Drive pedals way too hot FW 5.01??

fourtet

Hey guys

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but after recent update all drives are way too hot. Even Xotic RC booster with gain at 3 drives clean Fender DRRI as if this were cranked up OD pedal. Usually subtle Zen or TS with low gain setting sound like Marshall.

Is there a simple remedy to it by chance?

Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:
Hey guys

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but after recent update all drives are way too hot. Even Xotic RC booster with gain at 3 drives clean Fender DRRI as if this were cracked up OD pedal. Usually subtle Zen or TS with low gain setting sound like Marshall.

Thx for posting this. I felt the same wayfarer upgrading the other day. I was also using a guitar I haven't used in months and I was experimenting with a new brand of strings on that guitar so I could not figure out what variable was causing the change in tone

Well, some of them behave a little different since the patch, so I guess it's just a matter of adjusting the knobs to get them where you want. I haven't found anything terribly different in my presets, but I've made some adjustments.

Hey guys

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but after recent update all drives are way too hot. Even Xotic RC booster with gain at 3 drives clean Fender DRRI as if this were cranked up OD pedal. Usually subtle Zen or TS with low gain setting sound like Marshall.

I see it to. I upgraded to 5.01 just before rehearsal, and my TS808 was SUPER Loud. However, out of the blue, my band mates said my guitar sounded thinner. When I make a software change I never mention it, because I want to see if they notice a difference. I hear it a bit thinner, too.

I find them hotter too, but after readjusting the levels I've been able to tame them back to how I like them.

I do agree that they are better.

I noticed this right away. A bunch of the drives sound better, particularly the Rukus. But the 808 and 808 Mod are now super loud, even at low volume knob levels. You really have to watch yourself when switching between them on the AX8 or the FX8 for fear of blowing your eardrums out. Seriously.

I am glad it is not just me. It is time to re tweak. I was running my Full OD and Zen with super low drive. Today at a gig I get both to 0 drive and enjoyed my results better than how it was with no change. I will think of raising gain and lowering level next time to compare difference

The pedals behave like their real-life counterparts assuming the port from the Axe-Fx II is accurate (and I have no reason to believe it is not).

Back several upgrades ago (pre-quantum I think) my goto drives got tremendously hot. I'm using, for example, a Fat Rat with the drive at about .15 which seems weird to me. Get it up to .25 and over and it's a noisy mess. Have not installed the latest quantum yet, but if they are now even hotter, well sheesh!

The pedals behave like their real-life counterparts assuming the port from the Axe-Fx II is accurate (and I have no reason to believe it is not).
I am not complaing about the tone. I have not dug in enough to for an opinion of better or worse. Shoot I am not complaining at all. I just wanted to be sure that my mind was not playing tricks on me when I thought they were much hotter

I have to re-visit this thread with a current observation

While I agree that the drives sound better now across the board, they are definitely louder (FW5.01) than before. So I need to re-check all existing presets that contains a drive pedal. For example, I had a gentle Zen Drive going into a mildly angry AC15, but after the update, the sound was overly saturated to the point, where it almost sounded like a MetalZone at full tilt. Re-adjusting the Zen Drive brought me back to tonal bliss (But I had to reduce drive from ~7 to ~0.5 and the level from ~7 to ~4).

Yeah I noticed that too. I just pulled the gain levels back and tweaked, they sound better, just hotter at old settings. No Biggie.

Back
Top Bottom