Drop Tuned Metal IR Question...

Trainwreck1446

Experienced
Lately I have been using the new OH Bogner Beta IR's for playing the technical deathcore stuff I do, and I have been getting some great tones. My new favorite preset to use is the Atomica high, blended with the FAS Modern. Sounds great, but I am curious as to how to make it better. I have my low cut set at noon, and the high cut set at about 3 o'clock. I have done all the other stuff... Turned off Grid Modeling. And done the low cut in the amp block. Adjusted the dynamics and xformer match knobs. Have also started messing with the motor drive in the cab block as well. For standard tuning, I am set. It's all perfect to me. But when I am in Drop B, or lower, I am having slight issues... My lead tones are perfect, but the rhythm tones are just BARELY off. I can post a patch later. But I am using 2 QSC K12's with the ext sub switch flipped on, just to try and tame some of the low end, because I have PLENTY. Is there anything that the people playing in drop B or lower out there are doing, or any IR's they are using that are maybe better for dropped tunings? I know the general tips and tricks... But I feel as if they were mostly developed with standard tuning in mind.

And before someone says it, I am definitely patiently awaiting the FW 9.0 release! It has some things in it that are instantly going to help out. I am SUPER pumped for the Pick Attack parameter haha.

I usually just put a PEQ (and set the first and last tabs to Blocking) to tweak the low end a bit more. I also raise the presence and lower the bass the lower I go!

Lately I have been using the new OH Bogner Beta IR's for playing the technical deathcore stuff I do, and I have been getting some great tones. My new favorite preset to use is the Atomica high, blended with the FAS Modern. Sounds great, but I am curious as to how to make it better. I have my low cut set at noon, and the high cut set at about 3 o'clock. I have done all the other stuff... Turned off Grid Modeling. And done the low cut in the amp block. Adjusted the dynamics and xformer match knobs. Have also started messing with the motor drive in the cab block as well. For standard tuning, I am set. It's all perfect to me. But when I am in Drop B, or lower, I am having slight issues... My lead tones are perfect, but the rhythm tones are just BARELY off. I can post a patch later. But I am using 2 QSC K12's with the ext sub switch flipped on, just to try and tame some of the low end, because I have PLENTY. Is there anything that the people playing in drop B or lower out there are doing, or any IR's they are using that are maybe better for dropped tunings? I know the general tips and tricks... But I feel as if they were mostly developed with standard tuning in mind.

I play in Drop Ab and i made some IR´s in my studio. Feel free to use them, i just have posted them in a thread. ;)http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-user-cabs-irs/52002-new-ir-cap-my-rectifier-oversized-cap-v30-g12-k100.html
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/user-cabs-irs/48283-my-own-free-ir-caps-rectifiercab-g12k100-speakers-marschall-jcm900-stan.html

I reccomend the special IRs 1 , 3 and 6 of the Mesa Box for lowtuned stuff.

I play in Drop Ab and i made some IR´s in my studio. Feel free to use them, i just have posted them in a thread. ;)http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-user-cabs-irs/52002-new-ir-cap-my-rectifier-oversized-cap-v30-g12-k100.html
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/user-cabs-irs/48283-my-own-free-ir-caps-rectifiercab-g12k100-speakers-marschall-jcm900-stan.html

I reccomend the special IRs 1 , 3 and 6 of the Mesa Box for lowtuned stuff.

I have also been using the new OWNHAMMER BETA IRs. THey arent bad, for low tuned stuff dont use the Wide or Fat settings. Stick to the straight cabs.
I would like to try out the ones posted here by a very generous German.
I detune as well.
for my 6 stringers,
Bb Eb Ab Db F Bb
for my 8 stringers i use this same tuning but for the top string a perfect forth above and for the low string "F" perfect forth below. This way, my standard Bb six sits right in the middle of my 8s.
Low F is low. I have been using TS808 for the low end cut, as well as cutting it further in the amp block.

I posted a patch here under the name "Peripheresque" ITs a high gain, tight patch. Perhaps with different amps cabs, that would get you closer. I have not received any complaints about the patch so far. Try it out.

So many IR's to try, so little time. Looking forward to these Ownhammer V2 to start coming out. The beta stuff is bad ass though especially for the heavy stuff.

Back
Top Bottom