Drive Pedal modeling - no analogous settings to real-life equivalent?

Perhaps, but for me, it would be less useful to have 20 more drives and 40 more amps added vs having the existing models function more like the originals. There are arguments on both sides, but alot of the push back on the OP I'm reading seems to amount to "This is the way things are done!". I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning that from time to time.

Austin
I was merely responding to the horsepower comment and pointing out that no matter how powerful the hardware, someone has to write the code to make it all work. Maybe that seems trivial to some, but I'm just saying that it may get more complex to write the code just in the Axe-FX standalone, let alone having everything translate over to Axe-Edit. I've done enough programming to know that if you can make things that are more modular and somewhat standard, you can adjust parameters within that one framework to get quite a bit of flexibility. Having 20 or more completely different frameworks would most likely take longer and I have a hunch it would make for less efficient code.

I don't do the same type of programming so that is just a general programming concept. Not sure if it would effect the efficiency of the finished product, but it would take quite a bit more branching of the code.

Quite a few threads that talk about settings for a Klon so pretty easy to find some tips on dialing that one in.
This is true, but many of them are old and do not translate to the III. Furthermore, the suggestions that do (Yek's, for instance) is good for the clean boost Klon setting, but cannot achieve the bitey gain of a cranked klon (as compared to the Tumnus or Mythical OD). Again; I understand that there's some taboo about even mentioning this and for whatever reason it will absolutely NEVER happen in the Axe Fx, but it just sucks that the one pedal I would probably use in every patch isn't there and due to some inside joke it never will be.

less efficient code
This is the only good argument for this, IMO, given my limited understanding of programming. The time it takes? Meh. Do it once and you're done - plus, that's what we're paying for when we buy the unit; the support, update, attention to details, etc. Cliff does a wonderful job. I sincerely doubt one more page on the drive section with JUST the controls the actual pedal itself has would be overly burdensome. However, you're probably right about the code efficiency, which is a great argument for not implementing individualized settings; still it's kind of a shame that I have to scour Wikis and the manual and unofficial users' guides to figure out how to operate the Timothy, for instance, when (and I know Line 6 isn't, nor should it be the comparison standard) the "Teemah!" on the Helix has the 4 knobs and 3-way toggle like the actual pedal and all the knobs behave exactly as the pedal.

The usual disclaimer: I love the Axe-Fx and any suggestions/criticisms are only to try to help make it an even more amazing product :)

This is true, but many of them are old and do not translate to the III. Furthermore, the suggestions that do (Yek's, for instance) is good for the clean boost Klon setting, but cannot achieve the bitey gain of a cranked klon (as compared to the Tumnus or Mythical OD). Again; I understand that there's some taboo about even mentioning this and for whatever reason it will absolutely NEVER happen in the Axe Fx, but it just sucks that the one pedal I would probably use in every patch isn't there and due to some inside joke it never will be.

Drive block hasn’t changed from the II as far as I can tell, just has 4 instances instead of 2.

As I mentioned, the Klon changes from a clean boost to an OD as you turn the knob, so you ideally want less clean boost as you add more percentage OD.

I personally don’t find the Klon that unique as an OD. I’ve never owned the original but I had a Centura which is pretty close as far as I understand. It was a very good sounding pedal, but I ended up matching my settings close enough to where I felt I could sell the pedal, which I did. Given it’s size and always active buffer I can’t say I miss having it in the chain.

Most people seem to run them with lower gain, if not just as a clean boost. I liked mine around 10 o’clock on the gain, about 11 on the treble and output, but, my strat has very low output pickups, so that setting could be a bit too much for someone with a LP.

I found for me if I turned the pedal up more it got a little loose and muddy, and a bit harsh on the highs. The “magic” seemed to be in that mix of mostly clean with just an edge of dirt. I preferred things like a TS for more driven tones, or models like the FAS Boost, Shimmer drive etc as they kept my tone a bit more to my liking.

There are like 20 pedals in the Axe they do a good boost and OD, it’s really just an issue of finding one you like, and in my case, running it parallel with a cleaner boost setting to find the right blend. Could also do it series and get cool tones too.

I’m not knocking the Klon or it’s Klones mind you, but, I do think that sound is every bit possible in the Axe, and there are a ton of ways to achieve it if you understand what the original pedal does and how it works

Back
Top Bottom