, and the headline act was the late Bob Monkhouse.

no, this was before GH joined DP...in Trapeze. he said he was still mates with Glenn, because they support the same football team...

i was messing around with your patch and ended trying out some different amps. instead of using two blended together, i ended up using two panned hard left and right for a super wide chunky rhythm sound. just a bit of fun :)

bridge humbucker recommended...

Back
Top Bottom