Drums….what do you guys use to make tracks

Care to share some demos? I'm always looking for tips and tricks on how to get my drum mixes better
Hey me too. Mic'ing and mixing drums is hard. Compression is one of the very important things to getting drums to sound good. The attack rate around 10ms really helps.

I didn't say the way I did it was better. It's just the way I do it. Using one of those drum plugins will sound better but I'm old school. I think you actually have to play the instrument.

Hey me too. Mic'ing and mixing drums is hard. Compression is one of the very important things to getting drums to sound good. The attack rate around 10ms really helps.

I didn't say the way I did it was better. It's just the way I do it. Using one of those drum plugins will sound better but I'm old school. I think you actually have to play the instrument.

I always feel the drums are my weakest part of my mixes so I completely agree with you. I use Superior Drummer and use a Native Instruments Maschine to perform them with my fingers. While I do consider it "playing" the drums tracks, it's really difficult to be intricate or have great ghost notes when I do it live.

It's easy to alter the midi later but it's so tedious and boring. Wish I had the capability to play and record live drums.

Thanks for the tip! Learning to mic and mix a kit is invaluable, so good on you for learning the hard way!

Addictive Drums into Reaper. Sounds great works really well.
You can tweak to your heart's content or just keep it basic.

Truth of the matter, Addictive, Superior, Slate, EZ Drummer. They all sound good.

I tried and loved addictive drums 2, but it's a little expensive...

Currently and since I sold my roland Edrums etc, I use mtpowerdrumkit2 the free one and I have Drummika to try out too !

I've used Slate in the past and was happy.

I've started hiring real drummers on Fiverr. It's like $30.

Reactions: sam
I got tired of waiting for drummers and just bought a $500 pearl drum set new, and a sm57 drum mic kit. Problem solved and I get fun drum exercises every morning it’s great. Wish I’d done it sooner.

I got tired of waiting for drummers and just bought a $500 pearl drum set new, and a sm57 drum mic kit. Problem solved and I get fun drum exercises every morning it’s great. Wish I’d done it sooner.
There you go.... I didn't want to think I was the only one that did this. It is fun and great exercise too. I want to get in shape a little, but round wasn't the shape I was shooting for.

Peeps to you actual-drums guys.

Some years back, I got an e-kit. Some years after that I concluded that multi-limb dexterity wasn't a thing I possessed, and went back to fingers on a keyboard or pad thingy. I'm just way better at that :)

Peeps to you actual-drums guys.

Some years back, I got an e-kit. Some years after that I concluded that multi-limb dexterity wasn't a thing I possessed, and went back to fingers on a keyboard or pad thingy. I'm just way better at that :)
I hear you on that! I can't play drums for sh** and I don't even try. I have a nice kit, nice mics and great drummers to use!

Parallel compression was an a-ha moment for me. Once I have the kit sounding how I want it to, whether it’s from a VST or actual drum tracks, I’ll send the whole kit to an aux bus and set the compressor so it’s only working on the attack of everything, then drop the fader all the way down, play the song and slowly move the fader up until it hits the good spot. It’s minimal but goes a LONG way in getting a mix to pop out.

Back
Top Bottom