Drive Models Suck

Let me be a little more clear. In the Fractal units you have so many options as to adding amps to scenes and such, that I use the amp's own overdrive rather than using a pedal in front of it. In my ten years with the Axe Fx II, I can count on one hand how many presets I used that used anything other than a boost in front of the amp. I'll let you know when I start working with the FM3 when I get it this weekend how it goes with that.

Yes, for a traditional amp and pedal set up, I've used all sorts of pedals in front of the actual amp. Is that better?

I never understood this criticism for the simple reason that if you know how to tweak an amp, you shouldn't really ever even need a "drive" pedal other than a treble boost. That's all I ever use.

I kinda agree here, even question a treble booster given the input EQ and boost features of the amp block. That said, very happy they have the selection which is included as I tend to start how I would with a "real" amp, but over time the pedal always ends up replaced by tweaking the amp block.

But the quality is diverse.
That is true. But with everything, depends on how much you are willing to spend. And the high end ones, around $1K each, sound spectacular. I wouldn't imagine Fractal would offer anything better for less.

Let me be a little more clear. In the Fractal units you have so many options as to adding amps to scenes and such, that I use the amp's own overdrive rather than using a pedal in front of it. In my ten years with the Axe Fx II, I can count on one hand how many presets I used that used anything other than a boost in front of the amp. I'll let you know when I start working with the FM3 when I get it this weekend how it goes with that.

Yes, for a traditional amp and pedal set up, I've used all sorts of pedals in front of the actual amp. Is that better?
I would recommend trying the 'boost' within the Amp block in the FM3. You can select from a bunch of the drive models (in the advanced page).
It has 100% eliminated my need to use a Drive block, and it is a quick way to tighten up some of the amps that need (for example) a Tube Screamer.
The drive blocks in the FM3/AxeIII are outstanding.

I would recommend trying the 'boost' within the Amp block in the FM3. You can select from a bunch of the drive models (in the advanced page).
It has 100% eliminated my need to use a Drive block, and it is a quick way to tighten up some of the amps that need (for example) a Tube Screamer.
The drive blocks in the FM3/AxeIII are outstanding.
I will! Thanks for the tip!

After using FRFR for years (RCF, Atomic, XiTone) I have a hard time going back to a cab.
I hated the Axe Fx II through a guitar cab. That's not what I personally enjoy about the digital realm. The ability to use just about any cab with any amp is an amazing feature. One that I had to turn off to get even a semi decent sound into a guitar cab. It just wasn't my flavor.

Reactions: BBN

It might be true for some kind of tones (likely the ones you're after) but it isn't so for every existing guitar tone.
There are pedals that have a unique sound that you won't find in any tube amp (e.g. big muff, fuzzes, pro-co rat) and they usually work well only on vintage-style clean amps (hiwatt, bassman, twin reverb). Good luck recreating those tones with just an amp block

I don't agree here. I had a XiTone that was tremendous. I'm thinking of getting another now that I am back in the Fractal game.
I have Xitone passive now and a gt1000fx and it's ok but it's hardly my Diezel VH4 half stack.

It might be true for some kind of tones (likely the ones you're after) but it isn't so for every existing guitar tone.
There are pedals that have a unique sound that you won't find in any tube amp (e.g. big muff, fuzzes, pro-co rat) and they usually work well only on vintage-style clean amps (hiwatt, bassman, twin reverb). Good luck recreating those tones with just an amp block
Of course! You're right. I can only speak to my personal experience and my needs.

I have Xitone passive now and a gt1000fx and it's ok but it's hardly my Diezel VH4 half stack.
Grab 4 XiTones, but 2 behind and 2 in front....spread them out as well.
Create a stereo preset with a different amp L vs. R. You will not miss your VH4 half stack.

I know that's unlikely to happen, but just pointing out that what you described is not apples to apples.

I hated the Axe Fx II through a guitar cab. That's not what I personally enjoy about the digital realm. The ability to use just about any cab with any amp is an amazing feature. One that I had to turn off to get even a semi decent sound into a guitar cab. It just wasn't my flavor.

If one is looking for a specific tone, running into a traditional cab works tremendously well especially for gigging where even in cover band scenarios the consistency of a single cab's frequency response allows a more consistent mix throughout the show. However, so much of the specific tone of an amp is due to the pairing of the circuit and cab config. Like if one is in a scenario where they specifically need to accurately get an AC30 tone and then a modern Mesa tone that's just not happening with 1 cabinet. And there's no way for recording I'd use a cab and mic it up vs direct. Really comes down to usage scenario.

Back
Top Bottom